Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Magic Mike

All Australian
Nov 9, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Two highly exciting 22 year old midfielders who were both taken in the 2008 draft.

Beams is a year ahead of Shuey in development, but it's a close one to call if you were to pick one of the two for your team. We know how good Beams has been this year in his step up from a forward flanker to a full time midfielder, and he is a smokey for the Brownlow this year.

Watching Shuey explode off a recieving handball from Kerr/Priddis reminds me of Chris Judd in his Eagle days. Shuey will be a superstar of the competition.

Who do you rate as the better player?

Two highly exciting 22 year old midfielders who were both taken in the 2008 draft.

Beams is a year ahead of Shuey in development, but it's a close one to call if you were to pick one of the two for your team. We know how good Beams has been this year in his step up from a forward flanker to a full time midfielder, and he is a smokey for the Brownlow this year.

Watching Shuey explode off a recieving handball from Kerr/Priddis reminds me of Chris Judd in his Eagle days. Shuey will be a superstar of the competition.

Who do you rate as the better player?
Beams is better at the moment.

I hope that will change.

Beams at the moment is definitely having a better season, injuries have hurt Shuey and Beams has excelled with added responsibility. Beams is definitely ahead in his development cycle though and I think come 2013 Shuey could catch up very quickly.

According to Champion Data Shuey is one of the top couple of kicks in the the game (based on difficulty of kicks, length and accuracy) and for most of the year led the comp for scores from stoppages. Incredibly damaging player and with a greater fitness base and an injury free pre-season/year will probably become one of the better midfielders (like Beams) in the comp.

• Banned
Beams is better at the moment.

I hope that will change.

Beams is a year ahead in development, so it's no surprise that he is the better player at this stage.

If Shuey has a full preseason with no injuries, then I am tipping him to have a breakout year and stamp his authority on the game like Beams has done this year.

Yeah... except that Beams had an injury interrupted pre season, missing the first game of the regular and all of the NAB cup..

Shuey doesn't have an all star midfield to block for him either.

If you read further up, you will see that I stated Beams is well ahead at this stage, and that is no surprise given that he is a year ahead in development.

Having said that, there is every chance that Shuey will pass him.

Richard Tambling was rated higher than Dale Thomas at one point in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Beams is the better player at the moment, however they are different types of players in different teams. I would argue Shuey is probably more important to the Eagles than Beams is to Collingwood.

Uncontested possessions accounts for 81% of the possession differential between the two.

Kick to Handball ratio is 51:49 for Beams and 59:41 for Shuey.

Beams gets 15% more marks.

Shuey disposal efficency is 3.4% higher. Bringing the (effective) diposal difference down to 5 per game.

Shuey has 9X the number of bounces than that of Beams.

Shuey conversion rate is 50%, Beams is 65%. Both average 2 scoring shots per game.

Both are super contested footballers with Shuey running at 41% and 37%.

Shuey has more efficent disposal in spite of him winning more of his ball in contested situations and in spite of him disposing the ball by foot. He provides more run and carry than Beams and is a ball winner and mover.

Beams strengths are his ability to work into space and his accuracy at goal. Gets on the end of of more marks and his follow up work generates run for those around him with his superior hands in close.

If you read further up, you will see that I stated Beams is well ahead at this stage, and that is no surprise given that he is a year ahead in development.

Do you think our midfield is designed by us to block for our third or fourth best midfielder? That's hilarious. Our midfield doesn't 'block' for anyone.

I'm not sure why you are arguing if/when Shuey will become the better player when the question you asked in your OP is 'who is the better player'.

I doubt that anyone really rated Tambling ahead of Daisy either, perhaps only in 2009 Tambling had the better season but Thomas' first three seasons (06-08) were better than Tambling's first four (05-08). Irrelevant to this discussion though.

You nong - with Ball out for the year and Pendles, Swanny and Daisy missing significant parts of the season with injuries Beams has been the prime mover in the midfield.

AI think the argument could be made to say Beams has had the best season of any of your mids. Doesn't make him your best midfielder but I'd certainly have him ahead of Swan.

The argument could be made that Beams has had the best season of any mid in the comp! But he's still not a better footballer yet than Swan or Pendles.

You'd have to be a complete moron to think the likes of Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas are laying blocks for Beams in all honesty.

Do you think our midfield is designed by us to block for our third or fourth best midfielder? That's hilarious. Our midfield doesn't 'block' for anyone

Are you suggesting that your midfielders are frontrunners?

I'm not sure why you are arguing if/when Shuey will become the better player when the question you asked in your OP is 'who is the better player'.

Because both of them are young. Derp o_O

I doubt that anyone really rated Tambling ahead of Daisy either, perhaps only in 2009 Tambling had the better season but Thomas' first three seasons (06-08) were better than Tambling's first four (05-08). Irrelevant to this discussion though.

Tambling was rated higher than Thomas around here.

I would know as I was around here back then.

Beams is ahead pretty comfortably at this stage, but with players blocking for him etc i've only really seen it in one game that was against the dockers where Thomas laid a nice bump or two in the stoppages for Beams to get away from Crowley.

Back