Preview Changes vs Brisvegas [In: Greenwood, Comben & Shiels / Out: Pink, Lazzaro & CCJ]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sellers > CCJ
Chom > Corr
Ford > Sleevo
Phillips > Tucker
Greenwood Sub

More marking power at both ends of the ground, more of a hard edge around the contest and Greenwood is good insurance to cover any position if there is an injury. Have to be ready for a Brisbane team that is going to be galavanised with dirty laundry being brought out in the media.

I'd even consider Archer after yesterday, but 1 game after a long lay-off. He looked confident, disposal good, attacked the man & ball.
He'll be the bloke to release Colby, or dare l say it Harry upfield.

Clarko needs to wake up. The balance of the team is wrong. It's too soft, too small, can't compete in the air or lay a tackle. Bring in one or two of Shiels and Greenwood, bring in both Comben and Sellers. Don't care who comes out unless they're named Xerri, Sheezel or Powell.

Last edited:
-Jy’s role has to be a little more midfield skewed

-Shiels or Greenwood has to come in for some defensive influence in the middle.

- Tucker out, Ford to play a full game

- Sellers in , Stephenson or Drury as sub

- Would love to see Chom unleashed, but unsure if he should play in a backline without Corr for experience reasons. Maybe give Pink a week off, confidence would be low but also dropping would have the same effect

we're being beaten by bigger bodies around the contest, and blaming outside players like Stephenson, Stephens and Tucker gets the problem around the wrong way.

A midfield mix of LDU, Wardlaw, Lazzaro, Powell, Simpkin is undersized and too inexperienced (as a group). I understand clarkson's commitment to stability as the path to success, but we need to stem the bleeding in the middle of the ground, so it's one of Greenwood or Shiels (or both) for mine
Bang on. You could see at the ground much smaller our mids are. Stephens, Stevo and Tucker are role players whose job it is to run up and down the ground and provide defensive cover/link up depending on whether we win or lose the contest. We are going all in on fast attacking play and it is unfolding as we foresaw in preseason; will look brilliant at times but we’ll also get huge runs of goals kicked on us by good sides. Hot tip: we’ve played 3 good sides so far.

Phillips is working on stuff in VFL but brining in another small body is not the answer even if he was playing well. Still think he’s a big part of long term plans. It’s week three. It’s Clarko’s 15th (??) game as senior coach?

Midfield mix is out of whack - the good news is we haven’t actually made changes yet so we do have a few options. Greenwood or Shiels have to come in.

Last edited:
Outs
CCJ - Injury but form would have meant the same result.
Stepho - playing without any confidence and goes missing too much.
Corr or Pink - take your pick but one has to go.
Tucker - just has no impact on the game.

Ins
Comben - two VFL games now in the backline. Biggest, strongest, and best mark of any of our potential key backs.
Phillips - I know he didn't have his best games in the VFL but I think it's time to back him in to play that first possession in the midfield role and link up with LDU and Phillips.
Greenwood - Utility who can fill a variety of roles, do them all passibly, and can give genuine defensive pressure in the midfield.
Sellers/Maley - At the moment I think Sellers the more finished player and will likely add two to three goals from limited possessions. Maley the better foil for Larkey but still very raw.

I'd probably make Stephens the sub and start Ford as well.

Clarko needs to wake up. The balance of the team is wrong. It's too soft, too small, can't compete in the air or lay a tackle. Bring in one or two of Shiels and Greenwood, bring in both Comben and Sellers. Don't care who comes out unless they're named Xerri, Sheezel or Powell.
So you are saying a four time premiership coach and one of the best coaches of the modern era is getting it wrong, We get a genius coach and still can't please our supporters.

So you are saying a four time premiership coach and one of the best coaches of the modern era is getting it wrong, We get a genius coach and still can't please our supporters.
Every coach makes mistakes. His end at Hawthorn was not good. His start here has not been great either. The whole club needs to lift and I think that should be pretty obvious.

It really feels like we have absolutely no chance entering 50 if the opposition are back and settled.

Nobody is taking a contested mark and nobody is crumbing a goal in traffic. We basically have to hope for a free kick.

This needs to be addressed.

I like the idea of...

HF: Zurhaar - Sellers - Duursma
FF: Curtis - Larkey - Maley

With those 6 guys down there I feel like we have a chance at taking a mark.

Have Sheezel in the middle and pushing up forward for these slower plays.

You can sub Maley out if he gets tired. Have Stevo as sub because he has a bit of X-factor.

C: Stephens - Sheezel - Ford
Folk: Xerri - LDU - Powell

Give Stephens another chance but he's on thin ice.

B: Scott - Comben - Corr/Pink
HB: Fisher - KDawson - McKercher

Will Dawson must be in once he's ready. He is everything that we want and need in a KPD. Until then I go with the above. Strong consideration for Hardeman or Bergman or George once ready and pushing McKercher to the wing.

Int: Wardlaw, Simpkin, Lmac/Archer, Lazarro - Stevo

So, that means...

OUT - Tucker, CCJ, Pink or Corr (Stevo sub)
IN - Comben, Maley, Sellers, Ford (from sub)

Every coach makes mistakes. His end at Hawthorn was not good. His start here has not been great either. The whole club needs to lift and I think that should be pretty obvious.
We where never going to get instant success no matter who coached us after Noble. I am pretty sur Clarko has a plan and knows exactly what he is doing regardless of what some on here think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We where never going to get instant success no matter who coached us after Noble. I am pretty sur Clarko has a plan and knows exactly what he is doing regardless of what some on here think.
There's instant success and going 3-23. I understand there have been disturbances and setbacks but I don't have blind faith. I'd like to see some serious improvement this year otherwise things are going to look pretty grim going forward.

There's instant success and going 3-23. I understand there have been disturbances and setbacks but I don't have blind faith. I'd like to see some serious improvement this year otherwise things are going to look pretty grim going forward.
I have no doubt what so ever you will see it Don't forget the 3- 23 is not actually Clarkos record Rattern has a few of those losses.

Clarko has infinitely more runs on the board so obviously should be given much more leeway than his predecessors, but yeah he is not infallible and can't be beyond question at all times.

We should be aiming for 3 wins minimum after our bye, we play WC twice and Hawthorn + Richmond which at this stage should be winnable games.
If we go into the bye with a win or two that will help but the 2nd half of the year will be the real litmus test as to whether or not we have actually improved. If we are still having the same fadeouts and frequent heavy losses then we are in trouble.

Apologies if already discussed - but how has Biggie been in the reserves?

I’d rather persist with Pink than drop him. I’m a bit over Corr being an automatic selection.

Young Dawson going okay by the sounds. Do we just chuck him in? ‘Play the kids.’

Agree we need more maturity around the contest. I want Greenwood in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back