List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Do you watch the WAFL games? Hall has been meh this season.
It's the worst team to develop in.

If he's getting 20 touches for them that's probably like getting 40 for a top side

I reckon he'd contribute more than his fair share stepping up to AFL, just needs his shot

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who do we take? Seems like a lot getting spruiked are 190ish KPFs.

Small forward looks like a gap on our list - perhaps we consider Oskar smartt?
No idea but we need to continue having feel good stories like new guys and debuts otherwise it could all get dark and 100 point lossy again quick.

TBH I'd take someone who can keep the ball inside 50, just a small tackling crazy guy

It's the worst team to develop in.

If he's getting 20 touches for them that's probably like getting 40 for a top side

I reckon he'd contribute more than his fair share stepping up to AFL, just needs his shot

It is a terrible team to develop in. I don’t agree he has shown he would be a strong contributor at this stage. Fumbly and poor skills in general. Should be behind culley and trew as they have performed better.

Cutting out the part of my post that was relevant to first paragraph

My point is we can’t use the draft to solve the problem with ball use in our back.

Our top pick needs to be a mid, and after trade period our next pick after our first is likely to be in the 50’s.

Will need to use players on our list, and players we bring in via trade to address it, which is why I prefaced it with “if we get…”

Not sure why that’s hard to understand.

Getting classy ball users in the back half is an absolute priority, but I think we can do that by using/developing what we already have on our list.

Dewar would be a great rebounding half back, he’s quite good over head and is a classy user.

Burgiel was close to debuting before his appendicitis.

Ryan should be used at half back if he is struggling to get amongst the play.

Maric is another great ball user.

If we get Baker he is also a very neat user.

Same for Busslinger whose best attribute is his rebound.

We have a stacked forward line compared to backs, and we should be moving some pieces to get some more drive out of backline in place of Rotham and Witherden.

If we do trade for Baker and or Busslinger it’s likely we go to the draft with pick 3-5 and a 4th rounder.

First pick must be a mid. One of FOS/Smilie/Smith/Draper/Moraes.

4th rounder could be anything, but it’s unlikely that player plays and has any impact on 2025.
All nice options in an ideal world but we need a bona fide HBF. Think Whitfield or Coleman with more attacking flair. I can see multiple ways of splitting pick 3 and ending up with one of the last three and Travaglia who is the best HBF to come through the draft in the last couple of years. Buss has grown to 198cm and whilst he starts his career as the 3rd tall I’d nope he’d end up a KPD at that height. I hope our opening offer to him is F2 and we only get Baker in the extremely unlikely event of being given a PP that we need to trade.

Getting classy ball users in the back half is an absolute priority, but I think we can do that by using/developing what we already have on our list.

Dewar would be a great rebounding half back, he’s quite good over head and is a classy user.

Burgiel was close to debuting before his appendicitis.

Ryan should be used at half back if he is struggling to get amongst the play.

Maric is another great ball user.

If we get Baker he is also a very neat user.

Same for Busslinger whose best attribute is his rebound.

We have a stacked forward line compared to backs, and we should be moving some pieces to get some more drive out of backline in place of Rotham and Witherden.

If we do trade for Baker and or Busslinger it’s likely we go to the draft with pick 3-5 and a 4th rounder.

First pick must be a mid. One of FOS/Smilie/Smith/Draper/Moraes.

4th rounder could be anything, but it’s unlikely that player plays and has any impact on 2025.

"If we do trade for Baker and or Busslinger it’s likely we go to the draft with pick 3-5 and a 4th rounder."

With the dire state of our list, going to the draft with this after acquiring Baker would be an unmitigated disaster.

Don't mind parking the Buss up, but Baker's age profile offers us very little and we don't need any more smallish players on the list.

Let him go and become the 7th dwarf at the Dockers.

Bo isn’t related to Ed
1715559031164.png bojack.jpg

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

All nice options in an ideal world but we need a bona fide HBF. Think Whitfield or Coleman with more attacking flair. I can see multiple ways of splitting pick 3 and ending up with one of the last three and Travaglia who is the best HBF to come through the draft in the last couple of years. Buss has grown to 198cm and whilst he starts his career as the 3rd tall I’d nope he’d end up a KPD at that height. I hope our opening offer to him is F2 and we only get Baker in the extremely unlikely event of being given a PP that we need to trade.

