Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone needs to tell Dougie that it was 2015 that Goldy was one of the favourites to win the brownlow.....not last year. Would of been stiff to miss out in All Aus selection otherwise :)

Oh and BTW. I don't watch much in the way of footy media nowadays but the Marngrook show is infinitely better than just about everything else on TV around footy. They ask actual questions, questions with some modicum of depth, both emotional and about footy. WTF is wrong with mainstream footy media (and arguably ourselves who apparently keep encouraging it) that this has to be a shining light?

FoxFooty / CH7 etc. Get your house in frigging order.

Was in another room and TFS was on...all I could hear was Maddern giggles every 30 secs...so I went and watched...she is laughing to give the impression the show is funny....when it's not.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/and...e/news-story/64aeb0d2697eb25ebe09576e282dacd6

Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas omissions could start the ‘second wave’ at North Melbourne

FORMER North Melbourne star Nick Dal Santo believes the omissions of veterans Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas for this week’s clash with Gold Coast could be the start of a “second wave” of high profile axings at the club.

The veteran pair were dropped ahead of Saturday night’s clash at Etihad Stadium due to poor form, with Swallow averaging only 16.2 disposals per game this season and Thomas kicking just two goals throughout the first five weeks.

With Swallow set to turn 30 later this year and Thomas just a year younger, both are among the most senior players at North Melbourne and are contracted through to the end of 2018.

However, with the club going through a list rebuild after three straight finals appearances, it’s beginning to look likely they will shed more experience at the end of this year.

The Kangaroos lost almost 2000 games worth of that experience last year when it delisted Dal Santo, along with fellow club greats Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie and Michael Firrito.

And Dal Santo believes Brad Scott’s latest decision could kickstart the next series of strategic choices that will undoubtedly impact the club’s more senior pros.

“This might be the second wave of that coming through,” Dal Santo told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I was part of the decisions last year and I actually agreed with it.

“Yes, I feel like I could’ve helped going forward. But I actually understood the direction the whole club needed to go, in regards to young kids needing to play games.

“Unfortunately there were a few casualties and I was part of it, but this might be the second wave and I think if Andrew and a few of the other players are realistic, you can see it coming.”

Dal Santo believes that the experienced group of North Melbourne players that were culled last season could have made an impact during the club’s winless start to the season, but said that in the long run it wasn’t “right for us to be there”.

He also revealed his belief that, on merit, Swallow and Thomas perhaps don’t deserve to be in North Melbourne’s best 22 following their disappointing start to the year.

“In some ways it’s not a surprise,” Dal Santo said.

“Sometimes in football you have to deal with facts and the facts are neither of those two boys have been playing good enough football to represent the club.”

Reminds me of Captain Obvious Lordo's early days.

I have not copied a single opinion, and if you insist on this line its just going to make me angry (which must be your objective). I have not and do not take my opinions from journo's. I'm not going to tell you again, so unless you can show me the comments by the journos I am quoting then step off mate.

Fact 1 - Brad fails to deny manager talked to brisbane about getting another job.

He plays a lot of word games to suggest he never approach them, but doesn't ever say his manager didn't speak to them. Clearly he would know by now (unless you believe they have never spoken since last year). If your going to be so 'honest' then fess up.

Fact 2 - Hutchy asks brad if he can 'Commit here tonight if you want to be the coach of north melbourne for the long haul from here on', and because brad didn't answer him directly, he then says "But is that you" Brads response was "Right at the moment it is, I'm really comfortable as my ability as a coach, so if thats north melbourne, then fantastic, and if they still want me and I still feel I'm the best person for the job then thats where I'll be". Its worth mentioning that brad had just made comments about re-assessing his position at the end of the year.

If you are fully committed to being the coach for NMFC for the next rebuild, then you can say "Yes, I am committed to the long haul". Its a very simple question. As a test, imagine you had a new coach you just employed (where there would be no question of commitment), what do you think a new coach would say? Yeah thats right, he certainly wouldn't continue to stonewall on the answer, certainly not open with 'Right at the moment', certainly not say qualify statements with IF thats north, or IF I still feel i'm the best person.

To me, its super clear that IF you are committed, you dont say that.

What is your point? You are not answering any question of mine, nor are you asking me a question. Around the age bracket, all I said was that we should assess brads performance this year based on the age of the list he plays, like all teams should be assessed. What have the pies got to do with it?

