Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been a regular gym goer for 10 years. The gym offered a free membership to cyberobics while theyve been shut. I thought it would be rubbish.... but i dont think im going back to the gym!
James the beast Wilson is indeed a beast!

We’ve had just under 400 join our online community, I have staff providing free virtual sessions, from yoga and Pilates to hiit workouts, core workouts and strength workouts. We also have a nutritionist provide a 2 live cooking classes each week, our yoga instructor takes mindfulness sessions and we have a live QA with a special guest each week. We are doing it completely free and people are loving it, it’s helping us stay engaged in members lives as well as providing a platform for them to have some structured exercise.

Working out from home is certainly possible, I’ve set up a ripper home gym but for those who need stimuli it can be a challenge. I actually had my 6 weekly consultation with my dietician on Friday, my body fat numbers have increased (normally sit around 13-14%) and I think it’s just due to being home eating more weet bix 😂. She’s a smart one though, sold me her book “eat like an athlete” whilst there, I was half way backed into a corner “you’re getting fat, here’s my book to keep nutrition habits front of mind”.

Sure, so you can see why some people might be a little hesitant to shut down the global economy for a virus which many more times often then not kill people that will die anyway? Cool?
So if you (personally) had the choice of dying right now or in two or three years time, which would you choose?

So if you (personally) had the choice of dying right now or in two or three years time, which would you choose?

Why do you need to personalise this? In the context of being a healthy 33 year old with no pre-existing conditions it’s really a moot point...

Recent data emerging suggests that 99.9 per cent of people under 50 with no pre-existing conditions will not die from the virus. And the risk of serious infection drops dramatically if you exercise and keep a base level of fitness (remember obesity is a choice and a terrible burden on public health and the public purse).

That said, public policy is a process of trade offs and the trade off on lethality, R0 and populations that are prone to serious infections is real.

Thing is, I really think our response will be driven by the G7 and G20 response.

Strangely, 5 weeks after hearing about the Australian governments much vaunted ‘economic hibernation’ policy we haven’t heard much about how it was received by the g20 in the telephone hook up.

I wonder why...

Last edited:

The best scientific way to describe the death rate for SARS-Covid-2 is A LOT.

Here's some numbers.

View attachment 864528

In case you're not a numbers person

View attachment 864530

What else did you want me to use other than strawman when the only thing you provided of value was the ridicule of a religious belief which goes against forum guidelines.

There's no herd immunity for coronavirus they are one highest mutating family of viruses. Until we can vaccinate against it and everyone gets a vaccine ever year there will be no herd immunity.
Wow, those graphs are quite scary. CFR etc don’t seem so important when you see the absolute number of people dying from this. Thanks for sharing

Why do you need to personalise this?
I personalised it because the way your answer was delivered seemed to be devoid of compassion and understanding (but i do not think you meant it to sound that way). Sort of number crunching over life or death? every one would like to spend more time with Family and friends. Being only 33 death is not on your mind yet, but it will be one day

Thing is, I really think our response will be driven by the G7 and G20 response.

Strangely, 5 weeks after hearing about the Australian governments much vaunted ‘economic hibernation’ policy we haven’t much about how it was received by the g20 in the telephone hook up. I wonder why...

So which of the G20 are continuing business as us usual ?

Which of the g20 nations do you reckon would have lectured Australia about the folly of it's policy.

Italy?

France?

Perhaps the UK ? Or maybe the US:think:

Why do you need to personalise this? In the context of being a healthy 33 year old with no pre-existing conditions it’s really a moot point...

Recent data emerging suggests that 99.9 per cent of people under 50 with no pre-existing conditions will not die from the virus. And the risk of serious infection drops dramatically if you exercise and keep a base level of fitness (remember obesity is a choice and a terrible burden on public health and the public purse).

That said, public policy is a process of trade offs and the trade off on lethality, R0 and populations that are prone to serious infections is real.

Strangely, 5 weeks after hearing about the Australian governments much vaunted ‘economic hibernation’ policy we haven’t much about how it was received by the g20 in the telephone hook up.

I wonder why...

Obesity and cardiovascular associated disease is a far far more dangerous “pandemic” than Covid19, the sad thing, as you said, it’s totally preventable. Extremely sad state of affairs, the line up at drive throughs at McDonald’s atm is insane.

Gyms are essential services, they should not be closed. Hahahaha.

People are excersing 30% more!

View attachment 864813

Not to mention that cleaning, gardening and sex have all increased and that adds to the kj burned.

Are there any stats tracking condom purchases and abortion procedures? I'm wondering if we'll have a glut of newborns in the near future.

You didn't answer the question that was put.

It's not a moot point at all.

It goes to your attitude toward the older and more vulnerable, which clearly, in the light of the rest of your response, is to devalue those lives.

50 and older?

Not in good shape?

Your own fault

We healthy 33 year olds will be right, so why should we be inconvenienced by all this?

Why don't you just put your cards on the table instead of making inferences?

Strangely, 5 weeks after hearing about the Australian governments much vaunted ‘economic hibernation’ policy we haven’t much about how it was received by the g20 in the telephone hook up.

I wonder why...

You’re far too sensible for big footy!

The only problem I have with your post is your claim that 99.9% of people under 50 with no preexisting conditions will survive. This overstating the danger to these groups.

