Prediction Changes v Port - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

English not looking likely, was really hoping our three headed monster was gonna push Port. Hoping Bruce AND Naughts fire as we will need them both to stretch Port’s defense. Need a couple of mid-small forwards to fire too!

I don't have stats for this so perhaps I'm wrong, but based on my eye, the issue with our matchup against Port is that they defend clearance breaks really, really well. It's on the turnover game that they're vulnerable, but that requires us to generate turnovers in a defensive 50 where we're always undersized. Their excellent initial defence means that they negate our stoppage play, and their offensive prowess makes it difficult for us to put them in vulnerable positions. All up we get an absolute slog where we do all the hard work, they wait it out, and then score way too easily. Again and again and again.

To beat them, we need to hit our I50 connections really well, and/or defend their talls better than we have historically - and these are probably our biggest weaknesses. And, of course, we need to at least break even in the middle and apply pressure - if that falls off, we're done for. It's just a really bad matchup for us.

I think we should be able to get some turnovers in defensive 50. They have a highly potent small forward line so they won't play the negating type on Caleb or Dale.

Our inside 50 connections need to be much better than what they were for the majority of the game against Carlton. Bombing on top of Naughton's head against Weitering was a poor option.

Our lack of a secondary KPF option last year was the biggest problem. There interceptors ran off our smalls all night and intercepted at will.

My team.

FB: Williams, Young, Wood
HF: Dale, Keath, Crozier
C: Smith, Libba, Hunter
HF: JJ, Naughton, Bont
FF: Cordy, Bruce, Weightman
R: Sweet, Macrae, Treloar
Int: McNeil, Scott, Duryea, Hannan

Cordy forward might be a strange call but he's the type who could put some key blocks on for Naught and lay some physical tackles. Could also try and play a bit of a negating role on Alir.
Don’t mind it, I really think we’re a tall short down forward without Tim. Schache probably not the answer and JUH/Martin obviously not this week. Low on options after that, possibly Wallis could come back in and play a similar role to what you have marked for Cordy

Don’t mind it, I really think we’re a tall short down forward without Tim. Schache probably not the answer and JUH/Martin obviously not this week. Low on options after that, possibly Wallis could come back in and play a similar role to what you have marked for Cordy

Probably a decent option. Wally has been really good in the 2s and deserves another opportunity.

Bev: Big chance we give Tim another week. :(

Absolutely, learnt our lesson with Picken trying to bring players as back too soon and risking re injury. Also with increased risk of legal action post career all clubs should be erring on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no medical expert but I’m pretty sure a concussion via knee to the jaw isn’t as bad as a knee to the head. Hits to the jaw send a shock signal to the brain (I think) where as a hit to the head is a direct impact.

He’s obviously taking a little while to recover completely, but I can’t see it becoming a long term thing like Pickens was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back