Politics Coon cheese?

change the name?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't establish the brand

A company named it after him because the processed they used was developed by him.

He's no guru in the cheese industry either fwiw (doubt he's even remembered in America)

There's probably a point you're missing here Ned.

only to have someone get offended that's what his name is and people buckle to the vocal minority.

There's probably a point you're missing here Ned.

I wasn't addressing that point. I was addressing the claim that EW Coon created the coon brand. He didn't.

The misinformation on this is huge. People claim he invented the brand. People claim he was an icon of the dairy industry who revolutionised cheese manufacturing. He wasn't. He was a guy whoo reduced the maturation time of cheddar by tinkering with temperature levels - that's it.

I wasn't addressing that point. I was addressing the claim that EW Coon created the coon brand. He didn't.

The misinformation on this is huge. People claim he invented the brand. People claim he was an icon of the dairy industry who revolutionised cheese manufacturing. He wasn't. He was a guy whoo reduced the maturation time of cheddar by tinkering with temperature levels - that's it.
Does it matter what he did? I dont need the history of cheese. The cheese was named after him. It was his name, and the brand was his name.

Does it matter what he did? I dont need the history of cheese. The cheese was named after him. It was his name, and the brand was his name.

there is a big difference between dying on a hill for a name with great significance and meaning, and one which is borderline incidental

the dude was an american who slightly modified the maturation process of cheddar by juicing temps. thats it

idiots making out the name is iconic and sacred are plain ignorant

there is a big difference between dying on a hill for a name with great significance and meaning, and one which is borderline incidental

the dude was an american who slightly modified the maturation process of cheddar by juicing temps. thats it

idiots making out the name is iconic and sacred are plain ignorant

I doubt many people care about the man himself.

Most of us who find this problematic see the bigger issue of a bunch of bored people with very little going on in life choosing to target whatever microscopic little thing in society they can to make a name for themselves somewhere so as to not leave the earth as nothing more than a fart in the wind.

Also for money too, like the fraud Stephen Hagan.

Win one, move to the next, and the next. Sends a bad message and a horrid precedent.

Even if it is only a cheese brand name. Extrapolating Hagan’s point ends in everybody with the surname Coon being forced by Twitter to change their names by deed poll.

Ahh activists. When you have legit no purpose in life so you’ll try and change everything for everyone else in society instead, whether they want it or not.

I doubt many people care about the man himself.

Most of us who find this problematic see the bigger issue of a bunch of bored people with very little going on in life choosing to target whatever microscopic little thing in society they can to make a name for themselves somewhere so as to not leave the earth as nothing more than a fart in the wind.

Also for money too, like the fraud Stephen Hagan.

Win one, move to the next, and the next. Sends a bad message and a horrid precedent.

Even if it is only a cheese brand name. Extrapolating Hagan’s point ends in everybody with the surname Coon being forced by Twitter to change their names by deed poll.

Ahh activists. When you have legit no purpose in life so you’ll try and change everything for everyone else in society instead, whether they want it or not.
Stephen Hagan's a fraud?

Not a big deal but not a bad idea to change it either.

Move on.

Too right. As long as nobody changes this

041516-300x300.jpg

Coon can change into whatever it wants to. Strong and bitey = cheese of the gods. Cheesus!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too right. As long as nobody changes this

041516-300x300.jpg

Coon can change into whatever it wants to. Strong and bitey = cheese of the gods. Cheesus!
I always had you pegged for a Bega-male

It's a funny one. I don't buy Coon (Bega as it's Aussie owned), don't care for the history of the name and the shouldn't really care.

For some reason these things just piss me off.

Jonathan Pie usually articulates these things well.

This is why you should never appease these loser, you give them want they want but it is never enough.

The name Coon on the cheese never bothered me but if one of you campaigners called me one I'd go out of my way to hurt you.

None the less more power to Stephen Hagan if it bothers the losers whinging in here.

I wasn't addressing that point

Seems the 'point' of the thread is the renaming of a cheese brand because a minority find someone's surname offensive. Otherwise it's unlikely the thread would even exist.

Looks like another form of cancel culture doesn't it, that's probably more important to debate isn't it.

The other 'points' like branding or misinformation, how much a cheese aficionado Coon was, if that's something you want to debate then good for you (and anyone you're debating frivolous points with).

Last edited:
Extrapolating Hagan’s point ends in everybody with the surname Coon being forced by Twitter to change their names by deed poll.

And anyone with surnames:

Black
Brown
Yellow
White (edit this is excused apparently).
Glasscock
Cockburn
Green (coz it might offend the greens or greens voters or even their opposition, just at the mention of 'green')

Or any name that someone somewhere might take offence to, these are just off the top of my head.

This seems to be the point of the thread right?

Seems the 'point' of the thread is the renaming of a cheese brand because a minority find someone's surname offensive. Otherwise it's unlikely the thread would even exist.

Looks like another form of cancel culture doesn't it, that's probably more important to debate isn't it.

The other 'points' like branding or misinformation, how much a cheese aficionado Coon was, if that's something you want to debate then good for you (and anyone you're debating frivolous points with).

And if you get your head out of its perpetual victim mentality, my point was relevant to that

It's a nothing name. It means nothing special and isn't sacred or special in any way. So if it's upsetting people, why not change it.

And it's ******* cheap cheese. Let's not pretend it's an iconic Australian product, it's outsold by most other brands in the market

How many people defending the name only want to do so to piss Aboriginals and lefties off?

And anyone with surnames:

Black
Brown
Yellow
White (edit this is excused apparently).
Glasscock
Cockburn
Green (coz it might offend the greens or greens voters or even their opposition, just at the mention of 'green')

Or any name that someone somewhere might take offence to, these are just off the top of my head.

This seems to be the point of the thread right?

Or names that may be deemed offensive in future, just not now. I'm sure the name Karen has dropped dramatically as a new baby name in recent times and will probably be considered a form of bullying and offensive eventually.

Or names that may be deemed offensive in future, just not now. I'm sure the name Karen has dropped dramatically as a new baby name in recent times and will probably be considered a form of bullying and offensive eventually.
That's the nature of language and human communication though. It evolves alongside society.

Back