David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Remove this Banner Ad

If they had appointed a West Coast assistant coach they would have avoided being flogged by a flag favourite in round 23.
The same west coast that lost by 58 to geelong at their home ground?

We also had a clear goal ruled out be review system to i'd say the results are about par.

People seriously questioning Teague because of yesterday?

Kicking into a 4-5 goal wind for 3 quarters didn’t help.

People are so knee jerk, Rhys Shaw was a failure a fortnight ago now a shrewd appointment again.

People have the memories of fish

People are so knee jerk, Rhys Shaw was a failure a fortnight ago now a shrewd appointment again.

Geelong kicked 5 goals in the first quarter and 7 goals in the second. When did the wind change direction for you to kick into the wind 3 quarters out of 4?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we add climate change to the list of things that Carlton have had to overcome?

In all honesty, I have serious doubts about Teague as a senior coach. He has a real Matt Primus feel about him (although at least Primus had to go through a process to actually get the job- Teague was seemingly just handed the keys).

Can we add climate change to the list of things that Carlton have had to overcome?

In all honesty, I have serious doubts about Teague as a senior coach. He has a real Matt Primus feel about him (although at least Primus had to go through a process to actually get the job- Teague was seemingly just handed the keys).

You have doubts about everything with Carlton. Don't you know that personal bias makes opinions seem trivial?

Teague has an interesting history.

Assistant at West Coast (2011, 2012, 2013). West Coast finished 4th, 5th and 13th
St Kilda for one season in 2014 (they finished 18th)
Adelaide 2015, 16 and 17. They finished 7th, 5th and 2nd. (some pretty brutal circumstances)
Carlton 2018, 2019. They finished 18th and prob 16th.

I don't think Teague has seen the inside of a successful footy club from a coaching perspective. Even as a player he was part of bog average sides.

This is simply lazy and posted to suit your narrative that apparently isl; anyone not from Hawthorn, has no chance of success. How did all of Mick Malthouse's assistants go after they won the flag (successful club) and were getting job offers all over the shop? Works both ways and is probably best judged on a case by case because stats and narratives can be cherry picked (like you've done) to suit an argument.

Teague began his coaching career as a player-coach of the Northern Bullants and coached them to successive grand finals, the first time the club had been there since the early 80s.

He then went to West Coast where the club played in prelim finals and finished in the top 4. He was highly regarded for his work and hence sought after as an assistant.

He was again popular and highly lauded for his work at Adelaide as the forward coach, in what was probably the most dangerous forward line in the AFL for a couple of seasons. One could argue that their forward line has not functioned or fired to those levels since he left.

Has turned Carlton's fortunes around since taking over, winning 6 of those games including against a team that ended up finishing 2nd.

Depends on the spin....

This is simply lazy and posted to suit your narrative that apparently isl; anyone not from Hawthorn, has no chance of success. How did all of Mick Malthouse's assistants go after they won the flag (successful club) and were getting job offers all over the shop? Works both ways and is probably best judged on a case by case because stats and narratives can be cherry picked (like you've done) to suit an argument.

Teague began his coaching career as a player-coach of the Northern Bullants and coached them to successive grand finals, the first time the club had been there since the early 80s.

He then went to West Coast where the club played in prelim finals and finished in the top 4. He was highly regarded for his work and hence sought after as an assistant.

He was again popular and highly lauded for his work at Adelaide as the forward coach, in what was probably the most dangerous forward line in the AFL for a couple of seasons. One could argue that their forward line has not functioned or fired to those levels since he left.

Has turned Carlton's fortunes around since taking over, winning 6 of those games including against a team that ended up finishing 2nd.

Depends on the spin....
I didn't spin - I presented facts.

Past success doesn't mean future success - sure. It wasn't my argument. Malthouse and co proved that as you rightly point out.

But show me the last time a coach that has not been part of anything successful went on to take a team to a premiership.

I mean there are countless examples of clubs that get close but can't get it done. You've confirmed that Teague has been part of these environments. But it does nothing to show that he's a better selection than any of the potential coaches that have actually seen success and know what a successful environment looks like.

And no - they don't have to come from Hawthorn. You completely invented that as 'my narrative'. Do you realise that? You invented that out of thin air. It's madness. Find someone from Geelong. They've got a bunch of guys doing the coaching circuit since their three flags. Plenty of quality out there - doesn't have to be from hawthorn.

I didn't spin - I presented facts.

Past success doesn't mean future success - sure. It wasn't my argument. Malthouse and co proved that as you rightly point out.

But show me the last time a coach that has not been part of anything successful went on to take a team to a premiership.

I mean there are countless examples of clubs that get close but can't get it done. You've confirmed that Teague has been part of these environments. But it does nothing to show that he's a better selection than any of the potential coaches that have actually seen success and know what a successful environment looks like.

And no - they don't have to come from Hawthorn. You completely invented that as 'my narrative'. Do you realise that? You invented that out of thin air. It's madness. Find someone from Geelong. They've got a bunch of guys doing the coaching circuit since their three flags. Plenty of quality out there - doesn't have to be from hawthorn.

You presented facts as you seem them which is fine, BigFooty is full of people who 'present facts and stats' that suit them which is also fine.

I'm glad you're not in charge of selecting who our coach was, because not appointing a coach based on that narrowly limited field could have seen us appoint the next Scott Watters, Mark Neeld or Brendan Bolton <- this guy didn't do too well did he? I'm all about appointing the best person for the job. Who that is and what is required is probably a bit of a mystery to people outside the four walls of a club and even then they get it wrong pretty often.

What successful environment did Paul Roos come from? One of the highest regarded coaches of the modern era. What about Dennis Pagan going back a bit further?

Who are these bunch of awesome candidates out there that meet your ultra specific criteria?

No need to be so hyperbolic about me 'inventing it' and it being 'madness'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back