Oppo Camp David Swallow staying North until at least the end of 2024, AFTER WHICH he becomes (?) a NMFC player

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch Hibberd and Swallow in the same line up could be deadly - that would be a midfield revamp

Some people on this board just don't understand the concept of having give something up to get something good in return. We as a club, have set a bold precedent effectively delisting 3 of our best ever club servants in favour of regenerating the list somewhat. I do not have a problem with this, however to do this we must be seen to be trying to continue to be bold and daring with list management decisions. We will never get anywhere settling for mediocrity with our slow midfield, undersized backline etc. targeting O'meara and Swallow, backing our medical staff in is paramount to our future success. You don't win a flag by playing safe and staying in the shell. Hence, if we have any guts Ziebell should certainly not be ruled out of being traded, nor cunnington, nor Goldstein. none are as good as you may perceive them to be as difficult as that is to comprehend.

Agreed. I would trade any of those guys if it meant a better overall outcome. Ziebell is the only one of those I see we can cover comfortably although after 2016 Cunners has lost some of his clearance sparkle. I don't think we have many other options. Tarrant is untouchable as is JMac, Brown and Wood. Atley has currency and I think Dumont is a good player but both O'Meara and Swallow are upgrades.

We have shown some testicles once this week, lets hope there is another weeks worth in us this year.

Swallow next year as free agent. Injury concerns so I would not be giving up first round draft pick when we can get him for nothing next year.

Sent by Tapatalk
Boomer Is The Greatest 400 Game Player In History
That's a fair call.

Maybe GC are helping him on his way this year to avoid that problem next year.
They might not be the full basket-case we think they are..

True, but it depends if you are buying or selling.

If both request a trade (one obviously already did) puts them on the back foot already. O'Meara is gone whether they play hard ball or not and keeping Swallow for his final year against his will if he makes a public statement wanting to leave is hardly a position they want to be in. They might be pragmatic and do a deal.

Swallow next year as free agent. Injury concerns so I would not be giving up first round draft pick when we can get him for nothing next year.

Sent by Tapatalk
Boomer Is The Greatest 400 Game Player In History

Is he definitely a FA next year? If true that gives us a massive advantage in negotiations this year.

Like in soccer, if a player has one year remaining if he makes it clear he won't sign, the club is forced to do a deal now or lose him for nothing the following year. A bit different in AFL as we have free agency compensation but what would they receive for him? One mid range pick at best. If we offer something better now they will do it.

I'd take the punt on both d swallow and o'meara. Huge gamble but if it came off geezus imagine them fit running through the midfield. Wet dream! You don't win premierships bringing in mayne from freo at 28 years of age and don't even get me started on vickery. Hawthorn can have him

nah, forget them both. Go to the draft, get quick mids this year, play our young payers next year while we develop the new kids.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dav...y/news-story/4970c3019d5944901b885714843a344d

DAVID Swallow is open to a trade to a rival club this off-season as Gold Coast players rebel against the aggressive attitude of chairman Tony Cochrane.

afea7cc8244200587649a2fa4362b459

The No.1 draft pick has missed nearly two full seasons with knee issues, visiting North Melbourne doctor Steve Saunders this year after being handed a pessimistic diagnosis by Gold Coast doctors.

Out of contract at the end of 2017, he had given the club assurances that he would serve the final year of his contract.

But the 23-year-old was one of several senior players shocked by Cochrane’s savage assessment of departing star Jaeger O’Meara, who will move to a Melbourne club.

It is understood the mild-mannered midfielder stood up in a leadership meeting and staunchly defended O’Meara’s conduct after he was publicly labelled “disloyal” by Cochrane.

Cochrane repeated that assessment to the entire list, which is believed to have been the last straw for an angry Swallow.

The Herald Sun understands if a trade could be brokered with North Melbourne - where his brother Andrew is the captain - he might consider it this year.

It is believed Saunders told him he could fix his issues within a matter of weeks despite Swallow despairing at his hopes of a full recovery.

He might also be amenable to a trade back to a Perth club as he tries to reboot a career jeopardised by knee issues.

Dion Prestia is expected to move to Richmond for their no. 6 selection, with the potential loss of all three midfielders a devastating blow.

Cochrane repeated his aggressive stance on 3AW yesterday, saying of O’Meara’s London knee surgery, “we have spent a good deal of money on his problems”.

He said if they didn’t get a fair deal for O’Meara the Suns could become “a permanent training camp” for southern clubs.

On Friday, Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy said the loss of all three would leave the Suns in a “death spiral”.

“Even players on contracts are now almost blackmailing their way from one club to another,” Healy said at a Melbourne Football Club business luncheon.

“And if you get a club which is seemingly in a death spiral, which is Brisbane and maybe the Gold Coast at the present time, it’s hard to see how the death spiral can be arrested.

“You can get the best people up there (to run the club) and ultimately that’s the only thing you can do.

“But you still have to convince young players that senior core group of people are going to deliver for you the chance to play in a premiership.

“And one suspects David Swallow is only six months from making the decision or making public the decision that he is going to come back and play in Melbourne.”
We are forever in debt to JB for keeping us away from that shithole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah, forget them both. Go to the draft, get quick mids this year, play our young payers next year while we develop the new kids.

Problem with that is by the time they are ready our current core (Taz, Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown) will age. We do need quality picks but I wouldn't mind moving on some players who stagnated in a trade to keep up our challenge.

Cochrane is an ego with a big mouth. Rocket is (for mine) one of the most overrated coaches in the modern era. Gold Coast doesn't want or need an AFL football team. If David King had his way this is what north would be going through, but probably with less draft concessions to get started. Jam your talks of loyalty deep where the northern sun cannot shine. No one is shedding any tears for the club's plight, least of all the people of the Gold Coast.
POTD

No

No way!!! Ziebs is awesome. How could that even be a suggestion? And why would we want injury prone players anyway?
No he's not.

He's a good footballer with obvious deficiencies who should be better than he is. But he's an excellent leader. I only hope the captaincy next year means an improvement in his game and a move to the top echelon of footballers where he should have already been by now.

It would be harder getting some of the guys mentioned to move to GC than it will be getting Swallow to North. The only guy who may go is Wagner for obvious reasons.
Didn't Wagner say he wanted to play in Melbourne when he was drafted? His brother is down here and he seems to have a pretty good bond with the other players. Might be just as hard to move him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back