Dane Swan - Where is his place in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think history won't be that kind to him.

In the same draft class as Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, Kelly, Steve Johnson, Mitchell, Montagna, Ablett and Lake. Fair list.

Fantastic player, but when you look at the list of players just in his position who have played from 2003 onwards he's up against some pretty stiff opposition.

I love him, though. Thought early days even when he became a regular at Collingwood he was a waddler who couldn't kick and would never amount to much but he just kept winning the ball and kept kicking goals and kept influencing games...

Would love to run into him by chance in a pub one day, we're about the same age and I reckon he'd be a ripper bloke to get on the gas with. Hope he stays around footy circles, too. Is always pretty honest when he speaks and should have a lot more freedom when he is free from club commitments.
I give you Hodge, Judd, Bartel, Mitchell and Ablett as being in the same conversation, you're having a lend with the rest.

Or has Judd's legacy been tarnished for his draft class, too?

I was sticking to on-field here.

did he seriously welsh on compensation payments? not cool.
Yes, he did. A quick internet search will reveal it.

I was quite happy to discuss his on-field brilliance, but so many posters here are using words like "top bloke", "larrikin", "character" to describe a convicted thug who reneged on the compensation payments he was ordered to make, that it was getting downright Orwellian.

Last edited:
Pendles is a Mercedes. Swanny was a Ford F150 pick up truck.
Both great, reliable, dependable machines.
Poor form Eddie.

Pendles is still a Rolls Royce. How could you forget that?

Swanny is the Mercedes S-class SUV.

On a serious note, I was watching his 2011 Brownlow speech, he got the record for the most Brownlow votes in history with 34, and it's also the record for the most votes in the one season by two teammates with 58. The next closest was 50 votes.

Pendles also had a big year and finished 6 votes short of second despite his teammate getting 34.

As good as rockliff is currently, ok player, definitely oversold.

Also have a hard time with all the gushing and back slapping considering his disgraceful past

See, the problem with this holier than thou attitude is that you need to have held everyone to this very same standard (including yourself) otherwise you are being a black pot.
I guess the County Court magistrate who found him guilty of affray was holier-than-thou too? I mean, let's call a spade a spade, that's my philosophy.

My second problem with comments like this is that you honesty believe that a human being has no chance to made good and repair their soul after an error.
I am a total believer in people's ability to come good, to search for and find a more decent path through life. For crying out loud, I'm Australian. We live in one of the most peaceful, democratic, law-abiding, corruption-free countries on earth, and yet we were founded as a convict colony, people by criminals; considered scum by most everyone else. So yes, people can always come good, and there is no better example anywhere than this great nation.

If there was a great epiphany for Dane Swan, where he acknowledged he'd been a violent thug and promised to turn over a new leaf, I missed it, but am happy to be corrected if so.
I look at Sydney players and wonder if they have done anything questionable and when they retire whether you will bring those questionable matters up.

In my opinion I doubt you would do that and that your post was merely a cheap attempt at attaining popularity by hating/besmirching Collingwood or simply you hate Collingwood and/or Dane Swan.

Either way, your post is a poorer reflection on you than on Dane or Collingwood.
Nup. Try to put club loyalty to the side. It's not the be all and end all of human decency. Many's the time I've condemned Barry Halls' thuggery on BF.

This is nothing to do with what club Swan played for, or what club I follow. I don't hate Collingwood at all; I do think your president is a bit of a jerk, but otherwise, I have nothing but admiration for your club. And I don't hate Dane Swan. I have always admired his footballing prowess, and have nothing against him as a human being. It's just sickeningly hypocritical for someone to describe a convicted thug and compensation-payment-welsher as a "top bloke" or a "larrikin", let alone morally equate that sort of behaviour with anything an all-round decent human like Adam Goodes has done, so I piped up. Nothing more to add to it except to say congratulations Dane Swan on a superb football career, and all the best for the future.

You nailed it. How many of the well-known footballers of yesteryear would even be on today's rooky lists because they weren't "athletes"? Leigh Matthews would likely be one. Murray Weideman another. Des Tuddenham. Dipper. Tony Lockett. Sergio Silvagni. Andew Jarman. And many more great footballers (not athletes) with football skills, football instincts and football nous.

Dane Swan was of that ilk. Not a basketball player. Not a marathon runner. But a champion footballer. Let's get some more.
Beg to differ. Yes he was a natural player but one of his best attributes was his gut running ability and his strength and speed off the mark. These are athletic attributes. His ability to go and go again when rivals were gasping was second to none.
Great player but I would never argue he was in the judd/Ablett class. And there is no shame being in the next echelon of players after them.
I rate him top 10 of pies players I have seen behind Buckley, Pendlebury, Daicos, Brown at least.
Bloke has matured too. His big offence happened more than 10 years ago.
Well played Swanny.

I guess the County Court magistrate who found him guilty of affray was holier-than-thou too? I mean, let's call a spade a spade, that's my philosophy.

I am a total believer in people's ability to come good, to search for and find a more decent path through life. For crying out loud, I'm Australian. We live in one of the most peaceful, democratic, law-abiding, corruption-free countries on earth, and yet we were founded as a convict colony, people by criminals; considered scum by most everyone else. So yes, people can always come good, and there is no better example anywhere than this great nation.

