News Dane Swan: "I'm a business, man"

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an interview with Swanny in today's Spectrum section of the Age newspaper

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...-not-as-bad-as-you-think-20161212-gt9doj.html

A really enjoyable read.
As we all know there is so much more to the man than football.
He reveals his love of fine and exotic food, fine wine, and his love of musicals, his favourite being Mary Poppins.

One of the things I found interesting to read about was his attitude to the game.
Here are a few excerpts

"I made a decision reasonably early on: Do I want to get the best out of my career, or do I want to sacrifice a bit out of my career and get the best out of my life? I chose to get the most out of my life," he says.

Swan's career achievements are substantial – Brownlow, premiership medal, club best and fairest (three times), All Australian (five times on the trot) – but some people will inevitably wonder what he might have achieved if he'd chosen to couple his natural ability with a stronger work ethic, a more committed approach to looking after his body. To them, he has a simple message: don't waste your energy.

"Who knows whether I sacrificed being better than I was? No one can ever know, but those breaks – going out when I shouldn't have, eating burgers instead of salads – mentally, that helped me. I needed to get away from footy."

At any rate, if he had taken that route, "I could have been worse. If I'd stuck to the rules and did everything right and trained my arse off and didn't go away on the end-of-season trips but stayed and trained and got fit, I could have burned out five years ago. I could have thought it's getting to me, I'm run down, I've f---ing had enough. My body might have been cooked."

"I love footy and I would have played it for free if I wasn't good enough to play AFL," he says. "But it wasn't my whole life. It came third, after my family and friends."

These statements raise a few questions:
Do we expect too much from these young men, many still boys, when they join a football club?
Does the regimen put too much pressure on them?
There certainly been a few that have decided to go home 'for personal reasons' etc
Is the required attitude too intense, too focused just on footy?

Swanny was a maverick and got away with a lot that others wouldn't. Does this in itself build some kind of resentment, or jealously, or tension amongst teammates?

Food for thought.

ps I hope the link works

Every workplace needs mavericks like Swanny.

Serious when he needed to be but did not become overly-earnest to appease the corporatist suckholes.
I remember Ed saying at the time of Dane's retirement that ironically he was always the favourite of the corporates at events

I remember Ed saying at the time of Dane's retirement that ironically he was always the favourite of the corporates at events

At the end of the day Football only exists as entertainment.

So sick of Footballers personality's being eroded away by "media training" and getting robotic generic interviews.

Swan was always himself which is why he developed such a big following.

As much as I love Pendles on-field, off-field he is as boring as they come. If every player becomes like that the game loses so much entertainment and flavour

I still suspect that Dane Swan trained much harder and more professionally than he likes to admit (even to himself).

Though, he still enjoyed himself, which was to his liking, always on field he was a total pro.

Great player, great charachter, great fun, great demonstration of having life beyond football.

Swanny is a hit at any function, in front of all club supporters.
Why?
Because he's a genuine guy, and lives his life like most of us would like to.
And by that I don't mean his recreational drug use. It's the don't give a faaaark about what others think, or how they want you to act.
He's been lucky because he has had an employment that could fund that attitude and a pretty good lifestyle. Those without that employment, but with that attitude, often end up trangressing laws with the consequences of those actions.

I have The Age and will read the article tomorrow. Swan is the last of a kind - a unique combination of character, laconic humour, self deference and class football. If he played the game in 2nd gear, then so be it, I am content with his output and achievements. Perhaps he not only sacrificed a little of his career for himself, but also the supporters who enjoyed his relaxed style and witty remarks. I wouldn't have had him any other way. He cost us little and became a club cult hero and idol.

EDIT: A good article. The food sounded delicious, the days and months ahead for Swannie are full of travel and self indulgence. I particularly liked:

'I don't think I'll struggle. I'm pretty comfortable doing f--- all."

He's in no hurry to crack on with his next phase of gainful employment. "I'm not stupid enough to think I'll never have to work again, but I'm going to take a good break and enjoy myself. I don't know what lies ahead for me, but whatever it is, I don't want to do it now.'

Last edited:
Loved the way Swannie went about his Footy, what he does in his personal life really is his business. He gave enough to the Collingwood FC, enjoy retirement without all the attention.

I still suspect that Dane Swan trained much harder and more professionally than he likes to admit (even to himself).
Though, he still enjoyed himself, which was to his liking, always on field he was a total pro.
Great player, great charachter, great fun, great demonstration of having life beyond football.
I always thought Swannie was a pretty well orchestrated, very marketable image.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It strikes me that one of his strengths is his emotional intelligence. He knows who he is and what is best for himself, and he is true to himself.
Pretty much spot on

In life, self awareness is a very valuable aspect to have.... eludes many

Swannie as the next president! (of the US? Of CFC? of the AFL?.....CEO of Fairfax then he could really tell Caro what he thinks);)

Swannie as the next president! (of the US? Of CFC? of the AFL?.....CEO of Fairfax then he could really tell Caro what he thinks);)
Rotary president?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back