David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know who the candidates are and don't need to, all I'm saying was I don't think it would have hurt to wait until seasons end, get more data from his performance, interview a few more candidates as more become available for interviews and express interest, and then make a decision by October which still gives the new coach plenty of time.

Supporters were impatient because they wanted Teague because they barely saw a win in years before him. That pressure seemed to speed up the process.

Time will tell if it's the right call, Teague won't be bad, but maybe there was a better structure or candidate. Either way I don't think he was going anywhere, if he wanted the job he's still wanting it and happy to go through the competitive selection in a few weeks from pole position.
In a year where we are rumoured to be aggressively chasing free agents and looking to accelerate our improvement, it doesn’t make sense to wait until October to interview others if you are sure you’ve got the right guy.
It’d be nigh on impossible to persuade any fa or trade target of note without them knowing who would be coaching them. Agree that I wouldn’t have minded waiting till the end of the season but again if they knew he was the man then why wait?

Heard that Carlton had some sort of function recently and when Teague came into the room got a standing ovation from the crowd. That’s not how you pick a coach!

Did the blues conduct an extensive process and sound out other assistants such as Sam Mitchell or Blake Caracella before he got the gig at the Bombers or ........ Heard nothing else other than Clarko was sounded out and it was only between Voss and Teague.
From what we've seen so far david teague is an excellent coach.

But you're right caracella and sam mitchell could be anything, they might even be excellent coaches.

Supporters were impatient because they wanted Teague because they barely saw a win in years before him. That pressure seemed to speed up the process.
As a supporter who is not in the know, I think this is a long way off the mark.

Yes, Teague has made a difference by winning games but it is really the way he has gone about the role rather than the wins themselves.

My first preference, before Teague's coaching efforts came to the fore was Ratten (still think he was shabily treated by Carlton when he was coaching us and think he will make a great coach the second time around). With this in mind, I'm now fully committed to the Teague Train.

Teague seems well liked by all the players but more importantly seems to be a very astute game day coach who has made moves during games that have made a difference. Even in the games we have lost there seems to be a different feeling and the playing style is definitely more enjoyable to watch. This is more than just a 'caretaker coach freeing up the players' type change. Even his media performances have been quite positive - and it is nice to see a coach who seems like quite a modest person but also determined.

Teague has a quite impressive CV and feedback from all those who have worked with him seems very positive. While it is not vital, it is nice that he also has the feel good factor of having played for Carlton and winning our Best and Fairest - a pretty impressive effort for any player even if it was in the dark days when Pagan was coaching a team that was barely competitive against anyone.

He has won me, as a supporter, not because of the wins but because of the way he has handled himself and the job. Nothing would have been achieved by not announcing the decision till the end of the season. There were no other candidates that would have made the delay viable (even if one of the candidates had been someone like Clarkson).

Ultimately, he may not achieve the success that we all want but he is definitely the best person for the job in my eyes.

Did the right thing for himself by playing the old guys in the main positions. Carlton have improved, but it’s on the back of Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, curnow and daisy finding form, and playing the major roles in the team, but now with the job sewn up will he go back to giving the young kids a crack? Looks like daisy is out the door so possibly

Did the right thing for himself by playing the old guys in the main positions. Carlton have improved, but it’s on the back of Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, curnow and daisy finding form, and playing the major roles in the team, but now with the job sewn up will he go back to giving the young kids a crack? Looks like daisy is out the door so possibly

The team that went out there on Sunday had 8 players under 21. Not to mention guys like Cuningham, Stocker, Curnow, Marchbank and Williamson who would all be there if not for injury.

I have concerns North and Carlton (and potentially St Kilda) have been too easily seduced by team performances during their caretaker periods. The caretaker period is a honeymoon period for mine: expectations are low because finals chances are shot and pressure valves have been released with the sacking of the senior coaches. It amazes me that AFL clubs continue turning their backs on experienced former senior coaches who are keen for another crack, and instead take punts on untested assistant coaches who have done the 'apprenticeship'. People are too quick to label former senior coaches as damaged goods and consign them to the coaching scrap heap. Surely they have to be better for the experience and the lessons learnt.

The team that went out there on Sunday had 8 players under 21. Not to mention guys like Cuningham, Stocker, Curnow, Marchbank and Williamson who would all be there if not for injury.
But 5 of your best 6 were 30+, that’s the point I was making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulation to David on his appointment. Another coach who played under the great Denis Pagan, along with Clarkson, Simpson, Longmire and Hardwicke.

This is good for Carlton as much as it pains me to admit it, they're going to lift fast i suspect.

I like how the players and the heavily invested fans pushed it over the line too, aswell as Teagies results when it was looking a lot like the top heavey admin was going to repeat their bubble mentality which a few big clubs trap themselves in ( 😭 )

They play for this bloke and it shouldn't be underestimated just how powerful that can be, rather than some results dated CV or a flashy powerpoint prez to dazzle the suits with the cheque books.

Err No.

You had an older side, which was heavier, taller and with close to the same games experience on Sunday playing 102 v 99.01. We both had 7 players playing who have played under 50 games as well. This myth that the blues are GCS type young is a lie. You actually have an experienced core who have played consistently for years, yet they never get factored in when you "review", its all about the heaps of first round picks spoken about. Just to compare, we only had 2 more players then your blokes that played over 150 games, you still had 5.

I have concerns North and Carlton (and potentially St Kilda) have been too easily seduced by team performances during their caretaker periods. The caretaker period is a honeymoon period for mine: expectations are low because finals chances are shot and pressure valves have been released with the sacking of the senior coaches. It amazes me that AFL clubs continue turning their backs on experienced former senior coaches who are keen for another crack, and instead take punts on untested assistant coaches who have done the 'apprenticeship'. People are too quick to label former senior coaches as damaged goods and consign them to the coaching scrap heap. Surely they have to be better for the experience and the lessons learnt.
Agreed.
I hope St Kilda interview a few others and wait it out till Ratten finishes the season, and I suspect they will. I still reckon if Richo was the coach we would still have won the 3 games we won under Ratten. I’m just not sure what he’s Teague has proved so much to be the coach for the next three years? Why not wait it out? Media having too much say into getting their own way with coaches yet again.

Going to ban me from this thread too power-man?

Nah, as explained to you already, I am not a mod on the main board.

Any thread bans you've received are because other mods recognize you're a garbage poster who adds nothing worthwhile to any discussion you enter.

What's wrong, too many facts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back