Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond plays Carlton in R1 every year. Richmond plays Essendon in Dreamtime.

Collingwood is nowhere to be seen. We fundamentally dont care about the wobbles because theyve won 2 flags in 60 years. Its almost as bad a record as St Kilda. Thats just the reality. Richmond 100,000 members 5 years in a row, Collingwood never done it, Richmond first club to a million spectators through the gates, Collingwood were runners up there too. Theyre always coming second. Its not their fault theyve been losers for half a century.

Collingwood is nowhere to be seen. We fundamentally dont care about the wobbles because theyve won 2 flags in 60 years. Its almost as bad a record as St Kilda. Thats just the reality. Richmond 100,000 members 5 years in a row, Collingwood never done it, Richmond first club to a million spectators through the gates, Collingwood were runners up there too. Theyre always coming second. Its not their fault theyve been losers for half a century.
Playing Carlton is your argument?

Jason Castagna has won more flags in the last 5 years than Collingwood has over the last 50.

No its just we prioritise our season opener be against carlton and dreamtime v essendon. we dont need a big game v collingwood its not that important to us as a club.
I agree. Collingwood is undoubtedly a big game but no longer the biggest H and A game. Carlton round one is the most looked forward to and when Essendon get going Dreamtime won't need a public holiday to draw a crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t say I dislike the pies more than any other Melbourne club. Would actually like to see a feature game developed between the two. Seems like the missing piece of the Tigers blockbuster fixtures.would be great for both clubs

Kmart Shoes - 20 bucks.
What's not to like.
Didn't take me to a flag, but took me to my mate's wedding.

20220828_105730.jpg

So, you walk around, chest out, boasting about your little black and white army, I pop your bubble with home truths and im the w***er?

Look, straight up,

Before you boast, win a ******* premiership

Just win a grand final.

Win a couple,

Do it consistently,

Your club and supporters at VIC Park were insulting indigenous Australians and people of colour for decades.

The Tigers and Brendon Gale funded the KGI Institute, propelled dreamtime at the g, came up with the concept of the indigenous guernsey designs that all other clubs, including yours copied.

First with 1 million spectators to enter the turnstiles in a year

First club wirh 100,000 members

Could possibly win 4 premierships in 6 years in the modern era.

You wanna impress me? Talk about Collingwoods work with homeless shelters, talk about the transition out of pokie revenue.

The fact you and your kind, sit here and boast about results? For real ? We just won 3 flags, what the hell are you boasting about? Your coach is a Richmond man, he has brought the learnings from Richmond to Collingwood.

You guys are imbeciles, you're having an argument with a white wall, no Richmond supporters are even posting here except me, no one caresssssssssss

This isn't a Richmond/Collingwood argument.

We didn't go around looking for ways to 'do better', and we certainly didn't sack our coach and president for being involved in racial controversy

Just, like, legit, shut up and enjoy your recent run of awesome wins, rather than just to dick measure with a dynasty

Ffs, I hope the truth didn't make you cry but you need to hear it omg one move away from Lumumba coming bsck for more
You do realise McCrae was at Collingwood before Richmond, right?

No its just we prioritise our season opener be against carlton and dreamtime v essendon. we dont need a big game v collingwood its not that important to us as a club.

Jordan DeGoey kmart Dusty

Jason Castagna has won more flags in the last 5 years than Collingwood has over the last 50.

Exactly! Thats why we dont care about Collingwood. For us Richmond v Carlton is the one we care about.

Close your eyes... Take a breath.

Now once you open them, realize this: The success of the team you cheer for, is in no way/shape or form, indicative of your success in life. You should probably re-assess how you look at things because boy you sure have a shitty opinion. A real bad attitude. I couldn't imagine you being pleasant company.

Close your eyes... Take a breath.

Now once you open them, realize this: The success of the team you cheer for, is in no way/shape or form, indicative of your success in life. You should probably re-assess how you look at things because boy you sure have a shitty opinion. A real bad attitude. I couldn't imagine you being pleasant company.
Truth hurts. I understand. I really do lol.

This question largely depends on age and politics and a whole lot of other variables. I'm an historian, so I am sensitive to all the Minogue stuff (not Kylie but her - I'm just joking here - great grandfather) who was a champion Collingwood player who got pissed off with Collingwood's treatment of a returned Anzac and coached Richmond to its first premiership in 1920 using hand signals developed by the Anzacs in the trenches.

Then the Pies did wIn 3 premierships in a row against Richmond which is why Jack Dyer famously said that he wouldn't watch black and white TV (even though he made his career appearing on it, so I suspect that's not true). I'm unbelievably old (I turn 61 in a few weeks) and despite growing up in Canberra with a Rugby League fanatical father, I have enough memories of the game from my youth to remember when the two dominant sides in the competition were Richmond and Carlton. We won in '67. 69, 73 74 and 80. They won in 68, 70, 72, 79, 81 and 82. We played each other in GFs in 68, 72, 73, and 82 for two wins each.

Collingwood featured during this period merely as a punching bag, losing three grannies to Carlton and one to us (by a then record margin) as well, of course to North Melbourne in 1977. The historical rivalry from the past had some relevance when Tom Hafey went to the Pies, though it only resulted in more mirth as he proceeded to lose his GF winning touch. In docos about the 1980 GF it's usually highlighted that Graeme Richmond warned the Tiger players that they'd be sacked if they didn't win against "the old enemy". But then GR was a prize campaigner who was educated at Geelong Grammar, and who proceeded to nearly wreck the club by pursuing a trading war with Collingwood.

Which brings me to the politics. Richmond and Collingwood were both inner city working class suburbs with a large Irish Catholic demographic. They were both heartlands of the ALP. In the 1943 state election, the only two candidates for the seat of Richmond were from the Communist Party and the ALP. The only two other electorates in which the Tories didn't bother to stand were Port Melbourne and Collingwood (the Communists did best in Port Melbourne, then Richmond then Collingwood). In the early 1950s, after the state seat of Richmond had (temporarily) fell to a Grouper, the first choice of candidate for the ALP to compete for the federal seat in a byelection was Jack Dyer, before they settled instead on an economics lecturer called Jim Cairns. When Cairns headed the Moratorium Campaign against the Vietnam War, all the meetings were held in the Richmond Town Hall. Meanwhile, Carlton had Bob Menzies attending games at Princes Park sitting in his chauffeur driven Bentley.

So to someone of my age and politics (I'm an unreconstructed old Trot who's of Tasmanian Aboriginal origins and also descended from an Irish convict who was sentenced for stealing potatoes during the famine) hatred of Carlton has always made more sense. But then that's probably just me. Those are pretty specific descriptors after all.

I’m definitely biased, but I never feel the rivalries in Melbourne today are as significant as in Adelaide and Perth. I think having a footy obsessed city with only two teams creates an atmosphere that can’t be replicated in a 9 team city.

That being said, when two of the Melbourne clubs are up and running and the game has actual context there is a vibe that I don’t think can be replicated elsewhere. Just watching the Carlton v Collingwood game on TV was something pretty unique.

But as a neutral, it feels that those rivalries are dependent on the quality at the time of the two teams, if one or both of the teams are s**t it loses some of the significance.

Whereas in a two team town beating the other side is always a big deal, regardless of ladder positioning.

As for Collingwood and Richmond, with the exception of the 2018 prelim I can’t recall too many particularly memorable games between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back