Preview Changes vs Collingwood @ MCG, Round 20, 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can never for the life of me ever understand why we are not picking a ruck, even just for the sake of developing at this stage..Hinkley you good for nothing Coke Zero drinking impostor, gtfo

Butcher 2.0

— “pick him. we’re lacking in that department”

“he’s not good enough”

— “why not pick him for an extended run of games and definitively know?”

“nah”

— “well, he’s been here for 5 years now. if you clearly don’t rate him, why haven’t you cut/traded him?”

“because”

The Muppet Show Muppets GIF

Let's hint that Sam Hayes's form in the sanfl showed great improvement, then not pick him!

McKenzie shouldn't even be used as a KPD. His strengths (booming kick, decent pace) have been completely wasted at Port. Chalk up another one for our master coaching panel.

Decent pace?!?!?! Do you not remember round 4 in 2018 when McKenzie had the turning circle.of a broken down limousine and Stringer literally ran rings around him. He was absolutely cooked.

I have been extremely critical of the coaching group but they've done a good job developing McKenzie into a solid KPD. The problem isn't McKenzie, but rather relying on McKenzie to handle the big brutes of.the competition because Aliir is not a 1v1 defender and Jonas is way too undersized to take that role too.

Butcher 2.0

— “pick him. we’re lacking in that department”

“he’s not good enough”

— “why not pick him for an extended run of games and definitively know?”

“nah”

— “well, he’s been here for 5 years now. if you clearly don’t rate him, why haven’t you cut/traded him?”

“because...”
"...we hope that he'll figure out what is missing. It's not that we don't rate his talent, we don't rate his work ethic."

Decent pace?!?!?! Do you not remember round 4 in 2018 when McKenzie had the turning circle.of a broken down limousine and Stringer literally ran rings around him. He was absolutely cooked.

I have been extremely critical of the coaching group but they've done a good job developing McKenzie into a solid KPD. The problem isn't McKenzie, but rather relying on McKenzie to handle the big brutes of.the competition because Aliir is not a 1v1 defender and Jonas is way too undersized to take that role too.
I guess he's slowed down somewhat by now, but I recall earlier in his time at Port he was listed as one of the quickest runners at the club. I've said before he's probably done better as a KPD than we could have reasonably expected, but I still think he's been wasted in that role. They haven't utilized his natural attributes at all. He could have been a weapon further up the ground, but no, let's use him as negatively as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet they kept going back to the well with Motlop, etc.
Surprisingly, Motlop this year had a better return in matches than he did in 2020.

And remember that he didn't start the year in the best 22 - he was listed as an emergency when we still had Dixon, Bergman and Fantasia on the sidelines. Mead got a game ahead of him. That means he was the 26th player on our list, which is exactly where I'd put him.

McKenzie dominated both King brothers last year. He continually outbodied and outmarked both of them despite giving away a massive height advantage. He's a more than competent key defender.

Would you say he is perfectly cromulent?

Port should beat Collingwood. Our form has been pretty good against the better teams; Geelong, Melbourne, Freo. Each of them is more talented than Collingwood who have struggled to beat some of the weaker teams recently (e.g. North and Essendon). They are also missing their only decent tall forward.

I can never for the life of me ever understand why we are not picking a ruck, even just for the sake of developing at this stage..Hinkley you good for nothing Coke Zero drinking impostor, gtfo

Because they're prioritizing developing Georgiades clearly. We wont play all of Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades in the same team, and Mitch is the one who has the most to work on currently (kicking accuracy, ground ball, chest marks) even though he's got insane potential.

If we have to choose between developing Georgiades or Hayes I'm taking Mitch every week.

Because they're prioritizing developing Georgiades clearly. We wont play all of Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades in the same team, and Mitch is the one who has the most to work on currently (kicking accuracy, ground ball, chest marks) even though he's got insane potential.

If we have to choose between developing Georgiades or Hayes I'm taking Mitch every week.
This is most likely.

When you play a dedicated ruck, you have to either move Finlayson or Georgiades out of the forward line because four tall forwards don't work. Eventually, this is going to happen naturally - Mitch was interviewed by Rockliff on the Port podcast this week and was asked if it was part of his game to start getting up the field more, and Mitch said that was exactly what he was working on this season. Because he comes from an athletics background, he believes his running and jumping is what will set him apart from other players and eventually he will become that roaming link player up the ground.

Also, for as long as he's been here, Hinkley has had an MO of praising a player for improved effort but not selecting him that week. I can think of times when he did it with Frampton and Howard after he kicked multiple goals one week. He does it to see if the player is going to be consistent and keep backing up or whether they will drop their bundle (which Frampton did the following week when he managed to get himself suspended). The other thing is that Teakle made the emergencies and Hayes didn't, so they were obviously concerned about Hayes getting around the wider ground of the MCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back