Opinion Commentary and media

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 past players talking like its only just started to happen this season when that is totally wrong. They were both in the leadership group.
I never realised Sarah Olle ever played for us, let alone being in our leadership group!

He's not saying it hasn't happened before, he's just saying why its happening now.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
LOL and this as well:

'Harvey emphasised the significance of the loss of Drew Petrie, the club’s “go to man” to swing back into defence late in a close match.'

If that was such a panacea then how come our record in close games before this season is still horrible?

It's the same with the leadership comments. It's not as if the close losses this year have been unexpected or exceptions, we lost them when Boomer was playing and leading as well. As much as I think Ziebell has been poor late in the close games this season, the fault can't be laid entirely at his feet as this has been a trend since Brad has been coach, not exclusively under Ziebell's leadership.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
LOL and this as well:

'Harvey emphasised the significance of the loss of Drew Petrie, the club’s “go to man” to swing back into defence late in a close match.'

If that was such a panacea then how come our record in close games before this season is still horrible?

It's the same with the leadership comments. It's not as if the close losses this year have been unexpected or exceptions, we lost them when Boomer was playing and leading as well. As much as I think Ziebell has been poor late in the close games this season, the fault can't be laid entirely at his feet as this has been a trend since Brad has been coach, not exclusively under Ziebell's leadership.
I'd suggest that we lack the combination of smart, skilled and experienced on-field leaders.

If Boomer and Drew were the leaders they 'should have been' we wouldn't have needed the likes of Dal Santo so much (for leadership.) Drew only started taking it upon himself to go back pretty late in his career. Boomer would win or change games not so much due to any nous, so much as pure ability. Thompson doesn't have it. Spud, as much as I loved him, didn't.

My hopes currently rest with Higgins and Macmillan, though Higgins needs more midfield support in this regard. Luke may get there in time and, I suspect EVW will be good in the backline down the track.

Also, regarding the 'record'. I don't disagree with the sentiment that these guys are implicitly pumping up their own tyres.

What I would say is not that the record was great when Drew etc. used their experience to save games or halt momentum but that, to the extent that they did do this, it stopped the record being even worse. It is easier to highlight close losses as the final scoreline shows it; it isn't as easy to spot games where the momentum was halted or reversed as the final scoreline doesn't show that. You need to be review or remember games, or use the new 'worm' graph to identify them.

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Toughen up. Article was spot on. Ha acknowledged it happened last year. He has more insight than this board combined.

Scoob, you called it pathetic. Honestly, seriously, you dont think you went off half cocked in hindsight?

just my opinion on how i read the article, came up as if it's just occurred recently yet all those leaders where at the club and the same thing occurred over and over therefore its that a coaching thing or on field leaders? Petrie part on the article was s**t crap also

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
LOL and this as well:

Exactly!

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
I never realised Sarah Olle ever played for us, let alone being in our leadership group!

He's not saying it hasn't happened before, he's just saying why its happening now.

He and the other leader's were part of the problem for many years so what is the point coming out saying its on the leaders now? He along with others should take responsibility not try and put the blame on leaders at the club or say they aren't experienced in 2017.

Boro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2003
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, Roar, Celtics, Cubs
so what exactly was he doing in those other close losses over the years? He was part of the leadership group
I don't think he says anywhere that it didn't happen on his watch too did he? What he says is exactly right...we seem to freeze a bit when it gets tight and go the easy option down the line and look for stoppages rather than take the game on. Nothing wrong with anything he said and it needs to change for us to become a good side.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have not copied a single opinion, and if you insist on this line its just going to make me angry (which must be your objective). I have not and do not take my opinions from journo's. I'm not going to tell you again, so unless you can show me the comments by the journos I am quoting then step off mate.

Fact 1 - Brad fails to deny manager talked to brisbane about getting another job.

He plays a lot of word games to suggest he never approach them, but doesn't ever say his manager didn't speak to them. Clearly he would know by now (unless you believe they have never spoken since last year). If your going to be so 'honest' then fess up.

Fact 2 - Hutchy asks brad if he can 'Commit here tonight if you want to be the coach of north melbourne for the long haul from here on', and because brad didn't answer him directly, he then says "But is that you" Brads response was "Right at the moment it is, I'm really comfortable as my ability as a coach, so if thats north melbourne, then fantastic, and if they still want me and I still feel I'm the best person for the job then thats where I'll be". Its worth mentioning that brad had just made comments about re-assessing his position at the end of the year.

