Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawthorn has just gone and recruited as many top up senior free agents as geelong has id say even better quality prime aged ones to keep a top four side identical to us.

How has it gone for them?? The idea we are only a top side because of mature recruits is quickly put to bed when you look at hawthorn.

It doesnt work like that.

We havent defiee gravity like this and done virtually the impossible without being bloody well coached. It defies reason and logic how we have stayed a top four side.

Only a very good coach could do what he has done

Ok.

Now I want our coach to teach our guys how to hold up in finals, and take the next step.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
So does every other coach who makes the finals. Some of them cant even make the finals the next year let alone compete

To be honest, until last year, we weren't even remotely competitive come finals. We have been bundled out with ridiculous ease.

That said, we finally showed a little more last year.

Hopefully we take yet another step this year.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
To be honest, until last year, we weren't even remotely competitive come finals. We have been bundled out with ridiculous ease.

That said, we finally showed a little more last year.

Hopefully we take yet another step this year.

Will see how we go in finals.

Apparently when we win back to back 10 goal wins in the season its more relevant to discuss footy matches from seven years ago than this weeks or last weeks result.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawthorn has just gone and recruited as many top up senior free agents as geelong has id say even better quality prime aged ones to keep a top four side identical to us.

How has it gone for them?? The idea we are only a top side because of mature recruits is quickly put to bed when you look at hawthorn.

It doesnt work like that.

We havent defiee gravity like this and done virtually the impossible without being bloody well coached. It defies reason and logic how we have stayed a top four side.

Only a very good coach could do what he has done
They did. And the year they weren't injured they went straight up and made the top 4 in the H&A.
Hmmmm it doesn't work like that.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Will see how we go in finals.

Apparently when we win back to back 10 goal wins in the season its more relevant to discuss footy matches from seven years ago than this weeks or last weeks result.
But it's what you do! I haven't gone back to see how this started.
But I have a little inkling maybe it's someone after a win having a go at people's past comments?
Do you think that may have happened?
Not that I care. I enjoy the thread nearly as much as those who pretend they don't.

They did. And the year they weren't injured they went straight up and made the top 4 in the H&A.
They also went out and recruited a whole heap of perennially injured players on the cheap. Mitchell dead set unlucky but the rest half expected.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

They are now a basket case of the AFL. Nothing to do with injuries so no clue were you got that from.

Hawthorn have shown going out and topping up wth a few senior recruits doesnt compensate for losing champion once in a generation players of your club. And they are were naturally they should be and were we should have ended up mature recruits and all.

Just been brilliantly coached is all

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
But it's what you do! I haven't gone back to see how this started.
But I have a little inkling maybe it's someone after a win having a go at people's past comments?
Do you think that may have happened?
Not that I care. I enjoy the thread nearly as much as those who pretend they don't.

Nope i came on here to discuss the games we played and apparently all that was relevant was games from 2013 lol.

What have you thought of the coaching the past 4 games?? Lets continue to discuss it

ultimate warrior

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
Dandy
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes and how many teams who bottom out, change coach, and go to the draft, would have been back where we are if they made that decision after 2013? It's only taken Carlton 2 decades to not be in contention again. It took Richmond how long? Melbourne? Gold Coast started from scratch but they got a pretty good hand early and did nothing with it. St Kilda begin to start again 2 years before we did. They're still behind us. Brisbane spent 14 years doing it and again they're probably no closer to another flag than what we are right now. Sydney have been thereabouts with us in terms of age profile, consistency - granted they have won a flag since we did (by one year) and have been back to a grand final but from the 'rules' I'm reading in here that's a failure. Now they look miles away. the Pies have been back to a grand final since 2011 but that aside, they have been in no man's land for part of that time, also rans in the top four for some of that time. They are in no better position than what we are.

When someone can tell me "changing coaches and picking one up from the combination of untried assistants, and out-of-work head coaches who are out of work for a reason, and bottoming out has a high success rate" and back it up with some proof, I'll maybe reconsider my view on things. But at the moment that won't happen because there is no proof. I like being competitive better, and still being in position to challenge without selling our soul and accepting years of not competing.

As I've said many, many times. The one thing NRL has all over AFL is that at the start of any given year, 75 per cent of teams have their sights set on finals and challenging for a title. the day i follow a team who deliberately chooses potential future success over attainable current success, is the day I lose faith in the concept of team sport.
Best post of 2020 by a mile.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No they were apparently better quality and prime aged than what we got.
See post I was replying too (and you liked)

Yeah mitchel omeara wingard in their primes are no good and s**t. impey, henderson, Scully, frost. Very good players and mature recruits to go with their ageing stars no different to the situation we had.

we should have performed the same as hawthorn. We were just brilliantly coached

Yeah mitchel omeara wingard in their primes are no good and sh*t. impey, henderson, Scully, frost. Very good players and mature recruits to go with their ageing stars no different to the situation we had.

we should have performed the same as hawthorn. We were just brilliantly coached
We are brilliantly coached.
What would you think if we win the flag this year, and GAJ, Harry, Selwood and CS all retire?
Kind of a nice symmetry. Flag year 1, 2011, Flag year 10, 2020
Whilst I love CS as a coach and spokesperson for our club- he is easily the best- I would not be devastated if that scenario took place.
Meanwhile, back in realityville, I hope CS stays on for as long as he wants to. He is still doing an absolutely awesome job with our list, and whilst Tigers and WCE are the likely 2 GF teams, and should be favourites, we are yet again in contention.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
We are brilliantly coached.
What would you think if we win the flag this year, and GAJ, Harry, Selwood and CS all retire?
Kind of a nice symmetry. Flag year 1, 2011, Flag year 10, 2020
Whilst I love CS as a coach and spokesperson for our club- he is easily the best- I would not be devastated if that scenario took place.
Meanwhile, back in realityville, I hope CS stays on for as long as he wants to. He is still doing an absolutely awesome job with our list, and whilst Tigers and WCE are the likely 2 GF teams, and should be favourites, we are yet again in contention.

very fairytale like indeed!!

I do believe CS should be given a new contract If he wants. His brilliant record warrants it.

if he wins a second flag he becomes our best coach of all time for my liking. Leapfrogs Thompson and bob Davis.

equal flags but a much better record over his entire tenure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back