Game Day Collingwood v Brisbane, Gabba, 6 April, 7.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh what a glorious time to be a Magpie fan. Even if we don't hold the cup up at the end of the year, there's so much joy in the process. Have I ever enjoyed the football as much? Well yes, in 1990. But that's a distant memory.

And don't I love beating Richmond now. I won't rake over the ashes of the Richmond fire. It's out. There's nothing but cold ashes. Richmond are done. Let's move on to Brisbane.

THE MAGPIES

Well, we have a ruck crisis. Three rucks down for the foreseeable future. We're going to have to get creative says McRae. Ain't that the truth. There isn't a great solution but I think this is the most likely scenario: McStay plays in the ruck, helped by Johnson, while Mihocek goes back to being our key forward supported by a group of smaller types: Johnson when he's not rucking, McInnis and/or Wilson as tallish flankers, and maybe De Goey pinch-hitting if required. It's cobbled together, but it will still be dynamic and destructive. A month of that and with any luck we'll have a ruckman to come back and fill the hole -- Begg or Cox most likely.

The Lions

I used to hate this crew, as the memory of 2002/2003 lingered. Back in 2003 - from memory -- we played them in an earlier final. I watched Didak kick close to the winning goal. The cheers went up! I looked across the crowd to see a blonde girl looking back. Five minutes later she came over and asked me out. A couple of weeks later we were smashed in the grand final. I never called the girl back. Lost opportunities.

But 20 years of mediocrity has made me soften toward the Lions. Half our coaches come from that cohort of Lions, so now I just hate Voss. And I always will. The current team are talented and fragile as a flower. At the Gabba they're dangerous. Elsewhere they're flaky. Their key forwards don't impose, their backline is leaky, their midfield overrated. The problem is they're a bit like a power switch - either on or off. What will we get this week?

The Washup

I rate this as a danger game. With our ruck problems, our structure is going to be thrown out. The Lions are at home, where they are 50% better than away. It'll be close. We might struggle to put them away, but even with our issues, we're the best team in the land at the moment.

Pies by 5 points!

Assume Darcy Cameron is out. Not sure what we do there. Does Steene come in? Huge ask, because he's not ready. If we play him he needs to sit out the game tomorrow night.

WHE might be lucky because we don't have Lipinski.

What actually happened to Cameron? Was it just a tweak of the knee or something serious?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Big question is around Cameron. Hoping it's not on the serious side but at this stage who knows? Especially given we don't know when Cox comes back from his injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Kelly fill in as ruck? Does he do any relief ruck duties in the VFL?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back