List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
How would you guys feel about acquiring Caleb Daniel for next to nothing? Clearly his time at the Dogs is up and whilst he’s not at his best, he’d be a top 12-15 player in our team and be one of the best kicks / ball users instantly. Think he’d make sense with the likely delisting of Jones + Witherden being who he is.

How would you guys feel about acquiring Caleb Daniel for next to nothing? Clearly his time at the Dogs is up and whilst he’s not at his best, he’d be a top 12-15 player in our team and be one of the best kicks / ball users instantly. Think he’d make sense with the likely delisting of Jones + Witherden being who he is.

For next to nothing, it's an obvious acquisition. We need experienced old heads that can do a job.

Doubt he'd want to end his career here, though.

If he was going to a bottom four side as the veteran presence to teach the next generation, I feel like he’d stay in Vic and North would chase him better than we could.

One of my favourite non-Eagles, and a few years ago I’d have paid overs for him, but I think rebound off the half back flank is one area we’re actually growing in at an ok rate. Not for me anymore, sadly, unless as you say it was for peanuts (and I think the race for him extends beyond that).

I agree with almost all of this and spot on with Graham. I reckon this is the draft to refresh the defence as there will be a premium on high end picks to take midfielders and there’s some quality defenders available with picks in the teens.

I am hugely optimistic that our forward line is set for years and would like to use our 1R next year to trade for a Chad Warner or Finn Callaghan type rather than taking another young mid that needs years to develop.
I would say the chance of getting Callaghan is precisely 0. Giants will be prioritising his signature, and if he were to leave there'd be countless Vic clubs lining up. No reason to come west.

Interesting option put forward by a Tigers supporter as a straight swap for Baker:

“However if we were to target a player swap to build up our list, I'd be asking about the following players”

Bailey Williams
Ryan Maric
Campbell Chesser
Archer Reid

I'd say Ryan Maric is 0% chance but would anyone entertain the other ones?
BW Yes
Maric perhaps but probably not
Chesser yes
Reid - he was taken last year at pick 30, Baker's worth is clear top 20, so on the balance you'd say yes

Can we stop taking about “nailing” high draft picks?

Weitering and Walsh were clear standouts in their draft year. Using pick 1 on them was the easiest job in AFL recruiting.

Likewise Reid.

Carlton nailed their spine in 2015 which has held them in good stead, but they absolutely bottled multiple drafts.

SPs at 6, Dow at 3, O’Brien at 10, the Stocker trade.

They nailed key posts and then traded their way bay to relevance. Saad, Hewett, Cerra, Acres, even the McGovern trade has come good in the end.
Old mate from the black ducks at 18 or 19.
Boekhurst

Would happily give Baker a miss entirely. Particularly with what Richmond is going to want in a trade.

Handy utility, very likable, but a jack of no trades going to a cellar dwellar side who won't be playing finals for some time, let alone actually contending for anything. #whatsthepoint

Keep the picks, hit the draft. If anything start looking at if any of our players might be looking for a career elsewhere Darling, Gaff, Sheed. Wouldn't be holding my breath on that, but Sheed in particular is still only 29 and might do well playing in a team surrounded by established talent.

There's clearly no place for him at West Coast these days, other than the Beagles.

Do we need him? No.

Are we contending for a flag? No.

Is he mission critical to our team structure or rebuild? No. He's a utility.

Will he be around long term? No. 4-5 years at most seems most likely.

Why would we trade for him then? Because apparently he wants to come here.... :shrug:

I like Baker, handy player, he'd be best 22 easily and we could absolutely use him, but his value is probably at an all time high at the moment and we've got bigger fish to fry.

Wouldn’t mind Daniel as a salary dump. He walks straight into the team on a HBF. In saying that, I’d still rather take Travaglia (who had 31 touches and 2 goals in the CTL) in the draft and Hopkins (27 touches and 7 R50s) in the MSD and build it from the ground up. There’s also some quality HBF free agents next year:

Ed Richards
Kane Farrell
Brandon Starcevich

I’ve also been very keen on Isaac Cumming but he’s just done a 6 week hammy first game back from a calf issue. May mean there’s less competition for him but the injury history is concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was going to a bottom four side as the veteran presence to teach the next generation, I feel like he’d stay in Vic and North would chase him better than we could.

One of my favourite non-Eagles, and a few years ago I’d have paid overs for him, but I think rebound off the half back flank is one area we’re actually growing in at an ok rate. Not for me anymore, sadly, unless as you say it was for peanuts (and I think the race for him extends beyond that).
Our turnovers trying to rebound out of D50 are just about the worst attribute of our game. We regularly butcher the ball in dangerous areas, never seem to have the run and overlap that the Pies did so well and outside of Gov there is no one in the D50 that I trust with ball in hand to make a good decision and hit a target. Duggo in flashes maybe when he’s kicking within himself. R50 is an absolute priority for drafting this year IMO. I tend to share your view with most of your posts but what are you seeing here that I’m not?

Our turnovers trying to rebound out of D50 are just about the worst attribute of our game. We regularly butcher the ball in dangerous areas, never seem to have the run and overlap that the Pies did so well and outside of Gov there is no one in the D50 that I trust with ball in hand to make a good decision and hit a target. Duggo in flashes maybe when he’s kicking within himself. R50 is an absolute priority for drafting this year IMO. I tend to share your view with most of your posts but what are you seeing here that I’m not?

Getting classy ball users in the back half is an absolute priority, but I think we can do that by using/developing what we already have on our list.

Dewar would be a great rebounding half back, he’s quite good over head and is a classy user.

Burgiel was close to debuting before his appendicitis.

Ryan should be used at half back if he is struggling to get amongst the play.

Maric is another great ball user.

If we get Baker he is also a very neat user.

Same for Busslinger whose best attribute is his rebound.

We have a stacked forward line compared to backs, and we should be moving some pieces to get some more drive out of backline in place of Rotham and Witherden.

If we do trade for Baker and or Busslinger it’s likely we go to the draft with pick 3-5 and a 4th rounder.

First pick must be a mid. One of FOS/Smilie/Smith/Draper/Moraes.

4th rounder could be anything, but it’s unlikely that player plays and has any impact on 2025.

More likely his partner didn’t want to get married while pregnant.

Maybe but he did say he would wait and see where he would be next year ..
Source—
Yeo and Hewitt were on a Podcast with Thumper a few weeks ago ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do we need him? No.

Are we contending for a flag? No.

Is he mission critical to our team structure or rebuild? No. He's a utility.

Will he be around long term? No. 4-5 years at most seems most likely.

Why would we trade for him then? Because apparently he wants to come here.... :shrug:

I like Baker, handy player, he'd be best 22 easily and we could absolutely use him, but his value is probably at an all time high at the moment and we've got bigger fish to fry.
This 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back