List Mgmt. CONFIRMED - Gary Rohan a Cat for pick 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking we might as well have kept Motlop or Caddy.

Caddy would be nice to have as a forward option, but wouldn't have meshed that nicely with our team balance overall.

He's been much better off playing as an undersized KPF for the Tiges. It'll be interesting to see how he goes next year, I can't see him doing nearly as well now that Riewoldt and Lynch will be dominating the marking options. Hopefully we get to see the comical sight of Josh going back into the midfield.

I'm fine with letting them both go....happy with Parfitt in lieu of Caddy... Mots needed a change and while his best was very good, he just didnt deliver often enough.

Not sure how Port rated his output in 2018....
A fair bit better than Sydney rated Rohans,he returns Kersten like numbers to often for my liking,old Fred will be begging to have Murdoch back,Rohan has returned 20 disposals once in his career 2015, Murder did that 5 times this year, Baffling 3 year appointment.

A fair bit better than Sydney rated Rohans,he returns Kersten like numbers to often for my liking,old Fred will be begging to have Murdoch back,Rohan has returned 20 disposals once in his career 2015, Murder did that 5 times this year, Baffling 3 year appointment.
He's got one major advantage over Murdoch; he's not going to play 100 games for Geelong.

Well disposal numbers are just that...numbers. Comparing players playing in one team's structures to another playing under a totally different regime is ...to be polite....folly.

I rate Rohan a superior footballer to Murdoch.

I'm sure some will miss the usual weekly denigration of Murdoch during the season....setting up Rohan for that role before he's even run out on the ground in the hoops is simply agenda setting well in advance.

Well disposal numbers are just that...numbers. Comparing players playing in one team's structures to another playing under a totally different regime is ...to be polite....folly.

I'm sure some will miss the usual weekly denigration of Murdoch during the season....setting up Rohan for that role before he's even run out on the ground in the hoops is simply agenda setting well in advance.
As I was told by the Scouts before they turfed me out, "Be Prepared".;)

Is there any guarantee that Rohan is going to be seen as best 22? A few pleasantries about being a pressure forward aside, I don't really see that expectation as being at all real.

That ridiculous. Thurlow played plenty of good games in the hoops, including a 30 disposals game against the Pies in 2015. He looked extremely promising before his ACL rupture.

Thurlow and Guthrie are both good players, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Fair enough, but what’s ridiculous? That I’ve never seen him play a great/good or memorable game. You have. Wasn’t saying he hadn’t just that I can’t remember him at all playing one. Where as I can plenty for CGuth. It wasn’t an either or and it wasn’t that he’s not a good player pre or post ACL. I would have liked him to stay given his kicking skills but obviously the coaching team thought otherwise. I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

His disposal is ok
When I say 'disposal skills', I mean that he doesn't put it in the right spot for his team mates and that is a disposal skill that requires vision and leadership also! You watch him do it time and time again when he's not under much pressure and he dishes it out to his team mates and puts them under more pressure than he was in to begin with. #GotNoVisionGuthrie

WTF?!? Cam Guthrie may be a good player for the RESERVES but he isn't even fit for seniors! I used to be a fan of Cam Guthrie believe it or not coz i know that he works hard on the track but he seriously lacks vision, leadership and disposal skills! How can you call Nickoo's comment 'ridiculous' then back it up with that garbage?!?

Guthrie was rated the best kick in the AFL a couple of seasons ago. Best you actually watch him play before passing judgement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've seen plenty enough of Rohan to judge what he offers.
there's no doubt his bar has been set - and its not a great one. 7 years of performance like that is hard to argue against - and im not going to.

My bar here is very low.

What I will do is give him 6-8 games however. A change can be as good as a holiday. This might work for him.

So ill hold off my judgement until then - but those that want to have nothing to do with him are fine by me. He's given you reason to.

