Preview Changes vs Nth Melbourne

Predict your Thursday night melt level

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have watched (either live or on device) all the pre-season and SANFL games.

Imho, the potential debutants “readiness index” is as follows;

1) Zac Taylor; He missed most of last year with a lisfranc injury and didn’t return to the pre-season in great shape. Then he suffered a concussion but he has looked impressive in his two games in the SANFL. He is a typical “rover” with good acceleration from stoppages. He had 20 disposals and 9 clearances against Glenelg. I would not be surprised if he is our first debutant.

2) Billy Dowling; Started slowly last year but showed steady improvement. When the pressure increased in the SANFL finals he was a bit disappointing. He had a great game against the Panthers (a very poor SANFL team) in round one and has been “solid” in the last two SANFL. Imho, he lacks the zip to play as an AFL outside mid or forward. He could eventually replace Laird or Crouch as a big arsed midfielder but he could also be our next whipping boy.

3) Oscar Ryan; He may be the first of this year’s crop to debut. He has good pace and skills and he is the only medium/small defender who isn’t injured or in the Ones.

4) Daniel Curtin; This is a tough one. He looks great with ball in hand but has been regularly beaten in one-on-one contests in the Twos. He is out marked when out of position when he should be spoiling the ball. His best spot in the Ones is the third tall defender but do we sacrifice Josh Worrell. I would try him on a half back flank but I suspect it could be ugly for a while.

5) Charlie Edwards; Has shown some good signs but he is a long way from being AFL ready.

6) Hugh Bond; He has looked better this year but needs to improve a lot.

7) Liam Gallagher; he has now played 3 games of AFL. He is so raw but I really like the signs.

Any other promotions are recycling players; Pedlar (hasn’t been great since he was dropped), Schoenberg (not match fit), Strachan (maybe), Burgess and Himmelberg.

So who replaces the 8 players who need to be omitted?

Exciting times………..

1) Zac Taylor; He missed most of last year with a lisfranc injury and didn’t return to the pre-season in great shape. Then he suffered a concussion but he has looked impressive in his two games in the SANFL. He is a typical “rover” with good acceleration from stoppages. He had 20 disposals and 9 clearances against Glenelg. I would not be surprised if he is our first debutant.

2) Billy Dowling; Started slowly last year but showed steady improvement. When the pressure increased in the SANFL finals he was a bit disappointing. He had a great game against the Panthers (a very poor SANFL team) in round one and has been “solid” in the last two SANFL. Imho, he lacks the zip to play as an AFL outside mid or forward. He could eventually replace Laird or Crouch as a big arsed midfielder but he could also be our next whipping boy.

3) Oscar Ryan; He may be the first of this year’s crop to debut. He has good pace and skills and he is the only medium/small defender who isn’t injured or in the Ones.

4) Daniel Curtin; This is a tough one. He looks great with ball in hand but has been regularly beaten in one-on-one contests in the Twos. He is out marked when out of position when he should be spoiling the ball. His best spot in the Ones is the third tall defender but do we sacrifice Josh Worrell. I would try him on a half back flank but I suspect it could be ugly for a while.

5) Charlie Edwards; Has shown some good signs but he is a long way from being AFL ready.

7) Liam Gallagher; he has now played 3 games of AFL. He is so raw but I really like the signs.

Any other promotions are recycling players; Pedlar (hasn’t been great since he was dropped), Schoenberg (not match fit), Strachan (maybe), Burgess and Himmelberg.

Exciting times………..
I thought it was interesting that Ryan didn't get a mention in Nicks' presser today as a potential replacement for Smith. He name dropped Dowling (with Nank/Jones sliding back to defence to cover Smith) and Curtin. Ryan seems like the cleanest replacement to me and I'd have liked to see him get a go in Smith's spot. Could be both of course if they drop Cook but that would be a huge change of direction to debut two players.

Exciting times………..
Given we are missing finals I would be prioritising plenty of games for your 1st 5 players.

B: Michaelanny, Keane, Hinge
HB: Laird, Worrell, Curtin
C: Nankervis, Soligo, Jones
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Fogarty, Rachele
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Ryan, Crouch, Dowling, Gollant
Sub: Taylor

Exciting times………..
Pedlar should be in the firsts. Its not a surprise he isn't playing well in the seconds. Probably got clubs in his ear saying to tank his value. How nicks could play Sholl and McSpudry over him is a disgrace.

I know that all players are different, but we picked Mcasey and played him within a few games, on the basis that he had high end talent. Then we persisted with him for a few games to see if he could get it together.

In short, we gave him early chances to show what he’s got.

Let’s do that with Curtin. Top end pick, get him in and see what he can do
We screwed up with McAsey. Unlike when we debuted Talia (who had Truck to lean on) and Lever and Doedee (who had Talia to lean on) he was literally thrown to the wolves from the very start, and made to take the best forward or resting ruckman. That was in a diabolically crappy team, week after week, with no support, and our defense under attack all the time. We broke him early, and after the circumstances of his family issues, he never recovered. That failure is squarely on Nicks, and he knows it.

We treated Max the right way last year, he never got the #1 forward or a gorilla, we put him in a position that suited his skills and where he was at as a skinny, raw youngster - and guess what, he did better than okay. Curtin needs to be handled the same way... yet Nicks is scared of screwing up again, and instead is playing him on the gorillas at SANFL level, which is really beyond stupid. What was special was that the kid had the potential to be anything, and the first thing they do is to try and pigeon-hole him into a corner in the SANFL that doesn't benefit him (or us) one bit. Sadly it's not the first time they've done this.