If you are fully committed to being the coach for NMFC for the next rebuild, then you can say "Yes, I am committed to the long haul". Its a very simple question. As a test, imagine you had a new coach you just employed (where there would be no question of commitment), what do you think a new coach would say? Yeah thats right, he certainly wouldn't continue to stonewall on the answer, certainly not open with 'Right at the moment', certainly not say qualify statements with IF thats north, or IF I still feel i'm the best person.

To me, its super clear that IF you are committed, you dont say that.

So lets get this clear, if he says he did know his manager spoke to brissy, in your eyes he's not committed. If his manager did speak to brisbane but didn't tell brad, he's not committed. If his manager did speak to brissy and told brad and brad says he did OR didn't know his manager spoke to brissy, he's not committed either way. No matter how he answers the question, he's not committed, that's journalism, they throw out loaded questions looking for a easy headline.

FWIW if he knew or didn't know - any intelligent person, regardless of their 'commitment', should always be looking to the market to see what is their value. However, even with that said, going from past experience with barrett and caro, the whole rumour about brisbane is a lie to me, they have no creditably. Anything they do say that turns out to be true is always broken by a credible journo hours before, and the rest of what they say is always rumour. It's very very clear north have a succession plan in place when brad leaves/contract isn't renewed. This is evident with other coaches such as crocker, tudor and drummond all filling in over the past 3 years at various times, even if brad was to 'suddenly' leave, it wouldn't surprise me.

What is your point? You are not answering any question of mine, nor are you asking me a question. Around the age bracket, all I said was that we should assess brads performance this year based on the age of the list he plays, like all teams should be assessed. What have the pies got to do with it?

i'm replying to your statement of

"But what I am pointing out is that its pretty much his team now, and his development of the players at this stage, and we have a team running around that is top 8 for age when playing. So unless he starts really bringing that down and playing more young players over the course of the next 10 games, we need to assess him on that age/development bracket"

you gave no reason why the avg age should be brought down - so i gave you a reason why you have no point :)

i used pies as an example to illustrate my point.

So you tell me I am bitch moaning? Are you really just using freo as a platform to denigrate me? Because facts are that freo have played younger than us, and have a total overall younger list than us, and if they are giving up AFL time to young guys I fail to see how this has any bearing on what we are talking about... Apart from you using it to attack me personally of course, as you are with the whole scum journo's opinion thing.

Freo have the second oldest list and we have the second youngest...

AGAIN i used freo as an example, not bothering repeating myself for a third time.

I dont know, you tell me??? Did I say there was a problem with top 8 for age? Again, what I said was that near the end of the year the team should be assessed for its performance based on the age of the list used across the year.

Take care how you respond from here on, cause I'm not up for more attacks and I suggest you keep to comments on football, and not on me.

You did say there was a problem in being top 8 for age, no factual reason why it's bad, but you said brad show bring the age down - quote above.

No personal attacks - i'm i'm saying you're taking what the media says too literally over actual facts.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
if u go to Final Siren site and do Wins/Losses by Margin
2017 3 goal games Won 0 Lost 3
2016 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 3
2015 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 3
2014 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 1
2013 3 goal games Won 3 Lost 10 Hard to believe but true!

So supporters a bit psychologically damaged from 2013 which is understandable, (it was the Adl game that started all this I think)
but on theses stats in the 14-16 period we done OK

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
if u go to Final Siren site and do Wins/Losses by Margin
2017 3 goal games Won 0 Lost 3
2016 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 3
2015 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 3
2014 3 goal games Won 5 Lost 1
2013 3 goal games Won 3 Lost 10 Hard to believe but true!

So supporters a bit psychologically damaged from 2013 which is understandable, (it was the Adl game that started all this I think)
but on theses stats in the 14-16 period we done OK

compare that to bulldogs the past 3-4 seasons? Or Brad v Bevridge.

Route57

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we are losing by closer margins then we we were losing games last year with a more experienced list?

How are people still saying it was a bad decision to drop those guys? And how are people not seeing there is so much more light at the end of this tunnel when these close loses are happening without Wells, Waite, Petrie, Firrito, Harvey and NDS on the park?

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
So we are losing by closer margins then we we were losing games last year with a more experienced list?

