Crows Chat That 'Doesnt Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread part 2

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Barely better than MyATM?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

MyATM probably didn't have the $700 million for the Staples Centre naming rights.

The MyATM equivilant might be closer to we're sponsored by some new crypto token or NFT project launching later, and we'll get paid if it works.

Let's see which one it's closer to I guess.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
MyATM probably didn't have the $700 million for the Staples Centre naming rights.

The MyATM equivilant might be closer to we're sponsored by some new crypto token or NFT project launching later, and we'll get paid if it works.

Yeah I thought they were just another crypto start up using leverage to spend on marketing in AFL to get their name out and suck people in.

Seems a bit more legit.

Yeah I thought they were just another crypto start up using leverage to spend on marketing in AFL to get their name out and suck people in.

Seems a bit more legit.

Any crypto sponsorship you'd want to be paid upfront in full in cash

I'd be highly skeptical of these companies offering long-term deals. If they go bust or lose a ton of money (very real risk with how volatile crypto is) we could be burned hard.

We'd also have to cop a bit of ridicule and embarrassment for tarnishing our brand in association with them but maybe it's worth the money?

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'd be highly skeptical of these companies offering long-term deals. If they go bust or lose a ton of money (very real risk with how volatile crypto is) we could be burned hard.

We'd also have to cop a bit of ridicule and embarrassment for tarnishing our brand in association with them but maybe it's worth the money?
Exactly what I was alluding to previously.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Also, this random Crypto mob won't be a major sponsor of ours. They'll probably be on one of the lower tiers sponsor wise. If they fall over, as long as we get paid upfront it won't be an issue.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide

Wait, aren’t you early 30s or something? I thought you would be a bit more progressive with crypto, your attitude belongs in 2012. The main board thread has been a very funny read.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crypto.com is just as likely to fall over as any major bank, it is hilarious reading some of these extremely misinformed posts. The Staples Center signed a 20 year deal with them, they have cash to burn and are sponsoring anything big in sport. Their major money is made from trading fees and taking profits from their exchange coin and it’s not like they’re then using this money to buy crypto. The lack of understanding about how these exchanges work is frightening. When I get home I’ll post a few links in here to help a few of you understand crypto better.

Last edited:
Wait, aren’t you early 30s or something? I thought you would be a bit more progressive with crypto, your attitude belongs in 2012. The main board thread has been a very funny read.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of crypto (I think its realistic use cases are fewer than advertised) but I wouldn't say I'm a hater either. I try and keep an open mind.

However when it comes to Crypto.com there are two concerns for me:

1. They've just been hacked. Like literally in the last few days. Announcing a sponsorship around this time will see us associated with a service that is perceived as dodgy, unreliable or low quality

2. They make money via transactions like any crypto exchange, however that money will only come in if people are willing to participate in the crypto market. Are they sponsoring a whole bunch of stuff now because they have just made bank over the crypto boom in the last year? What are their plans for a period of cooling and reduced crypto trading? This is why I'd want a full upfront payment in cash. Will they pull out of sports sponsorships as soon as the market turns red?

Then for other crypto businesses the amount of absolute garbage scam-level horse s**t is insane, there are so many illegitimate and dodgy services that I hope we do our homework. And stay out of NFTs which have no functional purpose whatsoever

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also, this random Crypto mob won't be a major sponsor of ours. They'll probably be on one of the lower tiers sponsor wise. If they fall over, as long as we get paid upfront it won't be an issue.

They're hardly a "random crypto mob", considering they are in partnership with many major companies and sporting organisations.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
They're hardly a "random crypto mob", considering they are in partnership with many major companies and sporting organisations.
Isn't this a circular argument though?

What came first - the business model or the respectability through sponsorship etc?

Listened to a podcast about someone using the same model

IE they are just brokers - but the entry and exit fees are skewed heavily towards the company. And I mean heavily skewed

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Crypto.com is just as likely to fall over as any major bank, it is hilarious reading some of these extremely misinformed posts. The Staples Center signed a 20 year deal with them, they have cash to burn and are sponsoring anything big in sport. Their major money is made from trading fees and taking profits from their exchange coin and it’s not like they’re then using this money to buy crypto. The lack of understanding about how these exchanges work is frightening. When I get home I’ll post a few links in here to help a few of you understand crypto better.

A 20 year deal is worthless if Staples Center management have to find a new naming rights sponsor in 3-5 years because this mob have gone broke and haven't paid the bill for the naming rights.

A 20 year deal is worthless if Staples Center management have to find a new naming rights sponsor in 3-5 years because this mob have gone broke and haven't paid the bill for the naming rights.
I wouldn't say it's a given they will go broke, in fact they probably won't. But there is certainly a higher risk than a traditional bank or established business

Back