Resource COVID19 V - The Info Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest question I have is how long this weird obsession alot of people seem to still have with case numbers will continue

If you're sick stay home, otherwise carry on. Time to move on surely
exactly, case numbers mean sweet * all when icu numbers is the biggest concern. one icu bed for covid equates to one less bed for a heart attack, stroke, coma, etc

the sooner we move away from this case number reporting the better.

So apparently overall hospitalisations are currently at below pre-pandemic levels.

Good indication that they will be able to cope if there's an increase in covid hospitalisations over the next few weeks in line with the increase in case numbers (which I'm assuming is why people are looking at case numbers, they're a leading indicator for future hospitalisations/ICU/deaths).

17000 cases per day now after two years of separating families and lockdowns over one case. Laughable that anyone would try to find the logic in this.

Point to the ICU numbers now, don't mention long COVID later. Clearly the driving force behind COVID policy in WA is gross political opportunism.
Yeah, we're not doing that here.

Was going to reply properly, but you're the same muppet who didn't understand that there has been a vaccine rollout and Omicron is different to Wuhan/Delta from a few pages back.
Defending a move from lockdowns over one case per day to policies that will actively make more people sick, including some on this board. While still ignoring long term implications.

Throw the insult book at yourself. Families were separated for two years and businesses were ruined with staffing issues but wearing a mask now is too hard for the average joe.

I'm out of WA now thankfully but I will always find the logic leaps to be extraordinary, even in the Australian context. Plus there are still implications for family members in WA.

Biggest question I have is how long this weird obsession alot of people seem to still have with case numbers will continue

If you're sick stay home, otherwise carry on. Time to move on surely

There's a pretty good correlation between case numbers and hospitalizations if you factor in a weeks time lag, so I think calling it a weird obsession to discuss cases almost doubling is a bit much :p

There's a pretty good correlation between case numbers and hospitalizations if you factor in a weeks time lag, so I think calling it a weird obsession to discuss cases almost doubling is a bit much :p

And there seems to be a an ever better correlation between those obsessing over the daily case numbers and those calling for restrictions to be reintroduced :p

Its undoubtedly handy info for authorities to know, but if you're a regular Joe Blow still worrying about it I'm more than happy to call it a weird obsession

Yeah, personally I find it interesting to track the case numbers.
The problem has never been numbers. The problem has been what conclusions people jump to once they see them.

Anyone curious about hospitalisation or ICU numbers would surely have some interest in the case numbers, seeing as there is a pretty sound theory out there speculating that virtually no one gets ICU'd for Covid until they are actually infected with it.

And there seems to be a an ever better correlation between those obsessing over the daily case numbers and those calling for restrictions to be reintroduced :p

Its undoubtedly handy info for authorities to know, but if you're a regular Joe Blow still worrying about it I'm more than happy to call it a weird obsession

This is an info thread. Case numbers are info. Also I don't think a single person in this thread has called for restrictions to be reintroduced...we're all heartily sick of them.

Doesn't mean we can't analyze that lifting restrictions when we did is going to cost lives and undo a bit of the good work we did earlier with restrictions.

We're on a football forum where we are currently monitoring the performances of 16 and 17 year old boys.

Fair to say we all have a weird obsession.

Not obsessed, just a fan

Despite making up about 1% of the population, the unvaxxed make up one quarter of the hospitalisations.

I take issues with that stat because over 6% of the population is 0-4 years old.

Would be nice if they clarified what proportion of the quarter of unvaxxed hospitalizations were eligible for vaccination. Obviously they're still way over-represented regardless but it still annoys me :)

I take issues with that stat because over 6% of the population is 0-4 years old.

Would be nice if they clarified what proportion of the quarter of unvaxxed hospitalizations were eligible for vaccination. Obviously they're still way over-represented regardless but it still annoys me :)

How many of those in hospital would be 0-4 years old though?

In any event mere semantics, it is well known that vaccination and boosters reduce your chances greatly of being hospitalised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay - Well it looks like my family and I have caught up with the rest of the world.
Whole household is now down with COVID.

A few observations FWIW;

Both Wife and I triple J'd
Kids one each thus far

I started to feel a bit off Thursday last week, Friday I was pretty crook but still at work as we had other people on leave. I work in a small team. (negative test)

Saturday same as Friday still negative. Sunday night/Monday morning I really got hit hard then thick double lines (RAT not Coke you fiends!) decided to show.

Tuesday and Wednesday - Whole body aches, very bad headaches, temp, VERY tired.

Today - Mild aches, pretty bad headaches and still very tired but heading in the right direction.

For me, it's been like one of the worst flus I've had that lasts 50% longer plus a thumping headache.

Wife has had similar symptoms with a bit less severity.

8yr old girl had a very high temp (mid 39's) for one day, mid 38's for the next. Now basically back to normal.

5yr old boy was off for one day and now back to normal...which is bloody hard to deal with when you're still pretty buggered, locked inside and trying to work from home. Lol.

Sore throat for all plus that very annoying cough. (some mild asthma issues for me too)
Foggy brain

Sounds rough. Hope you and the family continue to get better.

From friends and family who've had it, the symptoms sound similar. Sore throat and headache at first and then the fatigue and brain fog really sets in. Seems like the fatigue and brain fog takes a while to shrug off too.
Should be a fairly smooth transition for me, really.

Okay - Well it looks like my family and I have caught up with the rest of the world.
Whole household is now down with COVID.

A few observations FWIW;

Both Wife and I triple J'd
Kids one each thus far

I started to feel a bit off Thursday last week, Friday I was pretty crook but still at work as we had other people on leave. I work in a small team. (negative test)

Saturday same as Friday still negative. Sunday night/Monday morning I really got hit hard then thick double lines (RAT not Coke you fiends!) decided to show.

Tuesday and Wednesday - Whole body aches, very bad headaches, temp, VERY tired.

Today - Mild aches, pretty bad headaches and still very tired but heading in the right direction.

For me, it's been like one of the worst flus I've had that lasts 50% longer plus a thumping headache.

Wife has had similar symptoms with a bit less severity.

8yr old girl had a very high temp (mid 39's) for one day, mid 38's for the next. Now basically back to normal.

5yr old boy was off for one day and now back to normal...which is bloody hard to deal with when you're still pretty buggered, locked inside and trying to work from home. Lol.

Sore throat for all plus that very annoying cough. (some mild asthma issues for me too)
Foggy brain
Glad to hear you are on the mend - sounds like you got it a bit worse than my household.

I've been back out of iso for a week and a bit now - still not 100% but not too bad. Mostly lack of energy and still slight lingering cough.

I've jumped on the bandwagon too. Mrs had first symptoms Friday, positive RAT saturday.

I had symptoms starting Sunday night, getting stronger each day, but negative RAT every morning until today.
Feeling very drained and a bit fevery, but not much actual pain at all. Yet. I assume tomorrow will be worse.

1652338347538.png

I've jumped on the bandwagon too. Mrs had first symptoms Friday, positive RAT saturday.

I had symptoms starting Sunday night, getting stronger each day, but negative RAT every morning until today.
Feeling very drained and a bit fevery, but not much actual pain at all. Yet. I assume tomorrow will be worse.

View attachment 1398274
I felt worse before I tested positive than after, for what it's worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back