Coaching misconceptions

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really not sure what line coaches do....wtf could henry playfair teach buddy ?
Coaches wouldn't teach much about the skill side of the game - as you suggest these are the best players in the country, there's not a lot to teach. Coaches would be more involved in a structural perspective - how are players setting up when the play is not in their area, when it is in their area, stoppages etc. Also, what areas players are getting it wrong on the day - they might be overusing handball, or letting players free at stoppages for example.

When it comes to a GF, my point is at that point in a season you’re not learning anything new. You can’t blame a coach for a GF **** up.

I think you’ve gone a bit extreme there.
I think you've gone nonsensical there

Some utterly deluded and ignorant gobshites seem to think that a coach’s winning percentage is more important than premierships.

Yeah, agreed. Buckley has a higher win % than Hardwick. Similarly, I'd rather be Clarkson than Longmire or Simpson, and have 4 flags to show over having a higher winning %.

What Lyon said in his latest West Australian interview pretty much sums up the the rebuild debate: "Everyone who criticises me for not rebuilding, all I ask for is time."

He didn't leave the Saints because he was worried at the thought of going through a rebuild, he left because it took them 6 months to sort out his contract and by the time they did he'd gotten a better offer. Their loss.

Has his players kicked straight in 09 he'd have at least one premiership. With a bit of luck he'd have three. All with lists less superior then the opposition he faced. It's fine not to like his gameplan during those periods, but if anyone says he can't coach they clearly don't know s***.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back