GO Catters

There has definitely been times in the past where I have watched Rohan play with a bit of envy. He can show the bursts of speed and knows where the goals are. I have seen him tear games apart with high impact plays. If he can hit form and find some consistency, he is going to be an extremely important player. I really like this pick up.

Posted this almost 12 months ago:

"Gary is an enigma. In my opinion he has nearly ever tool you could want in an AFL player: elite speed, good to excellent kick, nice size, can take a contested mark, has shown he can kick it 55 metres easily, first rate courage and determination, I would imagine he is a really coachable guy. His main drawbacks I suppose is his questionable ability to win his own ball, and possibly his fitness but I have no evidence of that.

All this and he just can't get it together consistently or in big moments, or some of the above just disappears."

His lack of ball winning ability and general footy IQ is the reason he hasn't succeeded consistently. I think he can be a decent contributor if played out of the goal square, our coach and gameplan don't exactly allow forwards to be productive unless you are one of the GOATs though. Maybe he will figure it out in Geelong.

Great bloke though and was one of the players I wanted to succeed the most, hope the change of scenery works out well for him.

I can't remember knocking Murdoch,he was down my pecking order,a limited player yes but had a go,as for setting up Rohan,no but I might get a bit cranky with those that gave him a 3 year contract if it doesn't come off,there was plenty of evidence to base that decision on.I hope they have it right.

was talking to a bloke at work about Rohan today, he was telling me that apparently Turner at the Falcons didn't rate him at all and made it really difficult for him to make Falcons.. Apparently if Turner doesn't like you, you don't get in (or it is very hard for you) they reckon he played with a chip on his shoulder the year he was drafted to stick it up Turner.

No idea how much truth is in this, the person who told me had a son knew him or something along those lines... interesting if true... and if true would be nice of that chip on his shoulder to reappear...

"Gary is an enigma. In my opinion he has nearly ever tool you could want in an AFL player: elite speed, good to excellent kick, nice size, can take a contested mark, has shown he can kick it 55 metres easily, first rate courage and determination, I would imagine he is a really coachable guy. His main drawbacks I suppose is his questionable ability to win his own ball, and possibly his fitness but I have no evidence of that.

All this and he just can't get it together consistently or in big moments, or some of the above just disappears."

His lack of ball winning ability and general footy IQ is the reason he hasn't succeeded consistently. I think he can be a decent contributor if played out of the goal square, our coach and gameplan don't exactly allow forwards to be productive unless you are one of the GOATs though. Maybe he will figure it out in Geelong.

Great bloke though and was one of the players I wanted to succeed the most, hope the change of scenery works out well for him.
I don't believe we at Geelong have the players,game plan or skill to give Rohan an armchair ride we needed players who win their own footy and bring others along with them,Rohan will kick TV highlight goals from time to time as he did with Sydney and will go missing as he did with Sydney,he won't develop into a super star under our structures.

I don't believe we at Geelong have the players,game plan or skill to give Rohan an armchair ride we needed players who win their own footy and bring others along with them,Rohan will kick TV highlight goals from time to time as he did with Sydney and will go missing as he did with Sydney,he won't develop into a super star under our structures.

Maybe he has concentration issues or just
lacks intensity and inspiration whilst playing forward.
Might be better as a HB or wing?

Iagree with all that - has the speed - can take a nice mark - nice kick - but as you say just doesnt deliver - just teases a bit

When Geel had that big upset finals win against the Swans in 17 - from memory Rohan was shocking that night - i thought at the time what you thought - why doesnt he play alot better

was talking to a bloke at work about Rohan today, he was telling me that apparently Turner at the Falcons didn't rate him at all and made it really difficult for him to make Falcons.. Apparently if Turner doesn't like you, you don't get in (or it is very hard for you) they reckon he played with a chip on his shoulder the year he was drafted to stick it up Turner.

No idea how much truth is in this, the person who told me had a son knew him or something along those lines... interesting if true... and if true would be nice of that chip on his shoulder to reappear...
It is true that if Turner doesn't like you you don't get in. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back