MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
The federal government announced a ban on normal cruise ship arrival and disembarkation from foreign ports on the 15th, yet the Ruby Princess was one of 4 ships granted an exemption.

Despite the department of Home Affairs overseeing this process and being responsible for borders, immigration and helping coordinate biosecurity, officers present allowed the arrivals to leave the ship, despite NSW health trying to resolve concerns about infections on the ship. Now both sides, the NSW government and the Federal government have done a degree of finger pointing, but the fact remains an absurd situation was allowed to unfold and given the degree of federal intervention preceding the fiasco, over plane and cruise ship arrivals, the whole thing stinks.
It now looks like NSW asked the questions and were assured by the company (Carnival/Princess) that all was well.
NSW police looking at an investigation to see whether bio-security laws were broken.

At a news conference, New South Wales Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there were "many unanswered questions" about the incident.

He said that, by law, vessels were only allowed to dock and disembark passengers if the captain could assure the local authorities that their ship was free from contagious disease.

Mr Fuller said there were "discrepancies" involving the information provided by the ship's owners, Carnival Australia, and the requirements of the law.

It also looks as if passengers were just allowed to get off with the company not giving any advice or information. Basically 'off you go, nothing wrong, nothing to see here'.

Elisa McCafferty, an Australian woman who flew home to London with her husband immediately after disembarking, told the BBC: "Nothing was said at any time about anyone being sick onboard. It was a distinct lack of information coming through from Princess [Princess Cruises which is owned by Carnival] the entire time."

So no conspiracy, just company greed. If there is a conspiracy I'd be looking at what the company knew. Having already had the Diamond Princess lockdown and other cruise ships being denied port everywhere, it looks like they just wanted everybody off, and damn the consequences.

Look at this kent from the WAPOL Facebook page.

Screenshot_20200405-175019_Facebook.jpg

Deport this prick back to Victoria and let them deal with him

I believe* that due to the large number of different strains of the virus, they have to try and predict the most likely strains to be prevalent in winter, usually looking at Northern Hemisphere data in the months leading up to flu season. That allows them time to get a trivalent or quadrivalent vaccine prepared to protect from three or four predicted strains. But that doesn't always match what we get when the season comes around.

People also still get the flu, often a milder form, despite the vaccine. It's just a notoriously tricky virus to predict and protect against, and unfortunately also gives some people who are prone to anti-vaxx beliefs the idea that other vaccines are similar- not always effective and sometimes dangerous. But the standard vaccines that are recommended in children to protect from mumps, measles, rubella etc. are all outstandingly effective, relative to the flu shot. Which is why we don't have to keep getting them every year.

I think if people keep up the handwashing and overall hygiene habits that would probably help the flu season remarkably. But I don't think that will happen.

*Not an expert

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I believe* that due to the large number of different strains of the virus, they have to try and predict the most likely strains to be prevalent in winter, usually looking at Northern Hemisphere data in the months leading up to flu season. That allows them time to get a trivalent or quadrivalent vaccine prepared to protect from three or four predicted strains. But that doesn't always match what we get when the season comes around.

People also still get the flu, often a milder form, despite the vaccine. It's just a notoriously tricky virus to predict and protect against, and unfortunately also gives some people who are prone to anti-vaxx beliefs the idea that other vaccines are similar- not always effective and sometimes dangerous. But the standard vaccines that are recommended in children to protect from mumps, measles, rubella etc. are all outstandingly effective, relative to the flu shot. Which is why we don't have to keep getting them every year.