More so than the losses racking up, so many of us are angry at the failure of our coaches to recognize and develop the talent we have drafted (as well as the disgusting brand of football we are currently putting out there). I'd love to see what Curtin can do with an AFL debut... but at a position that suits him. Not full back, and definitely not dumped in a forward flank or pocket.

Exciting times………..
Agree on Taylor. Has as much talent as our other 2021 draftees.

Pedlar should be in the firsts. Its not a surprise he isn't playing well in the seconds. Probably got clubs in his ear saying to tank his value. How nicks could play Sholl and McSpudry over him is a disgrace.
Bring him back in & let him play his natural game rather than tagging the opposition's best defender.

Yes, Burns you ****ed up Pedlar's season you clown!

Exciting times………..
Curtin is a naturally attacking player who is being forced into a position that he will never see at AFL level, that is the issue. He is an elite talent, provides a spark to the team and supporter base due to the buzz around him and could not do any worse than Brodie Smith this year. There are zero excuses here, this is an elite talent that needs to be fast tracked.

With Oscar Ryan, his base would be Hamill's best and obviously has the upside of youth. No brainer change.

Pedlar is also an elite talent that needs to be persisted with, we have seen his best is more than good enough across a whole season. He has more talent in his little toe than Murphy and McHenry combined.

Dowling could not provide any less than Sholl at AFL level in any role.

I would really like to know Reid’s true thoughts. The work put in, the manoeuvring and deal to get Curtin for example and then to have the coaching panel not even show the slightest inclination in picking him. Reid along with Burgess are actually doing their jobs, being let down by others.

He’ll (Nicks) be hoping a win this week quietens the noise. Not likely…
The next three weeks, starting with Thursday, nationally televised showdown. A loss there (and if it becomes a Port downhill ski event) and there is nowhere to hide. Would be a stark reminder of the regression, considering how you beat them last year.
For the sake of him going, it may need to happen :(
I am worried they have mismanaged his knee injury as its been mentioned he looks like he is a bit ginger on it and we won't see him at all at senior level this year. I can imagine him getting despondant and seeking a move away

I am worried they have mismanaged his knee injury as its been mentioned he looks like he is a bit ginger on it and we won't see him at all at senior level this year. I can imagine him getting despondant and seeking a move away
I haven't noticed the knee injury actively hindering him in the games I've seen so far, but he's playing in a role that makes it harder to notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtin is a naturally attacking player who is being forced into a position that he will never see at AFL level, that is the issue. He is an elite talent, provides a spark to the team and supporter base due to the buzz around him and could not do any worse than Brodie Smith this year. There are zero excuses here, this is an elite talent that needs to be fast tracked.

With Oscar Ryan, his base would be Hamill's best and obviously has the upside of youth. No brainer change.

Pedlar is also an elite talent that needs to be persisted with, we have seen his best is more than good enough across a whole season. He has more talent in his little toe than Murphy and McHenry combined.

Dowling could not provide any less than Sholl at AFL level in any role.
Instead of focusing on his strengths they focus on his weaknesses. Play him in a role where his strengths will shine and his weaknesses can be worked on over time.

Bring him back in & let him play his natural game rather than tagging the opposition's best defender.

Yes, Burns you ****ed up Pedlar's season you clown!
Did Burns get on the piss with Pedlar in the off season?

Did Burns encourage Pedlar to train poorly in the pre-season?

Did Burns encourage Pedlar to play like **it in the pre-season matches?

Pedlar’s attitude and form since returning for the 24 season has been awful. It’s disappointing since we all expected a huge year from him. Hopefully the 2 weeks in the Twos will be a turning point If half a game as a defensive forward can ruin his career then he has bigger problems than I thought.

Did Burns get on the piss with Pedlar in the off season?

Did Burns encourage Pedlar to train poorly in the pre-season?

Did Burns encourage Pedlar to play like **it in the pre-season matches?

Pedlar’s attitude and form since returning for the 24 season has been awful. Iris disappointing since we all expected a huge year from him. Hopefully the 2 weeks in the Twos will be a turning point If half a game as a defensive forward can ruin his career then he has bigger problems than I thought.
Did Burns stupidly come up with the idea of matching Pedlar up on Stewart!

There has not been a worse matchup since Massie on Buddy in fine conditions.

Good managers get the best out of their people.

Our coaches haven proven time after time they are not good at getting the best out of our players.

We didn't get the pick wrong. The lad can seriously play. I just hope we don't ruin him and force him to want out
Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Wish we could moneyball Nicksys ass and just trade out Murphy, Ned, Smith and Sloane.. Imagine being a fly in the hallway... " Hey Nicksy your not playing Murphy or Ned tomorrow " Nicksy responds " I'm the coach I'll play who I want " " OK good luck with that " 😉
"I'm the coach and i'll play who i want".
Hold my beer Nicksy.

That’s disappointing. Your injury management is normally very good. I hope he can overcome it. Very rare for a player to try and walk after one year surely, JHF the exception. I think Dan will stick it out. He’ll get a chance this year, hopefully by the caretaker coach at the latest 🤞

Oh he’s in.

Imagine being a professional coaching group and game after game with post match reviews you look at McHenrys games and think, yep he’s an in.

They can’t do without a runt role, the pest who’s useless that runs up and down the ground causing congestion and supposedly helps with defence. To think that player then means you’re outnumbered in your forward line making easier for intercepting defenders and harder for your team to score.

Then consider that forward line as gone from the best to the worst in the space of 6 weeks.

I honestly don’t think we’ve ever had a more moronic clueless idiotic incompetent coach in our history. The results prove it and we re-signed him early.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Back