Dave Warner tea time incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how Merv Hughes would have gone with these new systems. I guess he was more in control of himself as a bowler in his aggro than Rabada. I am going to be annoyed losing a quality player from series for either side. Having the best play against each other is what I want to see. Sign of times I guess. Most of the aggro in past got sorted out between teams in their own way. Warne and the West Indies guy in Big Bash probably the worst I seen where it crossed a line beyond normal sledging I did not like to see. Miandad and Lillee back in the day was pretty bad but was more comical in the end than anything. Storm in teacup with Rabada shoulder bumping into Smith. Rabada just needs to reel in in a little. Nothing more.
Merv had some humour. Davey's just a bit of a dick.

For most of Hughes' career the sledging wasn't anything like it is today. It was there but rarely did you see the players nose to nose as happens on a regular basis now. Gower talks about how Border barely said two words to him for the entirety of the 1989 Ashes series.

Not sure how Rabada could avoid it, Lyon has no history of stuff like that and he got points for what he did, if Rabada had no history he would maybe be looking at a heavy fine and be very close to a ban but even the slightest infraction would see him banned and he gave multiple send offs in both innings and a shoulder bump on a dismissed player.

Not sure how Rabada could avoid it, Lyon has no history of stuff like that and he got points for what he did, if Rabada had no history he would maybe be looking at a heavy fine and be very close to a ban but even the slightest infraction would see him banned and he gave multiple send offs in both innings and a shoulder bump on a dismissed player.

On a slightly unrelated note, Lyon is starting to become somewhat less appealing for me. For most of his career he’s been a pretty low-lying character and rarely does anything but ply his trade. Of late I’ve noticed him debating not-out decisions with umpires reasonably incessantly (not to the point of dissent or anything), he pulls that stupid pose where the stays on one knee with his hand on his chin as though he suddenly became Shane Warne and ripped one past off stump from somewhere near short leg, the incident with the run out, and he went to great pains to try and point out that ‘we’ve got the best attack in the world in our dressing room’ in a presser the other day. The comment itself isn’t so much incendiary because a) they DO have a good attack even if it’s behind SA’s IMO, and B) everyone has the right to believe in their side’s ability, but it was almost like an intentionally antagonistic way of saying it. Anyway, that’s just my read on bulb-head.

The problem that I have is that I don't actually think the bump was on purpose. You had a situation where 2 things happened at once.
1. Smith Started walking towards his partner.
2. Rabada ran to celebrate with teammates.

If he is fined for the bump (not the shouting). I think the ICC has gone a bit harsh as I truly don't believe either player meant it and even a fine I would think is harsh.

On a slightly unrelated note, Lyon is starting to become somewhat less appealing for me. For most of his career he’s been a pretty low-lying character and rarely does anything but ply his trade. Of late I’ve noticed him debating not-out decisions with umpires reasonably incessantly (not to the point of dissent or anything), he pulls that stupid pose where the stays on one knee with his hand on his chin as though he suddenly became Shane Warne and ripped one past off stump from somewhere near short leg, the incident with the run out, and he went to great pains to try and point out that ‘we’ve got the best attack in the world in our dressing room’ in a presser the other day. The comment itself isn’t so much incendiary because a) they DO have a good attack even if it’s behind SA’s IMO, and B) everyone has the right to believe in their side’s ability, but it was almost like an intentionally antagonistic way of saying it. Anyway, that’s just my read on bulb-head.
Agreed, there are some signs he's letting GOAT status get to his head. Ditching his family for the new blonde doesn't do him any favours in likeability stakes either.

This is how I see Lyon. Previously he was not a senior player. He could stick to himself, apply his trade and keep going unnoticed. However these days he is more senior and has the added responsibility to do more press conferences. His take on those have been to almost blindly claim brilliance. Now if you add that and the recent changes in his personal life together Lyon is turning into a real Muppet who needs to be taken down a few pegs. Maharaj has out-bowled him in this series so far. Hopefully this is the start to the old Lyon coming back.

I put this down Lyon's profile getting to his head as a result of the 'nice Garry,' and GOAT stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to disagree with a single word here. I said it last Test, but there's an 'edge' developing to him that's not particularly likeable.

He'd do well to lose it, and quickly at that.

Hard to disagree with a single word here. I said it last Test, but there's an 'edge' developing to him that's not particularly likeable.

He'd do well to lose it, and quickly at that.

His ‘ending careers’ comment before the Ashes turned me off him. I enjoy some pre series banter but it was a stupid statement considering England literally ended the career of our captain at the time in 2015.

There's more TV coverage today which means any unsavoury incidents no matter the venue will receive plenty of coverage. Bish even made mention of it on coverage of Windies v Dutch.

There's no doubt player behaviour needs to improve and sooner the better

I think Merv was a bit of a dickhead. He had his funny moments but no less of a dick than Davey.

Still, every game of cricket I seen at all levels has a few dickheads. I expect it. It is weird how people seem to think all players are going to be model citizens. Not a game for the precious. Some people get right into the verbal stuff, some not. Some of it is funny, some is just dumb and then there are moments when it is time to remember sledging is for on field. You walk off field, should be time to turn off the sledging and remember you playing a game and the sledging is a game thing. Having a go at each other when not in the field of battle is far more personal as mental games should be at rest then. This is where smarter individuals from both camps need to get guys like Warner and de Kock to learn having a go at each other in stairwells is just s**t behaviour. I can stomach the antics of Warner, Rabada, Merv, Kohli and other flogs on field and still enjoy their gamesmanship and other skills but going on with s**t off field tells me you are not just acting a flog on field as part of your game, but you actually are a dickhead in general. I still enjoy the batting skills of Warner and Kohli but I have no respect for them as individuals. Both total w***ers in the personality beyond the playing field.

I think Merv was a bit of a dickhead. He had his funny moments but no less of a dick than Davey.

Still, every game of cricket I seen at all levels has a few dickheads. I expect it. It is weird how people seem to think all players are going to be model citizens. Not a game for the precious. Some people get right into the verbal stuff, some not. Some of it is funny, some is just dumb and then there are moments when it is time to remember sledging is for on field. You walk off field, should be time to turn off the sledging and remember you playing a game and the sledging is a game thing. Having a go at each other when not in the field of battle is far more personal as mental games should be at rest then. This is where smarter individuals from both camps need to get guys like Warner and de Kock to learn having a go at each other in stairwells is just s**t behaviour. I can stomach the antics of Warner, Rabada, Merv, Kohli and other flogs on field and still enjoy their gamesmanship and other skills but going on with s**t off field tells me you are not just acting a flog on field as part of your game, but you actually are a dickhead in general. I still enjoy the batting skills of Warner and Kohli but I have no respect for them as individuals. Both total ******s in the personality beyond the playing field.
Think Merv comes across better because he was a good, but not great bowler. Merv saying "tickets please" after beating Miandad is endearing, Warne saying the same thing to a Namibian batsman would probably just come across as him being a tosser.

Warner held back from wacking a bloke still plays while Rabada flashes the gums and gets a suspension??

Warner was his first offence ever...Rabada has how many offences? There is your answer why one is playing and one is sitting test matches out.

I think it was warner’s first offence within 2 years, not first ever.

You could be right there, however no offences in 2 years is a pretty good record. As much as I can't stand Warner much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back