Could Elliott win two awards and not really deserve either?

Could Elliott win two awards without deserving it?

• Mark was there

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Goal was retribution for 1970

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Both justified

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • It's daylight robbery if he wins both

Votes: 88 64.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Goal was just like eddie betts last year vs Gold Coast, expect it was out of bounds.

Eddie didn't win neither will elliot

Neither will probably end up Elliots best for the year let alone the competitions.
It was probably as much a mark as Abblett's all those years ago and a couple of cappers were probably free kicks but who really cares. I'd rather err on the side of paying the marks than the other way around. Running out of bounce should be picked up though - although I don't really want to stop for video. Dale Thomas kicked a very similar one a few years back that wasn't out but was paid out. They get 'em wrong sometimes.

The mark was there. If you watch in slow-mo you can see he takes it cleanly, then re-adjusts his grip for landing (tried to hold it to his chest with one arm) which caused it to spill

It wasn't a mark and it wasn't a goal but when Collingwood benefits, who cares?

That's simply "maximising revenue" so it's all good. I've been told we all benefit in such an outcome so "go Pies"!!!!

That's simply "maximising revenue" so it's all good. I've been told we all benefit in such an outcome so "go Pies"!!!!

Correct but if it happened against Collingwood you know what you'd be hearing Eddie whinge and moan about for the next week.

Correct but if it happened against Collingwood you know what you'd be hearing Eddie whinge and moan about for the next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mark was there. If you watch in slow-mo you can see he takes it cleanly, then re-adjusts his grip for landing (tried to hold it to his chest with one arm) which caused it to spill
Never had full control. If he had it, he wouldn't need to adjust his grip as if it bobbles out on impact with the ground It would still be paid.

Howe will win MOTY again, he'll decide when he wants to take that hang.
I haven't seen a more spectacular and consistent hanger than Howe.

Never had full control. If he had it, he wouldn't need to adjust his grip as if it bobbles out on impact with the ground It would still be paid.

Apart from that fact that he was 8ft in the air and didn't want to bust his head on landing

Doesn't deserve MOTY as he didn't control it. The umpire's stuff up benefited him.

RE: GOTY, he still kicked the goal and it is harder to kick a goal from outside the field of play than in, so the fact that he umpire called the ball inside the boundary when it looks a few inches out on replay benefited him in that he was allowed to kick for goal. I'd much rather a contentious GOTY contender be from a shot that is touch and go in the field of play when kicked and sailing through than have a ball punched on the line or hit the post etc. and be counted as a goal.

A solid point raised on AFL 360 last night - Why was there no review of Elliott's goal re: boundary line?

If we are going upstairs for everything else why not that?

Back