How are people still saying it was a bad decision to drop those guys? And how are people not seeing there is so much more light at the end of this tunnel when these close loses are happening without Wells, Waite, Petrie, Firrito, Harvey and NDS on the park?
I am not sure who those people are.

All I know is I am so excited about our future players coming through than I would be if all those players would still be playing. It hurts now but we will reap the rewards soon enough. Hopefully that starts a progression this week.

Route57

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am not sure who those people are.

All I know is I am so excited about our future players coming through than I would be if all those players would still be playing. It hurts now but we will reap the rewards soon enough. Hopefully that starts a progression this week.

That's what I mean, we were so used to losing last year anyway - the only difference is we get to see it with quicker players with a much greater ceiling for improvement. I don't anywhere near as bad after the loses compared to last year

Jack Ziebell backs Andrew Swallow to return to senior football, says axeing re-emphasises North mantra

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jac...a/news-story/7c72e940cfa9a32f4d6b7071390b2e67
NORTH Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell believes Andrew Swallow’s demotion to VFL football this weekend is simply a extension of coach Brad Scott’s mantra that was highlighted late last year.

Scott repeatedly said that no coach or player was bigger than the club when North let Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo, Michael Firrito and Drew Petrie depart Arden Street last year.

And following Swallow’s omission from the Kangaroos team to take on Gold Coast this Saturday night, Ziebell has backed his coach’s call.

“It sends the message that nobody is bigger than the club,” Ziebell told foxfooty.com.au at a Canterbury sportswear event on Friday.

“Obviously it’s disappointing but for the young guys coming through, the message it sends is that if you’re not doing what’s right for the team — it doesn’t matter who you are — then we will bring someone in who can.

“I’ve got no doubt whatsoever that Andrew and Lindsay will go back to the VFL and do what’s required for them to come back into the senior team I would have thought. We look forward to having them back.”

The 26-year-old denied Scott’s decision on Swallow had anything to do with the former skipper’s age.

Swallow turns 30 on June 2 and has been deployed in an unfamiliar role this season as a high half-forward.

“If you’re doing what’s required, then age is no barrier,” Swallow said.

“In a sense Brent Harvey showed that for a long period of time. You are probably old in footy terms when you’re 30.

“If you’re doing what’s required, then who cares how old you are. If you are playing for the team and getting it done, then you can be 40 or 18.”

Werribee will host Essendon in a Round 3 VFL clash at Arden Street on Saturday afternoon and regardless of what role Swallow plays in that match, Ziebell expects the veteran to slot back into the senior team in the near future.

However he was non-committal when quizzed on whether Swallow should play his customary midfield position or as a forward.

“That’s for the coaches to decide,” he said.

“Whatever way he needs to he will do. But I’m sure he will go back and get some form and confidence. I have no doubt he will play well in the twos. We will see him back sooner rather than later.”

Ziebell himself is not concerned about his own future, despite the events of late last year and Scott’s more recent decision to send Lindsay Thomas (29-years-old) and Swallow to the reserves.

“If you start worrying about what’s going to happen in six to 12 weeks or two years, you lose focus of next week,” he said.

“What keeps you in the side is doing what’s required for the team on a week-to-week basis. That may change as you get older, but overall the basics remain the same.”

Based on that philosophy, all Ziebell is focused on is tackling Gold Coast this weekend and helping contribute to North Melbourne’s first win of the season.

To do so, he suggested limiting Tom Lynch’s influence is critical.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So lets get this clear, if he says he did know his manager spoke to brissy, in your eyes he's not committed. If his manager did speak to brisbane but didn't tell brad, he's not committed. If his manager did speak to brissy and told brad and brad says he did OR didn't know his manager spoke to brissy, he's not committed either way. No matter how he answers the question, he's not committed, that's journalism, they throw out loaded questions looking for a easy headline.
Not particularly because of the brsbane thing, as its in the past and he didnt take/get the job. It certainly adds to it though, while you might believe that brad hasn't been able to discuss this and get it straight with his manager for the last 6 months, I don't. I am mildly amused that people would think otherwise.

FWIW if he knew or didn't know - any intelligent person, regardless of their 'commitment', should always be looking to the market to see what is their value. However, even with that said, going from past experience with barrett and caro, the whole rumour about brisbane is a lie to me, they have no creditably. Anything they do say that turns out to be true is always broken by a credible journo hours before, and the rest of what they say is always rumour. It's very very clear north have a succession plan in place when brad leaves/contract isn't renewed. This is evident with other coaches such as crocker, tudor and drummond all filling in over the past 3 years at various times, even if brad was to 'suddenly' leave, it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm a little confused, so you wouldn't be surprised if brad left? Fair enough.