So you tell me I am bitch moaning? Are you really just using freo as a platform to denigrate me? Because facts are that freo have played younger than us, and have a total overall younger list than us, and if they are giving up AFL time to young guys I fail to see how this has any bearing on what we are talking about... Apart from you using it to attack me personally of course, as you are with the whole scum journo's opinion thing.

I dont know, you tell me??? Did I say there was a problem with top 8 for age? Again, what I said was that near the end of the year the team should be assessed for its performance based on the age of the list used across the year.

Take care how you respond from here on, cause I'm not up for more attacks and I suggest you keep to comments on football, and not on me.
Enough bitch moaning.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/27/former-roos-skipper-will-be-back-goldstein/

https://audioboom.com/posts/5863306-todd-goldstein-on-sen-breakfast

Former Roos skipper will be back: Goldstein

By SEN

North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein has backed Andrew Swallow to quickly regain his place in the senior side.

The former skipper, along with small forward Lindsay Thomas, have been dropped from the Kangaroos team to tackle Gold Coast on Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

Swallow is averaging only 16 disposals and three clearances a game so far in 2016 – well down on his output over the past eight seasons, while Thomas has kicked just two goals in five matches.

Goldstein told SEN's Garry, Tim and Hamish that he found out about the axings via Twitter on his way home from the club

“Andrew’s been a vital member of our side, and captain for the last five years. We know what sort of performances he can have, but obviously he’s got a few little niggling injuries and a little bit out of form and he’s trying to find that confidence,” he said.

“The coach has said, that we’ve got a lot of players pushing for selection, so if you don’t quite perform at your level, you’re going to be out the door pretty quickly.

“We have got no doubt that he’s going to go back and play his best for Werribee, and I reckon he’ll only be out for a week or two.”

The star ruckman said that he feels the team is performing well, despite the winless start to the season.

“We’ve lost three games by under a kick and we probably should have definitely won a couple of them,” he said.

“We’ve got to take a lot of positives out of it, but that being said, it is a win-loss system and having no wins so far is tough. The boys are really upbeat still and understand that we are doing a lot of things right.

“These things can turn pretty fast – we went from 9-0 last year, to only just scraping into the finals.”

The 28-year-old said that he’s “all good” for this week, despite pulling up sore against Fremantle on Saturday night.

“I did my ankle about three weeks ago, so I knew how bad it could be, and I nearly got up after two days then, so I was pretty confident that the seven days would have me right.”

Gary Tim and Hamish sounds like a gay road movie.

NTTAWT.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I'm less convinced. A Gary, Tim and Hamish gay road movie sounds a touch on the unpleasant side to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i saw pathetic i dreaded a boomer comment saying he mightve been able to make a difference or something to that effect.

But nothing like it, article was fine, only thing id change is referencing drew going down back to save a game, but, even that did actually happen at times.(by his own admission under petries own initiative not brads)

Club record holder and current employee has earned the right to comment one would think.

Was hard to disagree with anything in that article.

North go into their shells when the heat is on? True
The ability to throw Drew into defence is gone now that Drew is no longer at the club? Obviously
Swallow has slowed down? True
If Swallow doesn't play in the guts he doesn't play? True
After a 0-5 start the coach had to make a statement at selection? True

Last edited:
When i saw pathetic i dreaded a boomer comment saying he mightve been able to make a difference or something to that effect.

But nothing like it, article was fine, only thing id change is referencing drew going down back to save a game, but, even that did actually happen at times.(by his own admission under petries own initiative not brads)

Club record holder and current employee has earned the right to comment one would think.

so what exactly was he doing in those other close losses over the years? He was part of the leadership group

Was hard to disagree with anything in that article.

North go into their shells when the heat is on? True
The ability to throw Drew into defence is gone now that Drew is no longer at the club? Obviously
Swallow has slowed down? True
If Swallow doesn't play in the guts he doesn't play? True
After a 0-5 start the coach had to make a statement at selection? True

Boomer played in many of those close losses - True.... Thought it was disappointing as he and NDS make it like its only been this season its been happening.

Boomer played in many of those close losses - True.... Thought it was disappointing as he and NDS make it like its only been this season its been happening.

Boomer said: “The thing that I’m seeing — and it happened a little bit last year as well — we play free football. Kangaroos play free footy and they go quite well. Then just as the game gets a little tighter, old habits (creep in) ...."

2 past players talking like its only just started to happen this season when that is totally wrong. They were both in the leadership group.

Boomer said: “The thing that I’m seeing — and it happened a little bit last year as well — we play free football. Kangaroos play free footy and they go quite well. Then just as the game gets a little tighter, old habits (creep in) ...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back