Are we OK with English home to Freo and Darcy home to Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate of mine raised the possibility yesterday, lose Darcy but gain English.
What do we think?
To my mind it's a close thing in terms of what they bring to the team.
If we got English he'd be for keeps.
If we retain Darcy, unless it's a 5+ year deal then we might lose him in 3.
Trouble is, at the moment, we need a dominant ruck in the middle otherwise we can't win clearance. English isn't a great ruck just good around the ground. Fix the issue with our inside mids requiring silver service and it could work, otherwise not really.

Mate of mine raised the possibility yesterday, lose Darcy but gain English.
What do we think?
To my mind it's a close thing in terms of what they bring to the team.
If we got English he'd be for keeps.
If we retain Darcy, unless it's a 5+ year deal then we might lose him in 3.
It’s a no from me

DocT is the Snitch 🤣
Punk Rock Clickbait GIF by Noise Nest Network

Last edited:
The only concern I have with Darcy is whether his injuries will get worse and he misses more games because of them. I would do it for structural integrity.

What signs has Darcy ever given that he wants to head back east? It's literally all completely media speculation due to him being from the Geelong area.

No. Darcy is a dominant ruckman and exactly what we need. English is kinda another (and long term worse) Jackson and we're struggling with having him as the main ruck.

What signs has Darcy ever given that he wants to head back east? It's literally all completely media speculation due to him being from the Geelong area.

No. Darcy is a dominant ruckman and exactly what we need. English is kinda another (and long term worse) Jackson and we're struggling with having him as the main ruck.
Great responses so far. I don't disagree but let's talk...

I don't think it's just media speculation. Have Geelong offered Big Sean a mill a year for 5 years? If so, would Freo be wise to come close to matching it????

This is kinda Apuchar's point: People are right about Darcy's tap work exceeding English's by a long way and our midfield needing that. BUT, our midfield is young. In another year or two we should be looking at a midfield in its prime for 3-5 years. Perhaps then they won't need to have the same tap supremacy to capitalise. Perhaps more ruck mobility will be a greater team asset in 2025-2028?

7 year extension? Grundyesque aromas?

Great responses so far. I don't disagree but let's talk...

I don't think it's just media speculation. Have Geelong offered Big Sean a mill a year for 5 years? If so, would Freo be wise to come close to matching it????
That's LITERALLY the Sumich generated media speculation. Verbatim!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely not, Darcy is one of, if not the best ruckman in the competition.

English won't even be half the player Darcy is, he's a good backup ruckman, but he's not good enough to be the top guy.
In fairness to English, he's actually been really good this season. He's had some really big games, believe me I know, it's been painful not owning this bloke in my Fantasy and SuperCoach teams.

I love the unmitigated bias on here sometimes. Do I think Darcy is better for what we need in our team? Yes. Do I think Darcy is a better actual ruckman? Sure, but English is a fantastic player in his own right and clearly has as much talent as Darcy and is as good a player even if he's more a tall midfielder than traditional ruck.

No for many reasons, Darcy is more important to us as a big body enforcer type, English too similar to Jackson, Darcy seems to be a leader (eg holding the bbq earlier in the season). The only time yes for me would be if we have to match an outrageous offer to keep him (like a Grundy type deal).

I love the unmitigated bias on here sometimes. Do I think Darcy is better for what we need in our team? Yes. Do I think Darcy is a better actual ruckman? Sure, but English is a fantastic player in his own right and clearly has as much talent as Darcy and is as good a player even if he's more a tall midfielder than traditional ruck.

I agree with this. And, think that with Jackson, Darcy is a better fit.

It should also be noted that English has been dedicated to building his body to play the role and play it well. He may not put more weight on, but, I think he will be pushed around less and less over the next few seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back