Look, I don't like hat brad said, I think it reeks of someone trying to play the '100% committed coach', while also saying 'well I'm so good I'd for sure get a job if I don't like this lot at the end of the year'. That's what it boils down to for me, and while I don't mind that someone might behind closed doors feel that way, when you make it public, while still contracted as my teams coach, then I'm pissed off. Perhaps you and other don't see it the same way as me, but that's what I read from it.
i'm replying to your statement of

"But what I am pointing out is that its pretty much his team now, and his development of the players at this stage, and we have a team running around that is top 8 for age when playing. So unless he starts really bringing that down and playing more young players over the course of the next 10 games, we need to assess him on that age/development bracket"

you gave no reason why the avg age should be brought down - so i gave you a reason why you have no point :)
Just go and have a read of it again. I don't say it should be brought down, just that unless it does come down we need to assess him on that (top 8) age bracket. Same with your comment that this means I said the top 8 was bad. No, I'm just saying that the team needs to be assessed as such.

Freo have the second oldest list and we have the second youngest...
Yeah apologies, I mixed them up with Brisbane overall list age.

i used pies as an example to illustrate my point.
AGAIN i used freo as an example, not bothering repeating myself for a third time.
I know they are examples, but the examples serve no purpose... You are trying to associate collingwood and fremantle as examples of other lists. But 'this' conversation isnt about lists, its about brads comments. The only suggestions I've made are that we should be assessed on age near the end of the year. Your examples of fremantle and collingwood prove some superfluous points that exist for some reasons I can't fathom. Not sure why this would make you uncommunicative, re not bothering to repeat yourself.

You did say there was a problem in being top 8 for age, no factual reason why it's bad, but you said brad show bring the age down - quote above.
As above. Never said it.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Well going by their words we are lucky there isnt another quarter ;P

I am not sure it will be due to fitness as the preseason training could be designed to put players in a better stead for the latter half, or to cope all season with reduction of injuries. The club last year said the reduction of interchange effected how things went and we werent on the money. No doubt they are fine tuning it still.

If we sorted out some of those things in game that made us lose in the close games, for the long run we would be better for it. So yes you could say perhaps fitness was part of the issue but its a long season and you'd still back your players to win some of those games. We had big issues last year due to the reduction of interchange and the club admitted we are needing to fine tune that due to injuries last year.

I guess we will wait and see but I reckon we will of reduced injuries (except impact injuries of course) and run out games in the 2nd half of the season better than in the past. Though mind you we were fast finished before last year but slow starters, so hopefully we see more a balance coming up or next year.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not particularly because of the brsbane thing, as its in the past and he didnt take/get the job. It certainly adds to it though, while you might believe that brad hasn't been able to discuss this and get it straight with his manager for the last 6 months, I don't. I am mildly amused that people would think otherwise.

I'm a little confused, so you wouldn't be surprised if brad left? Fair enough.

Look, I don't like hat brad said, I think it reeks of someone trying to play the '100% committed coach', while also saying 'well I'm so good I'd for sure get a job if I don't like this lot at the end of the year'. That's what it boils down to for me, and while I don't mind that someone might behind closed doors feel that way, when you make it public, while still contracted as my teams coach, then I'm pissed off. Perhaps you and other don't see it the same way as me, but that's what I read from it.

read back at what i said, how has brad talking to his manager in the last 6 months got anything to do with it. they're loaded questions, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I'm astonished how you can't see that, i guess you're caro and barrett's target audience.

Why are you confused about anything i wrote about brad leaving?? are you serious or just trolling?

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Boomer said: “The thing that I’m seeing — and it happened a little bit last year as well — we play free football. Kangaroos play free footy and they go quite well. Then just as the game gets a little tighter, old habits (creep in) ...."

Yep. Reads to me like Boomer is taking ownership and responsibility for the issue. Scooby must be on the angry pills. He's got this one all wrong.

domiroo

It’s a big kick it’s long kick it’s a goal .....
Dec 26, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Catanzaro / Manchester City
* me the way these commentators are going on about the dogs giants game it's as if it's the game of the century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back