Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

dunno, what will it look like in may, is there a point where you play around the f’ed situation as its as s**t as it can be

I don’t think there is a point you’d play around it.

Hard to know what these stricter measures will do, certainly it should flatten the curve but I reckon they are probably too late to avoid some serious chaos now.

May is very optimistic I reckon. July/August maybe, but a lot will have to go right... still quite doubtful.

Hopefully though. I was looking forward to the footy...

I don’t think there is a point you’d play around it.

Hard to know what these stricter measures will do, certainly it should flatten the curve but I reckon they are probably too late to avoid some serious chaos now.

May is very optimistic I reckon. July/August maybe, but a lot will have to go right... still quite doubtful.

I presume at some point before december 31 we could play sports, unless that doesnt happen, and surely if its that bad we are all living mad max style, then it will finish this year

it will be some cluster * finish but a finish none the less

2018 data, the most recent I have available. A sobering reminder that most clubs in the league will be bankrupted this year without an immense bailout, and we are not in a strong position (our net assets are around 2.2 now)

1584857376419.png

Ok how much is Gil paying you

nothing at all, but no interest is above self interest :p

he has a lot of pressure on him, don't agree with the afl action much, but its easy to say should not have played, I also know you had that view all along,

clubs could fold

our club would be one of the first, we might not survive past the year, so yeah its just footy, but its a big call he had to make

nothing at all, but no interest is above self interest :p

he has a lot of pressure on him, don't agree with the afl action much, but its easy to say should not have played, I also know you had that view all along,

clubs could fold

our club would be one of the first, we might not survive past the year, so yeah its just footy, but its a big call he had to make

Yes but he's had to make the big call anyway. And it was very obvious he would have to make that big call. So why prolong the inevitable.

Yes but he's had to make the big call anyway. And it was very obvious he would have to make that big call. So why prolong the inevitable.

because of the hope you could prolong it, he acknowledged football would pause at some stage and to get something away

did it hurt anyone? just my luck someone got the virus as i post this

all i am saying is i dont actually know if i were Gil what I would do with the pressure from stakeholders of all types on me

2018 data, the most recent I have available. A sobering reminder that most clubs in the league will be bankrupted this year without an immense bailout, and we are not in a strong position (our net assets are around 2.2 now)

View attachment 844880
There will be bail outs from the AFL to clubs, assistance from government possibly, the league and/or the clubs will need to borrow money and go into debt this year and pay it off over the next decade. It will be a major financial drag for some time, but no club is going to disappear because of this.

because of the hope you could prolong it, he acknowledged football would pause at some stage and to get something away

all i am saying is i dont actually know if i were Gil what I would do with the pressure from stakeholders of all types on me
Agreed. The AFL approach is totally understandable. They knew at some point there was going to be a break and so dropped the expectation of season length by 25%. They got one round in before the anticipated pause, where they would have hoped for a few more. They were doing what they could to have a legitimate season played this year to ensure that there was at least some revenue coming. It may be that that won't end up being possible, but it won't be because they didn't try.

Mate, chill it down... calls had to be made, and you are not in any position to be aware of all the factors that needed to be taken into consideration.

Stop dumping blame on people and be part of the solution...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he's not paying you. Does he have incriminating photos of you or something then?

In all seriousness he and the AFL were arrogant enough to think they could jiggle around the fixture and treat the players like royalty at airports and things would be fine for now. One look at the rising cases in Australia would've made it abundantly clear, even for the stakeholders, that it wasn't gonna last long at all. Matthew Kreuzer just suffered a potentially career-ending injury because of the stupidity of cranking out a game that will now be absolutely void of meaning.

Ok how much is Gil paying you

Most likely it's a contractual decision. Similar to the F1, whoever 'cancels' the event, triggers clauses in the contracts for penalties.

Maybe he's not paying you. Does he have incriminating photos of you or something then?

In all seriousness he and the AFL were arrogant enough to think they could jiggle around the fixture and treat the players like royalty at airports and things would be fine for now. One look at the rising cases in Australia would've made it abundantly clear, even for the stakeholders, that it wasn't gonna last long at all. Matthew Kreuzer just suffered a potentially career-ending injury because of the stupidity of cranking out a game that will now be absolutely void of meaning.
Arrogant?

The AFL had an obligation to do their best to find a way to get a season played this year.

They made a bunch of compromises about season length, game length, potentially accelerating the fixture with more than one game a week, in order to make that possible despite the virus crisis. They knew there was going to be a break at some point as anti-virus measures strengthened, it was factored in to the plan.

We don't yet know if that attempt is a failure. Maybe by the end of May things have become more controlled and the league can continue? I don't know, you don't know, so why prejudge?

You don't know yet that these Round 1 matches count for nothing.

Players do injuries in preseason games. Players do injuries at training. Players do injuries in games towards the end of the season when their team is mathematically out of contention. It happens. Blaming the AFL for Kreuzer's injury is unjustifiable.

like i said easy for you and I with no responsibility or financial stake in the game or for its employees to make the call

sorry disagreeing with you thinking it wasnt clear cut means he has something over me, good discussion

if you want to spend the next ten pages telling it how pointless it was and stupid go for it

you of course didn't watch yesterday out of protest?

Another announcement in half an hour. They’re expected to announce that even in the event that the AFL goes bankrupt and the clubs return under a different administration and with different club names, Buddy’s contract will still count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 844880

Our 2019 Annual Report is available here for those that want to have a look. This will wipe us out

Page 22 of the Report could be tricky moving forward.

Last edited:
Have just spent the last 15 minutes yelling at my 89 year old father who planned to toddle off to bowls tomorrow :mad::bomb:
Thank Christ they'll have closed the bowling club by then after tonights announcement but the fact he even considered it. The fact bowls was still ******* on! Bloody hell!

After going for over 100 years, 2 world wars, economic booms and falls this is how AFL ends.

Not with a band, but a cough

Creative destruction Millky. Joseph Schumpeter was right all along

Remove this Banner Ad

Back