If aggregated data suggests A survival rate of 99.6% to 99.7% for ALL AGES, regardless of underlying health, I suspect the death rateS among the cohort categories you mentioned are pretty much negligible.

You didn't answer the question that was put.

It's not a moot point at all.

It goes to your attitude toward the older and more vulnerable, which clearly, in the light of the rest of your response, is to devalue those lives.

50 and older?

Not in good shape?

Your own fault

We healthy 33 year olds will be right, so why should we be inconvenienced by all this?

Why don't you just put your cards on the table instead of making inferences?

Absolutely, healthy 50 year olds and younger are much more important to the factor of economic production relative to the older and more vulnerable populations.

So the numbers do matter, just as much as the types of people more prone to this.

Given the likelihood of a deep recession is huge, understanding the health ramifications for the most economically valuable is extremely important.

It’s that trade off in public policy decisions again...

Trump biases aside, this is a very rational and sensible podcast...

And yes, obesity (which is more prevalent among lower socioeconomic populations) is a huge burden on the public purse.

Of course the irony is that the lockdowns actually make that choice worse and will make the economic recovery even more difficult.

So which of the G20 are continuing business as us usual ?

Which of the g20 nations do you reckon would have lectured Australia about the folly of it's policy.

Italy?

France?

Perhaps the UK ? Or maybe the US:think:

I mean that’s great and all, but what of the six month defined economic hibernation policy.

I can’t find the reference any where in the public notes since :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personalised it because the way your answer was delivered seemed to be devoid of compassion and understanding (but i do not think you meant it to sound that way). Sort of number crunching over life or death? every one would like to spend more time with Family and friends. Being only 33 death is not on your mind yet, but it will be one day

In a way , it's understandable that the younger and fitter tend to have this type of attitude.

When you're 20 something or 30 something, the 60 plus in society seem positively ancient. Well they did to me.

You get there quicker than you think.

Scientists debunk the conspiracy theories and show the virus came form animals and not a lab.
This is just silly.

The lab was researching virus from bats.
They had wild bats, including horseshoe bats which are known carriers of Coronaviruses.

They may have been specifically researching one other particular Coronavirus strain. That's fine.

But there is STILL no evidence that it didn't come from another wild bat in the lab. Or someone transporting a wild bat to the lab for study. Or someone incorrectly disposing of a dead bat.

A lab with bad biosecurity standards could still be the source. This article proves precisely nothing.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't the source. I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories. But without independent investigation of the lab, it's records, personnel and practices, anyone saying it either was or wasn't the source it talking out their ***.

In a way , it's understandable that the younger and fitter tend to have this type of attitude.

When you're 20 something or 30 something, the 60 plus in society seem positively ancient. Well they did to me.

Public policy would be pretty easy if the sole objective was to extend elderly people’s lives as long as possible.

The actual reality is that there are always opportunity costs associated with applying resources toward achieving a policy outcome.

can we get a link to this essential service? Big Footy posters should not be missing out on this essential service you provide.

You wouldn’t fit in, not a place for laziness . But there are a few members on BF that use my sites and are members, champion lads, hopefully one gets drafted 👍

Last edited:
Senicide has a long history. In my own cultural inheritance, elderly deemed a threat to community survival may have been abandoned in the desert, or thrown off a cliff, or down a hole. The regularity of these practices is debated as is when they stopped.

These days older folk in my culture are isolated from families who no longer are able to care for them. They are taken out of the family and placed in their own aged communities which are usually governed by younger entrepreneurs. Children of the elderly are able to visit during visiting times.

In my wife's culture, elderly people are usually cared for by children and grand children in the family home until death. These multi-generational families usually suffer from crowded home conditions, the constant presence of other people, high noise levels, regular meal times, longer life spans, and they often require some adults not to work, and children not to leave the family home, in order to look after the elderly.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What’s your point? I mean the drawback is the decimated pension funds, the hikes in consumption, franking credits and hikes to stamp duty and income taxes that will follow (to pay the public debt down).

Then you have the closures of elective surgery (thankfully now opened up), longer term hikes in medical insurance, isolation and Telehealth constraints that come from the lock down...

So absolutely, some perspective is needed...

Good thing we have obese people in lock down, I’m sure that’ll help things when this thing inevitably spreads anyway :drunk:

Last edited:
I actually had my 6 weekly consultation with my dietician on Friday, my body fat numbers have increased (normally sit around 13-14%) and I think it’s just due to being home eating more weet bix 😂. She’s a smart one though, sold me her book “eat like an athlete” whilst there, I was half way backed into a corner “you’re getting fat, here’s my book to keep nutrition habits front of mind”.
How is it possible you see a dietitian every six weeks and you still need to buy books on how to not get fat?

What’s your point? I mean the drawback is the decimated pension funds, the hikes in consumption, franking credits and hikes to stamp duty and income taxes that will follow (to pay the public debt down).

Then you have the closures of elective surgery (thankfully now opened up), longer term hikes in medical insurance, isolation and Telehealth constraints that come from the lock down...

So absolutely, some perspective is needed

I know what your perspective is.

Sacrifice the old, the frail and the disadvantaged on the alter of Economics and expediency.

I agree that some balance is needed but you views are too extreme for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back