Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall's cooked. Complete shittruck who offers nothing. Young had a stinker, but I prefer defensive turnovers than blokes who refuse to run in either direction. Young wasn't trying to fail, but a big number were failing to try.

Picking two blokes out of that clusterphuck last Friday is a bit unfair, and there's a snapshot of the biggest paper's chief footy writer's footy nous right there - bring the mouthguards. 🤦‍♂️

The worst part about Hall is that he started the game on fire. He was really up and about and nailed a really nice goal. Then he gave up a horrible turnover coming out of defence and went completely downhill from there. Unfortunately, that shows a complete lack of resilience. Very disappointing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is a symptom of the whole side and its been that way since before he got here.

Dropping Lachie Young would be a dreadful example to set. His mistakes were all from trying to switch play into the corridor. They were ill-chosen unless he had executed them perfectly, but isn't that the new game plan? Isn't that exactly why supporters are being asked to show patience?
Drop him and you're telling his teammates that mistakes in implementing the game plan are being punished. The last thing we need is a bunch of talented kids going into their shells, surely?
Young's execution stunk and that is something he has to work on but the problem isn't Young, it is our gameplan. We turned a lot of ball over in the corridor but a big problem is the kicker (Young in this example) and the target (I assume one of our players) were typically both flat footed, that means the opposition press is sweating on the target and your kick has to be spot on.

When you are in motion, like say Young was running through the corridor and we had a player running into space then Young's kick wouldn't need to be that accurate, he would just have to stick it out in front and the team mate can just adjust direction and speed. When you are flat footed and the ball is a few meters off and there is opposition setup to pressure space, you are going to turn over the ball.

I couldn't agree with you guys more here. Yes, they were strange errors from Young (who is normally a good kick), but you have to look at what he was trying to do and what options he had up-ahead.

There's also one other issue we have had in the opening 3 weeks. I hadn't posted it yet, as I didn't want to join the pile-on. But Jack Mahony does not make a good wingman in these situations. He's listed as 5-9, but even when up against someone like Bailey Smith, looks even shorter. It does not make a great target for defenders who are already likely under pressure (real or inferred) when kicking. When the bombers are trialling a 200cm wingman, we are going for a 175cm wingman! I know which one I would rather be kicking to, even if the former was a stick insect.

I couldn't agree with you guys more here. Yes, they were strange errors from Young (who is normally a good kick), but you have to look at what he was trying to do and what options he had up-ahead.

There's also one other issue we have had in the opening 3 weeks. I hadn't posted it yet, as I didn't want to join the pile-on. But Jack Mahony does not make a good wingman in these situations. He's listed as 5-9, but even when up against someone like Bailey Smith, looks even shorter. It does not make a great target for defenders who are already likely under pressure (real or inferred) when kicking. When the bombers are trialling a 200cm wingman, we are going for a 175cm wingman! I know which one I would rather be kicking to, even if the former was a stick insect.
Half forwards should be pushing up to those contests and the wings should be at their feet.

not saying having wings able to compete aerially is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Hall's cooked. Complete shittruck who offers nothing. Young had a stinker, but I prefer defensive turnovers than blokes who refuse to run in either direction. Young wasn't trying to fail, but a big number were failing to try.

Picking two blokes out of that clusterphuck last Friday is a bit unfair, and there's a snapshot of the biggest paper's chief footy writer's footy nous right there - bring the mouthguards. 🤦‍♂️

From memory, a couple of Young’s turnovers were when the receiving player stood flat footed to take the pass. Had they have moved to the ball to take possession it would be unlikely that the turnover would have occurred.

He's not cooked, he is an outside footballer who still dinged a nice goal from 50. We have blokes in the fwd 50 who fail to manage the distance from inside the 50, let alone get the ball. He is no Brent Harvey, or even David King, but he has exciting run and carry and the ability to kick a goal. He is a flamboyant footballer when we are in dire need of grafters. I'd rather have him kick me the ball than a few others in the team.

can’t go forward and make an impact

More quality AFL 'journalism'. Cunners' ability to go forward, take a contested grab and convert efficiently will actually add a couple of years to his career.

Fox Sports: ‘You’re in real trouble’: AFL great warns five star midfielders could soon be ‘redundant’.

It’s not the elephant in the room if everyone is talking about it.

Look at all the crowds this season so far and they are all well down on normal expectations, even for teams doing well. People are getting used to the new ticketing system slowly (not helped by poor service from the providers) and there is still a lot of nervousness about being in crowds and on public transport.