If we were able to turn our first in to Moraes and Travaglia that would be a great outcome.

"If we do trade for Baker and or Busslinger it’s likely we go to the draft with pick 3-5 and a 4th rounder."

With the dire state of our list, going to the draft with this after acquiring Baker would be an unmitigated disaster.

Don't mind parking the Buss up, but Baker's age profile offers us very little and we don't need any more smallish players on the list.

Let him go and become the 7th dwarf at the Dockers.

We are in a slightly difficult spot in that we need to continue adding elite young talent 21 and under, primarily through the draft, while also continuing to fill the gaping age profile home on our list.

Our first should be used in the draft (unless it gets us Warner which is remote) and we need to continue trading for needs.

Everyone on here continually talks about the speculative nature of picks in 20’s and yet is also unwilling to trade said speculative picks for a player who would be proven B22 in a position of need, who also helps address the issue with our age profile.

It really doesn’t make much sense.

We will need to use all available mechanisms to us over the next 3 years. Draft, trade and free agency.

Our turnovers trying to rebound out of D50 are just about the worst attribute of our game. We regularly butcher the ball in dangerous areas, never seem to have the run and overlap that the Pies did so well and outside of Gov there is no one in the D50 that I trust with ball in hand to make a good decision and hit a target. Duggo in flashes maybe when he’s kicking within himself. R50 is an absolute priority for drafting this year IMO. I tend to share your view with most of your posts but what are you seeing here that I’m not?
It’s not that I think we’re the finished article there, just that we’re showing some growth there with the players we have. The backline has been good this year, all things considered, and they can all hit one (plus throw some howlers in). I think as it grows naturally it improves, on top of some nice back half to goals chains we’ve put together this year.

Daniel won’t be available for free, and after that it’s a matter of how much do we pay to win the bidding war. If we did get him I’d almost be more intrigued by him on the wing, splitting time with Hunt perhaps, as he’s not much of a defender but is a phenomenal user behind play.

I just think that’s not where we need to use assets right now, and I’d rather bring in an older and slightly out of favour mid from elsewhere in the league than unsettle a backline I’m reasonably happy with.

It’s not that I think we’re the finished article there, just that we’re showing some growth there with the players we have. The backline has been good this year, all things considered, and they can all hit one (plus throw some howlers in). I think as it grows naturally it improves, on top of some nice back half to goals chains we’ve put together this year.

Daniel won’t be available for free, and after that it’s a matter of how much do we pay to win the bidding war. If we did get him I’d almost be more intrigued by him on the wing, splitting time with Hunt perhaps, as he’s not much of a defender but is a phenomenal user behind play.

I just think that’s not where we need to use assets right now, and I’d rather bring in an older and slightly out of favour mid from elsewhere in the league than unsettle a backline I’m reasonably happy with.
Gov and TB (since R3) have both been great, Hough has been outstanding in a lock down role and Duggo has been reasonably consistent in those aspects of defence. I just don’t see any growth in the run and carry and distributor types and think we need to address it in the MSD and the draft as well as via FA next year but I hope your assessment turns out to be better than mine.

With the mids other than taking the best available with our first pick I’d like to give it a bit more time to see them develop and see exactly where our biggest we deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit on Baker from Herald Sun (Jon Ralph).

Keeping in mind Pyke was on radio in the last couple of weeks saying we would be very interested in Baker if he was to become available.

Liam Baker is seen as keen to get to West Coast, with his teammates well aware of his club of choice.

Fremantle is still interested and has three first-round picks.

When Jordan Clark returned from Geelong he saw West Coast as a probable landing spot.

He had to be told explicitly by West Coast they just weren’t interested before he eventually got on board with making Fremantle his home.

So given West Coast would have to split its first-round pick to get Baker – offering a first-rounder in the back-end of that round – it is by no means a fait accompli that Baker gets to West Coast.

