List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
So we’re cheating the salary cap to keep Reid, now????

C’mon guys, this is getting silly
We can't cheat obviously. But there might be grey areas outside the scope of what the AFL can govern. If some savvy business people who are friends of the club but don't work for the club want to kiss him into some lucrative business opportunities where he can be a passive investor then there is probably not much the AFL can do about that. I am pretty sure that that is what was done for Judd.

Would you rather do nothing for him and just hope he re - signs with the wooden spoon club on the other side of the country from his friends and family?

It’s probably true that many/most people don’t want to live in or near Geelong but what Geelong have done well is specifically target those who do

There was a stat going round at the time of their 2022 premiership about the number of players on their list that had come from country or semi-rural areas. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it was significant

They pushed the lifestyle angle and lower cost of housing helping them attract players without paying exorbitant salaries. Obviously them being a successful club also helped

It’s a point of difference for them and they found a way to exploit it.

All we need to do is find players who have a passion for bell towers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably so ... until he gets the s*** kicked out of him every week by experienced and more physically mature taggers pushing him around and using all of their usual tactics to get at star players and gets shut out of games by all the defensive pressure concentrated on him, at which point he might be willing to vote for an easier life.
Our young midfeild will be swall in 2.9 years. Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Hall 2024 1st, 2025 1st. Reid won't be the only player they need to watch out for.

All we need to do is find players who have a passion for bell towers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A team of Quasimodos would be quite something

Ground ball gets would go up, overhead marking not so much

Gettable reporting that VFL Collingwood player Jack Hutchinson is the likely leader for the no. 1 selection in the mid season draft, albeit very early at this point. Obviously, if we remain in last position and do what we have done the last two years (take the favourite) it will be interesting to see how his season progresses over the next 8-10 weeks.
GHVG7lrbgAAp1KJ

IMO Ried will follow Judd's lead and move back to Vic after 6/7 seasons.

Hopefully winning a flag before he goes.

It would make sense as he looks like a loyal type but when he reaches 25 / 26 the offers coming out of Vic would be insane. And the travel factor does shorten careers and would be in his mind at some stage.

Just thinks it is likely to happen but if we get 6 or 8 years out of Harely thats fine.
Wash your mouth out. Whatever they can offer in Victoria we will top.

Probably so ... until he gets the s*** kicked out of him every week by experienced and more physically mature taggers pushing him around and using all of their usual tactics to get at star players and gets shut out of games by all the defensive pressure concentrated on him, at which point he might be willing to vote for an easier life.
Is that you Kane?

Gettable reporting that VFL Collingwood player Jack Hutchinson is the likely leader for the no. 1 selection in the mid season draft, albeit very early at this point. Obviously, if we remain in last position and do what we have done the last two years (take the favourite) it will be interesting to see how his season progresses over the next 8-10 weeks.
GHVG7lrbgAAp1KJ
Can honestly say I’d never even heard of this bloke before this year but obviously a good start in the VFL. I also really hope we’re keeping an eye on 18-21yo KPD with this pick. Wil Patton etc.

We can't cheat obviously. But there might be grey areas outside the scope of what the AFL can govern. If some savvy business people who are friends of the club but don't work for the club want to kiss him into some lucrative business opportunities where he can be a passive investor then there is probably not much the AFL can do about that. I am pretty sure that that is what was done for Judd.

Would you rather do nothing for him and just hope he re - signs with the wooden spoon club on the other side of the country from his friends and family?

Harley just gets put on the HJ ownership list.

A new HJ is built and Harley invests after getting a loan based on his future earnings. Put it in to a family trust and the profits get distributed per the trust deed.

Nothing dodgy about that at all. Its an investment.

Any guys that weren't drafted last year that we're unlucky not to?

Koen Sanchez?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounded like Koen's size and injury issues were why he didnt get picked up.

Everyrhing else about the kid read like he would get drafted.

D'Ambrossio was a mid season pickup wasnt he? And exactly the type we need. Fast agile rebounding defender who can play wing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't live that far from the beach (100M) and its something I chose. I enjoy Perth breaches but am sure the local love is relatively overhyped. Geelong, your country peace, is a quick drive to what is arguable the best surf in Australia and great beaches. There are girls/sun/beaches in Sydney and GC would argue they have an edge.
Sure pick your poison, but Perth has by far the best metro beaches in Aus. The entire coast is beaches and it's beaches of all sorts.

Sure Perth doesn't have the true glamour beaches like Sydney and Gold Coast, but Perth's are either of a much higher quality i.e. Gold Coast or not hideously crowded I.e Sydney.

Bondi and the Northern Beaches are proper but they are hideously crowded. Adelaide has some pretty beaches but they are rank in person, flat, lukewarm and shallow. Everything else is regional.

Isn’t Darling only 31? Tex Walker was on the scrap heap for a while there IIRC but has certainly turned it around and is now one of the games better forwards again. Does anyone think that Darling could do the same in an improved side?

Sure pick your poison, but Perth has by far the best metro beaches in Aus. The entire coast is beaches and it's beaches of all sorts.

Sure Perth doesn't have the true glamour beaches like Sydney and Gold Coast, but Perth's are either of a much higher quality i.e. Gold Coast or not hideously crowded I.e Sydney.

Bondi and the Northern Beaches are proper but they are hideously crowded. Adelaide has some pretty beaches but they are rank in person, flat, lukewarm and shallow. Everything else is regional.
Not to detail the thread but I used to think Perth had the greatest beaches when I was living there. Living in Sydney now I think Sydney’s are better. Each beach is vastly different with natural pools, man made rock pools, bays, heads, harbour beaches, world class surf, world class cafes and restaurants abutting

Perth to me now just looks like one long sandy beach. Beautiful for a little while yes but you want something different to look at every now and then

a dead argument - plays want to play not sit won a beach.

PS - beaches aren't crowded during the week when players are free.

Isn’t Darling only 31? Tex Walker was on the scrap heap for a while there IIRC but has certainly turned it around and is now one of the games better forwards again. Does anyone think that Darling could do the same in an improved side?

Taylor Walkers bad back then is at the same level as Jack Darlings good games these days.

There is zero point getting our knickers in a knot over Harley’s contract and thinking about ways to cheat the cap to keep him.

He’s not signing anytime soon. And if he signs it will be off the back of on field improvement, not $$$. We can match and top any offer out there.

Personally I’m not spending the next 3 years worried if Harley signs or not, and I’d suggest you and others do the same. Just enjoy the ride and what will be will be.

Last edited:

e.g. give him a HJs or 3?

GHVG7lrbgAAp1KJ

Hopefully there will be 1-2 other players who pop up. A medium forward is the last thing we need at the moment.

Harley just gets put on the HJ ownership list.

A new HJ is built and Harley invests after getting a loan based on his future earnings. Put it in to a family trust and the profits get distributed per the trust deed.

Nothing dodgy about that at all. Its an investment.
Pfft...loans....he will pay for it in cash, pulling it out of brown paper bags.

GHVG7lrbgAAp1KJ

We don’t need another medium sized forward so let’s hope someone else pops up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back