Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The melts on here have been quite calm compared to Facebook - multiple "members" have said they won't renew memberships until he is gone and blah blah blah

Makes for a good laugh

Dont give me that s**t....he didnt build that team, he inherited it from Bomber, bloody Brendon Bolton could have won a premiership with that team!!!!
Then why couldn't Bomber win it in 2010?

We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 preliminary final, we were written off over the next 11 months as being too old & too slow - Scott made some tough calls to drop senior players & back in the kids.

Then why couldn't Bomber win it in 2010?

We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 preliminary final, we were written off over the next 11 months as being too old & too slow - Scott made some tough calls to drop senior players & back in the kids.

Because he was half way out the door mentally, also him and Gaz obviously weren't getting on which caused friction not to mention sent Gaz to GC.

"Chris has shown himself to be one of the best coaches in the AFL"

Ummmm...when exactly was that!!!!

Personally i wanted to get Hinkley back to Geelong, think he would do a 10 times better job than Scott but oh well the club has backed itself into this corner now so they will have to deal with the fallout when we fail to make finals next season and beyond. No Imagination, no chance of a flag, gonna be a boring 4 years.
Che? Port won’t even make the 8.

It is what it is.

Hopefully now he has enough security in his role to continue with the more aggressive style we displayed in the last 3 quarters against Freo.

I look forward to winning the flag from 8th...or 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but I'm in the minority. Best winning % as a coach and we have been a constant contender. Flags are tough to win and you need a lot to go right. Imagine if we had Gaz for his whole career. Imagine Menz without 4 knee recos. Imagine Cocky and Linc playing regular AFL footy. The impact there would have been huge.

All too often we win cause the players are great and lose cause the coach os useless. Doesn't sit to well with me.

All you can ask is that the man in charge is invested and wants nothing more than to win. You only need to see his reactions to see how invested he is. I'd hate to have a camera on me when I'm home yelling at the plasma. Reckon I'd make Scotty look cool calm and collected.

And then there is the way he conducts himself in the media. He comes across as very professional and intelligent. I for one am happy with Chris Scott and the reappointment. Let's hope he leads us to another flag or two over the next few years.

Great post. What hasn't helped Scott is first round picks that haven't come on during his tenure. Smedts, Lang, Thurlow and Cockatoo (injuries) were all first round picks drafted during Scott's tenure. The club also had high hopes for Kersten and Hamling who were both taken in the early 30's. Caddy gave us next to nothing, nothing to warrant the first round pick we gave up for him anyway. He may be playing great footy at Richmond now, but it just wasn't working out for him with us. Motlop never became the consistent player we all thought he could be early in his career. Christensen walked out on the club just when he was starting to come on nicely for us. Menzel could of been anything if not for those injuries. The decision to get Danger, Hendo, Smith, Selwood and Touhy was absolutely the right call. We needed to fix the age imbalance we had on our list. We needed those mid 20's players. This prevented us bottoming out and losing money when people decide to not renew memberships. Carlton, Brisbane and St.Kilda are currently proving that bottoming out isn't necessarily the best way to rebuild a list and a club.

That lean period where those first round picks didn't come on have only just started to catch up with us and hurt us now. The last couple of drafts look really promising, we need to continue that trend and get good young players into the club and also get some free agents in that are available (Dahlhaus etc). Scott certainly can coach, the decision to re-appoint him is the right one and it ensures the stability of the club moving forward.

Obviously the club is happy with our recent results..happy with the way we are going ..happy with working with CS.

Its either a smart tactical move or a confirmation that there is one big gravy train inside the club where results do not really matter as long we are not ordinary to bad.
Umm yup.

What hasn't helped Scott is first round picks that haven't come on during his tenure. Smedts, Lang, Thurlow and Cockatoo (injuries) were all first round picks drafted during Scott's tenure. The club also had high hopes for Kersten and Hamling who were both taken in the early 30's
Ugly list. * you Wells! :D

Christensen walked out on the club just when he was starting to come on nicely for us. Menzel could of been anything if not for those injuries.
That draft year (Duncan, Vardy, Bundy, Menzel) should have been great - but for injury striking three of them very, very badly.

"During his tenure Scott has led Geelong to victory 130 times in 188 contests. His winning rate of 69.5% is the highest in AFL history for a coach with over 100 games."

Seriously, for Geelong supporters this is solid gold. A great coach, a great mentor to his players and a wonderful signing.

Great post. What hasn't helped Scott is first round picks that haven't come on during his tenure. Smedts, Lang, Thurlow and Cockatoo (injuries) were all first round picks drafted during Scott's tenure. The club also had high hopes for Kersten and Hamling who were both taken in the early 30's. Caddy gave us next to nothing, nothing to warrant the first round pick we gave up for him anyway. He may be playing great footy at Richmond now, but it just wasn't working out for him with us. Motlop never became the consistent player we all thought he could be early in his career. Christensen walked out on the club just when he was starting to come on nicely for us. Menzel could of been anything if not for those injuries. The decision to get Danger, Hendo, Smith, Selwood and Touhy was absolutely the right call. We needed to fix the age imbalance we had on our list. We needed those mid 20's players. This prevented us bottoming out and losing money when people decide to not renew memberships. Carlton, Brisbane and St.Kilda are currently proving that bottoming out isn't necessarily the best way to rebuild a list and a club.

That lean period where those first round picks didn't come on have only just started to catch up with us and hurt us now. The last couple of drafts look really promising, we need to continue that trend and get good young players into the club and also get some free agents in that are available (Dahlhaus etc). Scott certainly can coach, the decision to re-appoint him is the right one and it ensures the stability of the club moving forward.

Long lists of failed draft picks isn't a great look for a coach and his staff

This kinda doesn’t mean much to me, I couldn’t see a set of circumstances unfolding where he wouldn’t be the coach over next 4 years.

17 other clubs would make same decision if they were presented with the same facts.

I don’t love the guy, but he is not even close to coming under pressure to lose his job, and even if we had two really poor seasons, they would stick with him for rebuild.

Anyhow I don’t think Geelong fans are a ‘coach’ club. We never really fell in love with Bomber for heavens sake and he did an amazing thing. Not like the Bulldogs and ‘Bevo’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back