Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not gushing about our young defence.

Sent from mTalk
Yea our defence is a bit of a myth and I don't care what the stats say I don't even think Jonas is Captain material because I'm not convinced he's undroppable enough to hold the position.. wrong thread probably who gives a ****

2016: New club, new structure, Ryder suspended, Schulz injured, bad team.
2017: Pretty good football.
2018: s**t structure, moved around too often, Ryder injured, Marshall unavailable, bad team.

There's been some excuses made for Charlie when the reality is he was droppable at times in '16 and '18, and those who think that are in the minority.
Very poor 2018. Looked disinterested at times. Needs to kick a lot more goals.

Actually now I think about the statesman front is actually standard on an LS.

Somebody get me on the blower to Dix, gotta sort this s**t out.

Sent from mTalk

Don't need gushing. Just apply some commonsense and you well get the reason why things panned out the way they did.

Ruck duties aside though, Dixon’s set short is horrendous. At least if he kicked goals when the opportunity arose I could forgive, but half of his problem is himself

List of Port forwards who are 2 metres, 100 kilo, and apparently contested marking machines.

Dixon, Charlie.

Should we be holding him to a higher standard? Or because he isn't the flat out worse player in our 22 then it's ok?

Seems like the club has had a gutfull with Chad, not because he is bad but because he isn't getting the best out of his high ceiling. Would Dixon be the same?

Your post admits he was droppable. Let's not **** about. We gave up a lot to get him here. Is it ok he's been droppable for 2 of 3 seasons?
Agree he has underperformed. Drops too many marks and misses too many goals. And we paid a lot for him. It's time to deliver consistently like other top forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck duties aside though, Dixon’s set short is horrendous. At least if he kicked goals when the opportunity arose I could forgive, but half of his problem is himself

So you're saying he needs new pants?

Agree he has underperformed. Drops too many marks and misses too many goals. And we paid a lot for him. It's time to deliver consistently like other top forwards.
Nice guy, shame about his footy. Charlie stood up v the Giants and had a spectacular game the following week v the Bulldogs at Ballarat. That's about it for +ve stuff for Charlie's 2018 season.
Sammy Gray is the whipping boy of so many here so just for fun I compared Charlie's and Sammy's marks and goals kicked for this year (figures are lifted from FootyWire). As it turns out it was lucky for Charlie that Sammy had a spectacular form drop in the second half of the season.

Capture.PNG

Nice guy, shame about his footy. Charlie stood up v the Giants and had a spectacular game the following week v the Bulldogs at Ballarat. That's about it for +ve stuff for Charlie's 2018 season.
Sammy Gray is the whipping boy of so many here so just for fun I compared Charlie's and Sammy's marks and goals kicked for this year (figures are lifted from FootyWire). As it turns out it was lucky for Charlie that Sammy had a spectacular form drop in the second half of the season.

View attachment 574339

When Sammy rucks and creates a marking contest half way down the ground, then come back to me.

When Sammy rucks and creates a marking contest half way down the ground, then come back to me.
So a CHF who isn't much of a forward but can do a Renouf-like job as a pseudo ruck is what we're after?

View attachment 574339
Interesting stats.
In some ways Charlie's 2nd half of the season, in terms of goals scored, was way better than his first half of the season.
I did not pick this up in-season as he always seemed to be further up the ground and removed from scoring possibilities, due to Kens game plan.
Was there a subtle change in game plan wrt Charlie in the 2nd half of the season?
Looking at the data :
Charlie: Poor goal scoring potential 1st half of season; better 2nd half of season
Gray: Better goal scoring potential 1st half of season; poor goal scoring potential 2nd half of season
Almost complementary IMO.

So a CHF who isn't much of a forward but can do a Renouf-like job as a pseudo ruck is what we're after?

No. A CHF who is a very good forward when played in the forward line (see his 49 goals last year) and who isn't forced to spend half the game in the ruck due to our incompetent list management is what we're after.

Nobody is going to benefit from the acquisition of Scott Lycett more than Charlie Dixon.

You are saying it as if its his fault.

No. A CHF who is a very good forward when played in the forward line (see his 49 goals last year) and who isn't forced to spend half the game in the ruck due to our incompetent list management is what we're after.

Nobody is going to benefit from the acquisition of Scott Lycett more than Charlie Dixon.

That's bold.

I don't think anybody at our club will benefit from anything at all. Whole place is circling the loo.

Interesting stats .....
Yeah, even to me and I sort of knew what I was looking for when I started digging. We all know stats don't give the whole picture and I can remember both +ve and -ve things about Charlie's games this year (and other years) that don't even show up.

.... he always seemed to be further up the ground and removed from scoring possibilities, due to Kens game plan ....
I really, really doubt Charlie was way out of his nominated position for so long and so often due to our game plan. But I have no way of proving that. And in any event it happened so often that if it was poor discipline then what does that say about us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back