Dan Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Such obsession, don’t ruin the thread.

No need, Menzel is overrated by all and sundry

I think this thread pops up around this time every year going on about Menz and his early season form. The trouble is as the season goes on he gets less mobile and jumps not quite as high as his body just isn't up to the full season. Hence why he got dropped (rightly or wrongly) for the QF last season.

In complete awe about what he has been able to achieve but it's not without it's negatives.

Sums it up best!

Bigfooty has a thing with tall poppy syndrome. Its only a matter of time before some opposition supporter claims the praise for any other club/player is a "circle jerk" or unwarrented. Then bring up irrelevant stats to support their claim.
So that's why cats fans have been hating on Richmond so much. They're into the tall poppy thing.

On menzel, I'm surprised a team lacking forward firepower like Brisbane, gc, saints, freo didn't go for him. Surely they'd have worse players on better contracts

So that's why cats fans have been hating on Richmond so much. They're into the tall poppy thing.

On menzel, I'm surprised a team lacking forward firepower like Brisbane, gc, saints, freo didn't go for him. Surely they'd have worse players on better contracts

But only Freo would have the quality elsewhere on the field to make use of him.

Absolutely, every supporter base have people that fall into this category, Cats fans included.

Yeah, send him to Freo, let Ross coach that flair out of him.

It depends.

When he's 'on' he's a match winner; match winners are valuable in the AFL.

The knock-on effects from his lack of defensive efforts are a bit harder to quantify; it's certainly not ideal.
I think he naturally gets some leeway from Geelong fans (and maybe some opposition fans) because he has overcome a fair bit of sporting adversity and produces some very watchable footy.

Pretty fair summary. We saw similar last year with Priddis/Mitchell in the midfield and the effect in transition of players in their position.

I think it's fair enough that Menzel gets a bit of leeway given his injury history, but I also don't think talented as he is he'll ever be a more rounded player or a 60+ goalkicker like Betts or LeCras, Milne etc. For a match winner he has only polled Brownlow votes once in 64 games. I hope he is able to get that tally up to 100-150 games as he's good to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling that he plays each game as if it is his last.

If we're being realistic, it is the situation he finds himself in. A fifth reconstruction would all but end his career.

I get the feeling that he plays each game as if it is his last.

If we're being realistic, it is the situation he finds himself in. A fifth reconstruction would all but end his career.

Lol why? He would just be out for another year. Then come back age 27

I think I read somewhere that there's not much natural tissue left in the knee that has been repaired 3 times so it's structurally stronger than a normal human knee?

I could be completely off the mark though.

He has had 3 reco's on his left if I recall, and 1 on the right, or is it the other way around?

Was he ever touted as being a player of that calibre prior to his injuries... you know, given he was drafted as a rebounding defender?

Glad he has got over his injuries and playing good footy, but let's minimise the fake news...

This is guy who when he was a youngling beat Dane Swan on the boundry in a one on one contest. He was a gun when he was younger and not crippled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back