I think if people keep up the handwashing and overall hygiene habits that would probably help the flu season remarkably. But I don't think that will happen.
In spite of all of that, it is still worth having the shot.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
The flu shot is pretty unreliable
Flu vaccines usually work fine if you come into contact with one of the flu's you are vaccinated against. Some vaccines don't cover too many strains of flu, make sure you get the one with the widest coverage, although i believe there is the odd strain that is resistant to vaccines. Still better off having it than not.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Flu vaccines usually work fine if you come into contact with one of the flu's you are vaccinated against. Some vaccines don't cover too many strains of flu, make sure you get the one with the widest coverage, although i believe there is the odd strain that is resistant to vaccines. Still better off having it than not.
In terms of risk/reward it's a no-brainer. Take it, and you cover yourself to some degree. Don't take it, and have no coverage. It's a bit like travel insurance.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
In terms of risk/reward it's a no-brainer. Take it, and you cover yourself to some degree. Don't take it, and have no coverage. It's a bit like travel insurance.
Can't wait for the next time I have to whinge about paying travel insurance.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The US currently has 311k cases
New York alone has 114k cases

Next best country is Spain on 126k

New York is the new epicentre for this. With hindsight the comments from the mayor and others to go out and enjoy themselves seems almost criminal given the predicament they are now in. Their arrogance in dismissing this as just a mild cold or flu has come back to haunt them big time.
Him, the orange thing and bolsonaro are going to hate their pages in the history books.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

*Not an expert
If idiots stop being tough and going to work when they are ill will make a huge difference

a full time workforce with sick days will also help

i feel that after this if you rock up to work with a sniffle it wont be looked at the same way now ....

If idiots stop being tough and going to work when they are ill will make a huge difference

a full time workforce with sick days will also help

i feel that after this if you rock up to work with a sniffle it wont be looked at the same way now ....
It's not always toughness, sometimes you just need to work when you're living hand to mouth on a casual roster. Don't show up a few times and see how quickly you get dropped off the roster in some industries.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
It's not always toughness, sometimes you just need to work when you're living hand to mouth on a casual roster. Don't show up a few times and see how quickly you get dropped off the roster in some industries.
I did mention that ft work with sickdays will help

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

Pretty well spot on. From the NHS...

It will not stop all flu viruses and the level of protection may vary, so it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll be flu-free.
But if you do get flu after vaccination, it's likely to be milder and shorter-lived than it would otherwise have been.
Over time, protection from the injected flu vaccine gradually decreases, and flu strains often change.
New flu vaccines are produced each year, which is why people advised to have the flu vaccine need it every year, too.
Each year, the viruses that are most likely to cause flu are identified in advance and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends which type of flu virus strains to include in the vaccine.

Let's hope that when we get a C-19 vaccine it is a one time, long term effective one such as the MMR rather than a keeps mutating new vaccine every year job.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

It will not stop all flu viruses and the level of protection may vary, so it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll be flu-free.
But if you do get flu after vaccination, it's likely to be milder and shorter-lived than it would otherwise have been.
Over time, protection from the injected flu vaccine gradually decreases, and flu strains often change.
New flu vaccines are produced each year, which is why people advised to have the flu vaccine need it every year, too.
Each year, the viruses that are most likely to cause flu are identified in advance and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends which type of flu virus strains to include in the vaccine.

Let's hope that when we get a C-19 vaccine it is a one time, long term effective one such as the MMR rather than a keeps mutating new vaccine every year job.
Been doing a fair amount of reading about mutating - heres the good news :

most viruses that cross species are at their most deadly right then.

a virus that kills a host isnt actually all that successful - to be a really successful virus its best to ensure you get passed from host to host to host - its harder to do that if you kill your host. So most mutate into something a lot less dangerous.... most..... the asymptomatic aspect of this virus may preclude a need to mutate in that manner however.

I don't know enough about it, I wonder what our success rate is with other coronavirus types w.r.t a vaccine?

I don't know enough about it, I wonder what our success rate is with other coronavirus types w.r.t a vaccine?

SARS - vaccine worked on, trialled, abandoned when it burned itself out
MERS - no vaccine, burned itself out
H1N1 (swine flu) - vaccine, successful, 9 months from outbreak to mass production
H5N1 (bird flu) - several vaccines, successful, took a couple of years

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Not good. For the two closely related Coronaviruses, MERS and SARS, there is no vaccine available or completed.

But then again, they weren't as widespread so didn't get the vaccine community working hard the way this one has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back