Adam Kingsley appointed GWS coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy with this- obv no idea whether Kingskley and Yze would have been best, but no caretaker coach should ever be handed the reins, particularly one that fills the box with former teammates.

None of them are any good, which is interesting.

Macrae at this stage seems to be Ok, but obviously very early days.

It's always interesting to see which premiership coaches 'produce' good coaches, and which ones don't.

Clarkson's former assistants have won 5 flags and counting so far.

Earlier days but Hardwick's assistants have so far won 0.

Kingsley has the length of experience that's required. Also has coached at 3 clubs with multiple head coaches which is positive.

But after a quick search I couldn't see if he's coached his own side. Which isn't so much his fault if that's the case, but more of a weakness in the system. Once you become a highly rated line coach it doesn't make sense to move backwards to a state league head coach but really that's a step coaches should take.

Good luck to him at GWS, it's a tricky job with the list in flux.

I'm not sure if this is the right call, but hopefully works out for them

Got to wonder what Yze's interview method is because he has put his hat in the ring a number of times now and come out empty handed. Seems he's always in the last 3 candidates too.
Pretty much the story of Adam Kingsley until now.

Not much opportunity to be winning them recently given Hardwick has been getting most of them

Yes, that's fair.

There is still a bit of a contrast of fortunes to date. I mean, for Clarko it went like this...

2013 - Clarko flag
2014 - Clarko flag
2015 - Clarko flag
2016 - Clarko assistant flag
2017 - Clarko assistant flag
2018 - Clarko assistant flag
2019 - Clarko assistant flag
2020 - Clarko assistant flag

That's pretty incredible when you think about. 8 straight years of either winning the flag or one of your proteges doing so.

The other assistants he produced was Fagan who took a perennial bottom 4 team to a consistently top 4 team and Bolton, who was sacked.

For Hardwick's assistants, 2 of the 3 to have coached a game have already been sacked without winning a final. Plenty of time left - with Flea looking good early - but a way to go before catching the old master.

Coach of the season for my money.

The job he has done this season with a young, talented GWS team this season and with all their departures in the trade period last season, has been nothing short of remarkable.

I think they will probably fall just short of making finals, but he clearly has been an astute coaching appointment by GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back