If there was a great epiphany for Dane Swan, where he acknowledged he'd been a violent thug and promised to turn over a new leaf, I missed it, but am happy to be corrected if so.

Nup. Try to put club loyalty to the side. It's not the be all and end all of human decency. Many's the time I've condemned Barry Halls' thuggery on BF.

This is nothing to do with what club Swan played for, or what club I follow. I don't hate Collingwood at all; I do think your president is a bit of a jerk, but otherwise, I have nothing but admiration for your club. And I don't hate Dane Swan. I have always admired his footballing prowess, and have nothing against him as a human being. It's just sickeningly hypocritical for someone to describe a convicted thug and compensation-payment-welsher as a "top bloke" or a "larrikin", let alone morally equate that sort of behaviour with anything an all-round decent human like Adam Goodes has done, so I piped up. Nothing more to add to it except to say congratulations Dane Swan on a superb football career, and all the best for the future.
GAS and Carey aren't allowed to be two of the greatest players because of their off field issues, Kobe Bryant is the same, Mike Tyson too. The list goes on.

This thread is in the AFL Main board which discusses players on field and footballing achievements.

My suggestion, if you have an issue with Swan's off field past, take it to the applicable board and discuss it with your mates there.

As for here, if you've got anything to add regarding his achievements on a football field, I'd suggest you piss off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAS and Carey aren't allowed to be two of the greatest players because of their off field issues, Kobe Bryant is the same, Mike Tyson too. The list goes on.

This thread is in the AFL Main board which discusses players on field and footballing achievements.

My suggestion, if you have an issue with Swan's off field past, take it to the applicable board and discuss it with your mates there.

As for here, if you've got anything to add regarding his achievements on a football field, I'd suggest you piss off.
It was you that raised it in your OP pal.

You're all class.

Last edited:
In what form should this have taken place? For me, a lack of repeat offending is sufficient.
I think failing to make the compensation payment hardly screamed to the world "I have changed".

As far as I know, he then set it right, and yes, we should all let him move on.

Just to say once more, and then I'm out of here - my issue was not with Dane Swan. My issue was with people here calling someone who bashed a man to the point of brain damage a "top bloke" and "a bit of a character" which is disgustingly euphemistic, to say the least.

Poor form Eddie.

Pendles is still a Rolls Royce. How could you forget that?

Swanny is the Mercedes S-class SUV.

On a serious note, I was watching his 2011 Brownlow speech, he got the record for the most Brownlow votes in history with 34, and it's also the record for the most votes in the one season by two teammates with 58. The next closest was 50 votes.

Pendles also had a big year and finished 6 votes short of second despite his teammate getting 34.

Sorry dude, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet :)

Absolute gun who is only behind Judd and GAJ in his generation over their careers. In fact during 2010 & 2011 he was considered better and the best player in the competition.

Oh....not by me but the players (MVP), the coaches (AFLCA) and the umpires (Brownlow). I might go with their opinions rather than some nuffy on the internet putting up players not even the best players at their club, let alone in a conversation about the elite of the competition.

To this point, he is the 53rd best player I have seen play the game. Since 1980.

Whom are the other 52 ?
Paul Kelly, Nick Winmar, John Platten, Nigel Lappin, Brad Johnson, Ricciitto, Greg Williams, Tuck, Bartel, Watson, Kouta, Nathan Brown, Brent Harvey, Sam Mitchell, Weightman, McLeod, Rob Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Gary Ablett, Voss, Judd, Crwaford, Tird etc. etc. Be curious your best 50 mids in that time. Think he scrapes into top 50 but not top 40.

Yes, he did. A quick internet search will reveal it.

I was quite happy to discuss his on-field brilliance, but so many posters here are using words like "top bloke", "larrikin", "character" to describe a convicted thug who reneged on the compensation payments he was ordered to make, that it was getting downright Orwellian.

I will tell you now that this is not true, he payed his payments on time it was one of the others that didn't media got it wrong. He did not lay a punch in that fight but it costs him heaps due to who he was. I hope he tells the real story so people like you shut the up. The media get it wrong sometimes. I know the true story. He has paid for this so many times over and even has spoken to young people about turning away.

I'll never forget him for bashing an innocent cleaner.
He didn't bash the cleaner never laid a punch the guy he was with was attacked by the cleaner and he fought the cleaner. Dane did nothing but has paid big time from people like you who believe what you read.

One aspect of Swan apart from his footballing ability that was massively overrated was his humour. I don't think he is funny at all, and his live tweeting during games proves this, does seem like a good bloke though. One thing I believe counts against him was he was very poor in the 3 Grand Finals he played in. Good player overall, i'd have him at about the Lenny Hayes level, probably just below. Enjoy retirement.
You don't know what you are talking about he played ok in those finals Malthouse even spoke of him stopping Goddard in the 2010 replay. He has won player of finals series several times.

He plead guilty to get it out of the courts so he could get on with career. I even heard his dad mention this on radio once to Robert Walls. He didn't even hit the cleaner and if you were in court you would have heard a witness testify to that. He has paid for this in money and reputation and has spoken to the youth of today about turning away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back