Adam Kingsley appointed GWS coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers won’t go down the untried route IMO.
The thing is the president said he wants experience. But didn't clarify whether that's a coach who's been there and done it or someone who's been in the system for years.
They need to clarify this. Or most likely they don't know because you know it's Essendon!

None of them are any good, which is interesting.

Macrae at this stage seems to be Ok, but obviously very early days.

It's always interesting to see which premiership coaches 'produce' good coaches, and which ones don't.
They were all damn good assistant coaches, only 3 of them made senior coach and one of those is doing okay.

The thing is the president said he wants experience. But didn't clarify whether that's a coach who's been there and done it or someone who's been in the system for years.
They need to clarify this. Or most likely they don't know because you know it's Essendon!
You would think he would just say we are going to get the best that's out there.

Ha! According to this place they were both good and we shafted them prematurely and the list was crap.

Can’t have it both ways to suit your agenda.
They’re all over rated. Players make coaches, always have alway will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's been coach of the year so far.

But the second season is always the biggest test for a first-time coach when teams start to figure out their game plan etc.

Will be interesting to see how Collingwood goes next year.

If your basing 'Coach of the Year' on wins, then yeah. He's surely in the conversation.

If you're basing it on convincing wins, then not even close.

Personally, I believe that % is the better guide to where a team is at.

Contrary to the popular and lazy myth, good teams do not necessarily win Close games. There's absolutely zero data to support that being the case.

Richmond lost a bunch of close games to s**t teams this year. Just for example.

So my view is that Collingwood are an Ok team, playing with belief. I'm not sold on anything more than that just yet.

If your basing 'Coach of the Year' on wins, then yeah. He's surely in the conversation.

If you're basing it on convincing wins, then not even close.

Personally, I believe that % is the better guide to where a team is at.

Contrary to the popular and lazy myth, good teams do not necessarily win Close games. There's absolutely zero data to support that being the case.

Richmond lost a bunch of close games to s**t teams this year. Just for example.

So my view is that Collingwood are an Ok team, playing with belief. I'm not sold on anything more than that just yet.
I think coach of the year is mostly dictated by outcome vs pre-season consensus expectation. McRae is far and away doing the best in that regard, and it's not particularly close.

None of them are any good, which is interesting.

Macrae at this stage seems to be Ok, but obviously very early days.

It's always interesting to see which premiership coaches 'produce' good coaches, and which ones don't.
Interesting call. When Dimma won his first flag many said it was his assistants that were the driving force of his success.

Then he won another two and his credentials as one of the games best was undisputed. I still rate the value coaches like Fly, Cara, Leppa, Kingsley and Truck had on our three flags though. But yeah as you have inferred, Dimma is the driving force behind our success as a club on the field.

They made a call between Yze and Kingsley who both have excellent assistant coach credentials. And picked the one they thought was best for the club. Both these guys are destined to be head coaches, hopefully Yze gets his shot soon. Kingsley will do well there.

Interesting call. When Dimma won his first flag many said it was his assistants that were the driving force of his success.

Then he won another two and his credentials as one of the games best was undisputed. I still rate the value coaches like Fly, Cara, Leppa, Kingsley and Truck had on our three flags though. But yeah as you have inferred, Dimma is the driving force behind our success as a club on the field.
They may be great assistant coaches, but this far he hasn't 'produced' any good head coaches.

Not that it means anything. Just an observation.

I think coach of the year is mostly dictated by outcome vs pre-season consensus expectation. McRae is far and away doing the best in that regard, and it's not particularly close.

If that's the case, I'd argue that you can win Coach of the Year and still not be a good coach.

Rutten coached Essendon from about 6 wins, to finals in his first year.

Interestingly, when Essendon made the 8 two years earlier, they had a % in the 90s!

As it turned out, that was a better indication of their performance that season than making the finals.

Not saying the same will happen to Collingwood and Macrae, but after only 22 games and with such a low %, the jury is surely still out.

I'm not sure if this is the right call, but hopefully works out for them

Got to wonder what Yze's interview method is because he has put his hat in the ring a number of times now and come out empty handed. Seems he's always in the last 3 candidates too.
Same as Kingsley, he's been looked over a lot after making the last 3 or 4

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back