But it will be the starting point in negotiations, and whatever the case the Tigers will need a pick within 15 to get a deal done.”

A bit on Baker from Herald Sun (Jon Ralph).

Keeping in mind Pyke was on radio in the last couple of weeks saying we would be very interested in Baker if he was to become available.

Liam Baker is seen as keen to get to West Coast, with his teammates well aware of his club of choice.

Fremantle is still interested and has three first-round picks.

When Jordan Clark returned from Geelong he saw West Coast as a probable landing spot.

He had to be told explicitly by West Coast they just weren’t interested before he eventually got on board with making Fremantle his home.

So given West Coast would have to split its first-round pick to get Baker – offering a first-rounder in the back-end of that round – it is by no means a fait accompli that Baker gets to West Coast.

But it will be the starting point in negotiations, and whatever the case the Tigers will need a pick within 15 to get a deal done.”

Top 15 pick = pass

Probably fair ish value at 15-18, but not a price that we can afford in our current state.

If we were 6th or 7th with the hope to push into the top 4 then yep, but for now a f2 (or 2026 r2 if rules change) is what we can pay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

HBF and wing are the easiest position to draft for. Up there with a forward pocket.

I don't know why people are stressing.

Use later capital on them
I disagree, with the way the game is played these days with so much based off run from half back and getting the ball into your elite users hands, you do want to prioritise an getting elite half back with an early pick. At least in the first round

Top 15 pick = pass

Probably fair ish value at 15-18, but not a price that we can afford in our current state.

If we were 6th or 7th with the hope to push into the top 4 then yep, but for now a f2 (or 2026 r2 if rules change) is what we can pay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ralph going for overs on trade value.

He should be our F2nd or 2nd.

BW Yes
Maric perhaps but probably not
Chesser yes
Reid - he was taken last year at pick 30, Baker's worth is clear top 20, so on the balance you'd say yes
Archer Reid is eight years younger than Baker and a key position player over 200cms... no way would I consider swapping him after one year even if their draft value 'seems' equitable.

I dont think Baker will be it either. We have mentioned multiples

Id be inclined to trade pick 3 and 3rd rounder for pick 10,11 and 13 from Freo who I think may want quality over quantity if given the chance.
We don’t have a 3R and there’s no way freo swap all their 1R for pick 3. If GCS or Freo have their first pick good enough to get one of the three players I mentioned above then pick 3 for either club’s first 2 picks is the likely trade. Let’s hope Lombard has a great champs and pushes as high as possible. Or we tell GCS we want to bid on him and ask if they would like to trade.

We're likely to finish second bottom, we march Baker to the PSD if Richmond are hell bent on a first rounder.
We have to play hard ball.

Whilst I’m happy to see Richmond struggling this year, the downside is that it may well take the PSD out of the equation as a negotiating tool for Baker

He’s not worth a top 15 pick and if we do split our R1 it needs to be for two quality draftees like we got with Ginbey and Hewett. Whether that’s a possibility or not is way too early to tell

Our R2 or F2 is the ceiling in terms of what I’d be happy to handover for Baker even though Richmond would rightly consider that unders. Too bad for them tbh

Whilst I’m happy to see Richmond struggling this year, the downside is that it may well take the PSD out of the equation as a negotiating tool for Baker

He’s not worth a top 15 pick and if we do split our R1 it needs to be for two quality draftees like we got with Ginbey and Hewett. Whether that’s a possibility or not is way too early to tell

Our R2 or F2 is the ceiling in terms of what I’d be happy to handover for Baker even though Richmond would rightly consider that unders. Too bad for them tbh

It didn’t take PsD out of the equation for Jack Martin whe he left wooden spooners Gold Coast in 2019.

The PSD exists for one reason- to provide a player movement mechanism for players when trade negotiations break down effectively circumventing a restraint of trade lawsuit.

A player entering the PSD and then being taken by the same club would be text book restraint of trade.

AFL and AFLPA would not allow that to occur.

Do you honestly think we have the courage to stay true to that. We have very very very weak people when it comes to trading and drafting. I cant imagine a scenario where we dont bend in it Richmonds demands. Its the way we are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back