Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, but who do you take out?
My thought was to drop Turner, move Atley to the forward line and have Jacobs on the bench. Also, I'd like to see McKay come in, probably at the expense of either Macmillian or McDonald, but I'm not sure if that would leave us with the some defensive problems as last year, a strong marking unit, but little mobility/run out the back.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good team that is going to be more than competitive this season.

Out Tyson

Putting my conspiracy theorist hat on for a moment here + the part of me thinking about career trajectory.

I think we've lost Heath to the AFLW team. Heath has been exceptional with the men's team - cleaned up AFL awards. But with expansions he has a chance to move into an area that is likely to get more mainstream attention for the time being.

Forget everything I just said. I was so invested in the theory I forgot the AFLW season runs outside of the AFL season

:drunk:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ev...1/news-story/85d7844f0da798de91df8027a6462b11

NORTH MELBOURNE
B:
E. Vickers-Willis, S. Thompson, M. Williams
HB: J. Macmillan, R. Tarrant, L. McDonald
C: P. Ahern, D. Tyson, J. Polec
HF: J. Anderson, M. Wood, A. Hall
F: J. Ziebell, B. Brown, K Turner
FOL: T. Goldstein, B. Cunnington, S. Higgins
I/C: J. Simpkin, L. Davies-Uniacke, S. Atley, S. T. Dumont
EMG: N. Hrovat, J. Pittard, S. Wright, B. Jacobs

We say: With no timeframe on Majak Daw’s return to football, young defender Ed Vickers-Willis grabs his spot in the best 22, while new recruits Dom Tyson (Melbourne), Jarred Polec (Port Adelaide) and Aaron Hall (Gold Coast) significantly bolster North Melbourne’s midfield. Competition for spots will be fierce, however, with 2018 regulars Nathan Hrovat, Sam Wright and Ben Jacobs not in the best side at this stage.

NO Ben Jacobs?! LOL media have NFI, he is a guaranteed LOCK
No Jacobs, no idea.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

BJ plays ahead of all these: Tyson, Ahern, LDU, Turner, Simpkin, Ats and probably even Dumont and Anderson.

For me, Tyson is the one that comes out of the team above.

Absolutely this

Not only is one the best taggers/shutdown player we’ve ever seen, he’s also a tackling machine, racks up heaps more possession etc

But his most important thing he brings is his consistent influence on the overall game

We would have won those close ones and got into finals if we had Jacobs at the second part of last year

One thing that would be really disappointing is if the player lockers don’t have past players on them anymore. I believe thay had premiership players on there, Syd Barker Medalists etc.
That doesn’t appear to be on the lockers anymore...?

The past players were representative of the patriarchy.

They had to go.

The past players were representative of the patriarchy.

They had to go.

You're stuck in the past. Some old guy who once kicked a mud-soaked ball around playing for a sandwich in the days before WWII isn't representative of our club.

The new lockers will feature interactive LED screens, customisable front panels where players can make expressions of their own sense of self and feature the names of prominent figures of our time who have "broken through barriers", such as Belle Gibson and Waleed Aly.

Maybe they haven't finished the lockers, or maybe that number heritage information is somewhere else now. Just spitballing. With the effort they sound like they continue to put into new players understanding and valuing the club's history, it would be an odd change to eliminate that nice touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new lockers will feature interactive LED screens, customisable front panels where players can make expressions of their own sense of self and feature the names of prominent figures of our time who have "broken through barriers", such as Belle Gibson and Waleed Aly.

Ouch KC. That's up there when it comes to brutal comparisons.

Nice to be able to select a midfield on form rather than necessity.

Not only does Jacobs tag well, he usually takes on the best opposition mid and beats them. He's not just a tagger who plays out of necessity, he's incredibly competitive and smart and he does his homework on players to beat them in the contests.

And since we're talking about a media org's speculative best 22 for this coming season i don't see where form comes into it at the moment. But ... just to reiterate, when he is in form Jacobs is one of the best and most effective mids in the comp. That might get lost cos people see the word "tagger' and it frames their interpretation of what he does. His overall stats last year were slightly better than Jed's.

all very well but he cannot get on the Park
he has played 90 games and he is 27
One Year 2015 he played 23 games
he has played 20 games in the next 3 years
You wld have to be a complete bloody Optimist to think he can play on a consistent basis

he is not alone
wood 25 39 games
garner 25 34 games

Ando and ahern are looking like they can string a few games together after injury but the jury has to be out on these other blokes til they play 4 in a row in the ressiesIMO

all very well but he cannot get on the Park
he has played 90 games and he is 27
One Year 2015 he played 23 games
he has played 20 games in the next 3 years
You wld have to be a complete bloody Optimist to think he can play on a consistent basis

he is not alone
wood 25 39 games
garner 25 34 games

Ando and ahern are looking like they can string a few games together after injury but the jury has to be out on these other blokes til they play 4 in a row in the ressiesIMO
If Jacobs is fit and healthy he is an absolute lock to play round one. He is a gun.
The issues he had last year were pretty freakish...he is right now and ready to remind everyone how good he is.

I agree Jacobs when fully fit is a gun and very important to the side. Probably one of the first picked. It was more a criticism of guys saying Tyson won't play as if our midfield is filled with depth and we can't find a spot for him.

Tyson, Hall, Polec, a fully fit Jacobs gives us far more depth and flexibility and consequently the 19-22 on the list who haven't been great but retained their spot due to lack of competition will now find themselves playing VFL footy which is a good thing for the club. I personally think Tyson is a great pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back