If there is an elephant in the room it’s the possibility that a year off has not made everyone more keen to go to games, but has made space in their lives that they actually quite enjoy.

Nailed it though you lose points for not letting Alter H2H out of the bottle for a quick expletive.

Breaking everyone’s football habit + unnecessary attendence and seating protocol (everyone still bunched randomly into sections and on PT though) = lower attendances league wide.

I like no consideration is given to our first 2 weeks either - Sunday afternoon vs a top 4 interstate team then off to Pelican Waters to play in front of 3 cane toads. What a way to build some fan momentum.

Meanwhile Carlton, Collingwood et al haven’t left the Melbourne CBD yet.

From memory, a couple of Young’s turnovers were when the receiving player stood flat footed to take the pass. Had they have moved to the ball to take possession it would be unlikely that the turnover would have occurred.
This.

Attack the *ing ball!!!

More quality AFL 'journalism'. Cunners' ability to go forward, take a contested grab and convert efficiently will actually add a couple of years to his career.

Fox Sports: ‘You’re in real trouble’: AFL great warns five star midfielders could soon be ‘redundant’.
Dixon? AFL great? ... what?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you See See, but I found it strange on Friday how little time Cunners spent up forward - if he did spend any time at all there.

The worst part about Hall is that he started the game on fire. He was really up and about and nailed a really nice goal. Then he gave up a horrible turnover coming out of defence and went completely downhill from there. Unfortunately, that shows a complete lack of resilience. Very disappointing.

That's Hall in a nutshell. Basically what he's delivered over a career covering 10 seasons.

During games his 3 Brownlow BOGS in a row back when cocky was an egg is mentioned like it's relevant.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Lachie Young is coming 32nd across the comp in intercepts and 2nd at the Club - no way he’s getting dropped. Reckon he was thrown forward to try and someone in the front half to actually lead up.

Lachie Young is coming 32nd across the comp in intercepts and 2nd at the Club - no way he’s getting dropped. Reckon he was thrown forward to try and someone in the front half to actually lead up.

Young was asked to play as a key back due to injuries. This is not his role or strength. He is a half back who likes to break the lines

Young's execution stunk and that is something he has to work on but the problem isn't Young, it is our gameplan. We turned a lot of ball over in the corridor but a big problem is the kicker (Young in this example) and the target (I assume one of our players) were typically both flat footed, that means the opposition press is sweating on the target and your kick has to be spot on.

When you are in motion, like say Young was running through the corridor and we had a player running into space then Young's kick wouldn't need to be that accurate, he would just have to stick it out in front and the team mate can just adjust direction and speed. When you are flat footed and the ball is a few meters off and there is opposition setup to pressure space, you are going to turn over the ball.

Momentum is such a critical factor and it is not something we are using well at all and it is putting ourselves under a lot more pressure. We have had 3 coaches in 3 years, totally different assistants yet we have the same on-ball problems, the work rate between the arcs, there is no system to create space or use numbers or anything. I am not sure how much the message has changed from one coach to another or if players are executing what is asked of them or not but generally when we can get some meaningful movement we can transition the ball, it just seems too often we don't have the players doing what is required to move the ball and the Dogs schooled us on ball movement.

Absolutely. Ironically, this might be good news for us in the long run. If Noble persists with his game-plan, the hope is that our players will become more resilient, and, in turn - once more confidence kicks in - get on the front foot. That’s when the turnaround will really kick into gear - WE HOPE.

If there is an elephant in the room it’s the possibility that a year off has not made everyone more keen to go to games, but has made space in their lives that they actually quite enjoy.

Agree H2H. Funnily enough for me, being able to go almost every week last year, it was the opposite effect.

I realised how much I missed being there, week in & week out, roaring with stupid optimism & one-eyed passion. Getting the train to Metricon or the bus to the Gabba wasn’t anything like the old walk to the G on a Friday night or the train to North Melbourne on a Saturday afternoon but it was the anticipation of a day/night at the footy that felt timeless.

I am too one-eyed to regularly watch live the Brions or the GC & it is far too expensive. So I envy those of you able to rock up to every Melbourne home game & implore you to be there as the diehard Shinboners you are - passionate & loud.

Last edited:
I like no consideration is given to our first 2 weeks either - Sunday afternoon vs a top 4 interstate team then off to Pelican Waters to play in front of 3 cane toads.

I did pass several cane toads walking to Metricon so somewhat true KC but there was also a hearty number of the Sunshine Band roaring for our beloved Roos that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back