Darcy dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, not the good one, the disappointing, soft, inconsistent one of the Tucker variety. What to do with him...???

Where is his place, role or position in the squad? He's too good to be playing at Peel but he's not good enough to be playing league. He's not an inside mid, not an inside player full stop. He defends ok, but not well enough. Other players that aren't great themselves are being favoured on the wing and at half forward so where do we get the best out of him? What's the future hold? I doubt any club would give much at all for him in a trade so we're stuck with him and have to find a place for him.

No, not the good one, the disappointing, soft, inconsistent one of the Tucker variety. What to do with him...???

Where is his place, role or position in the squad? He's too good to be playing at Peel but he's not good enough to be playing league. He's not an inside mid, not an inside player full stop. He defends ok, but not well enough. Other players that aren't great themselves are being favoured on the wing and at half forward so where do we get the best out of him? What's the future hold? I doubt any club would give much at all for him in a trade so we're stuck with him and have to find a place for him.
His attack on the ball and poor disposable(prior years he was a reasonable kick but not anymore) is a worry given his age and games under his belt, think he is at best a B- grade player If we can trade him back to Vic do it and keep playing kids like Walker

He’s pretty vanilla. So much so that you’ve lured me here on the pretence this was going to be about Sean Darcy.

He needs to reinvent himself fast as I can’t see him being a regular in our midfield, especially if Mundy goes on next year and Cerra stays.

He’s pretty vanilla. So much so that you’ve lured me here on the pretence this was going to be about Sean Darcy.

He needs to reinvent himself fast as I can’t see him being a regular in our midfield, especially if Mundy goes on next year and Cerra stays.

Sadly, and worryingly, if Mundy retires and Cerra goes we might have to rely on him more.

When did his hammy fall off. His fitness would have been a long way off when the started playing again..
But yes。still seems very vanilla

He's tradebait. Slow decision maker, moves like he's walking in treacle, loses the ball in every tackle.

I think he needs to be at Peel until he gets his fitness / confidence back. He is a liability at the moment and we have better options - I would play Duman or Watson before him on current form and if Young is fit he is a no brainer. Even Walker looked better when he came on last night, not sure dropping him for Hughes after one game was smart in hindsight.

Not writing Tucker off, but the injured players should be rested and out of form players should go back to Peel to find form.

I agree that midfield would be better. But how much will it really help? In the first quarter he received a handpass from Darcy forward of centre on the wing, and still had zero awareness and got run down. His man was right behind him and I can't fathom why he would have no urgency to get rid of the ball. Until he addresses this, there will be issues no matter where he plays.

Still think he has value in the squad. I know it was a while ago now but it looked like he was taking that next step last season before the injury.

Agree that a shift out of defense might be beneficial. If we're still sitting in the same spot this time next year after (hopefully) a full pre-season then it's probably time to pull the pin.

Last edited:
He is a barometer of how good we are as a challenger each week. If the gets to lumber around the field kicking 15 m kicks across halfback, it means we don’t have depth and aren’t finals material. Imagine him trying to get a game at the Swans right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he needs to play as the forward who runs to occupy the attacking space behind our sweeping winger when the ball is deep inside our defensive fifty. You know that rubbish role where you run all day so that the defensive winger can offer an extra body in the backline and you serve as that outlet kick up the line or the body that allows the chip over the top to checker it's way up the field? But in most general play the ball will find it's way into the corridor for a turnover 20m in front of you and you're running back again, except when it's kicked straight over your head to a leading tall, outnumbered and you have to cover the space in front for the crumb when you've just lead away from there unmanned.

I think he needs a role where he puts in the hard running to make his space, he doesn't have the pace to create it in a telephone booth, but he can use the ball so we should be looking to use that higher up the ground.

I thought he was progressing well in the midfield until he got injured. Clearly there isn't a spot for him in his preferred position at the moment and a combination of him being behind the eight-ball with his fitness and trying to learn a new position is resulting in poor performances.
I wouldn't be trading him out just yet, at worst he's a decent depth player, certainly ahead of Blakely.

The primary issue with Darcy Tucker is that his first instinct is to fend off and attempt to give himself a moment more of space, instead of moving the ball onto the first option.

If he gave that handball then worked behind the team mate to overlap he might get more contribution to the side.

He plays like he has been injured for 3 seasons, never seen someone look so rusty for a run of games

Might seem like a pile-on but I’ve never rated his kicking. Has a high ball drop action that comes undone at times.
Not sure he has inside mid qualities either.

Some times a player just doesn’t fit well with a club/ game plan/ position and I reckon this is the case for the lesser Darcy.

Trade time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Prior to his injury last season he was going great in the midfield. Gut running, kicking goals etc.

Half back isn’t his spot and not sure how he is preferred over Conca.

Prior to his injury last season he was going great in the midfield. Gut running, kicking goals etc.

Half back isn’t his spot and not sure how he is preferred over Conca.

Was he though?

My memory isn't what it used to be but I can't remember too many dominant performances. In fact my only two positive memories of him from his career with us is the gut run to get on the end of a chain and then convert the goal, and his easy 30 odd disp game at Peel a few years ago.

I think he needs to play as the forward who runs to occupy the attacking space behind our sweeping winger when the ball is deep inside our defensive fifty. You know that rubbish role where you run all day so that the defensive winger can offer an extra body in the backline and you serve as that outlet kick up the line or the body that allows the chip over the top to checker it's way up the field? But in most general play the ball will find it's way into the corridor for a turnover 20m in front of you and you're running back again, except when it's kicked straight over your head to a leading tall, outnumbered and you have to cover the space in front for the crumb when you've just lead away from there unmanned.

I think he needs a role where he puts in the hard running to make his space, he doesn't have the pace to create it in a telephone booth, but he can use the ball so we should be looking to use that higher up the ground.
I had this exact thought this morning. He’s could provide good run and carry on the fat side of the ground but he’s not going to burst into space off half back and create something out of nothing like a Wilson or Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back