Review Dees v the Aints: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep-05-2022%2B18-38-16.gif
CRUNCHY LOOPS

I think you answered your own question there. He's in his six year and is b grade at best. Wouldn't say it's bizarre people want to see someone else. Like a Sestan or Tholstrup.

No team has 23 A graders. The expectations get a bit silly sometimes, especially in the context of talent, list management, roles etc. It genuinely is bizarre that he gets trotted out as a whipping boy every week.

No team has 23 A graders. The expectations get a bit silly sometimes, especially in the context of talent, list management, roles etc. It genuinely is bizarre that he gets trotted out as a whipping boy every week.
Nobody is expecting him to be an a grader but I think it's reasonable to expect more from a player that's in his six years. Tomlinson and McDonald are far from a graders and were just about our best defenders. Personally I think he was okay but we've seen okay for quite some time. The team has stagnated for too long and perhaps we need to give look into other players.

Just watching the presser. Very weird moment where a journo asks Goodwin if the way we scored and entered 50 was the sort of thing we are working towards this year.

Goodwin comes back with "I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone where we are going to go with our game."

???

Nobody is expecting him to be an a grader but I think it's reasonable to expect more from a player that's in his six years. Tomlinson and McDonald are far from a graders and were just about our best defenders. Personally I think he was okay but we've seen okay for quite some time. The team has stagnated for too long and perhaps we need to give look into other players.
Definitely not against him being overtaken by more talented players coming through. I really like who we picked up in the draft and think there's a couple of other similar players running around at Casey that will get a shot at some stage. I guess I just frame it differently to some here - I'm keen for those younger players to overtake Sparrow, but I'm not upset by Sparrow as a player or where he sits currently etc.

Wasn’t even a comfortable victory, lets be honest.

Outside of North the Saints are the worst team in the league and they won two quarters.

And you just know those campaigners are out drunk on barhwater somewhere celebrating too.
It was probably the most comfortable victory we've had all season tbh. I mean did you think at any stage of the game that we were going to lose? Most on here were predicting a 60-50 win.it was a very dominant display tbh. Some people around here hate us winning and playing well. It's honestly bizarre. Great win. Better ball movement. Maintained our solid defence and kicked 100pts. Credit where it's due. I can get around performances like this one

Just watching the presser. Very weird moment where a journo asks Goodwin if the way we scored and entered 50 was the sort of thing we are working towards this year.

Goodwin comes back with "I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone where we are going to go with our game."

???
Goodwin playing 4D chess by keeping the opposition analysts guessing until we bring out the BIG BEN BROWN trump card in September and sweep the competition

???
Wasn't Michael Warner asking was it...

???
Such a weird unit.

Nah, I disagree. The thing with most role-players who are entrenched in best 22s is that they have notable roles/traits that stick out as the reason they get a game every week.

Sparrow turns 24 this week and is playing the majority of his time as a midfielder (CBA% is not the only measurement of midfield time).
  • Is he getting the ball enough? Playing primarily as a midfielder and averaging 15.6 disposals a game (211th in the AFL), I'd say that's a pretty clear no.
  • Is he at least kicking it really well to make up for his limited touches? Currently 264th in the league for kicking efficiency, so no, not really.
  • He must be tagging the opposition's best mid or half-back? Nope.
  • Ah, he must be a big goal kicker then! He's kicked three goals in 11 games, so is also not in the top 250 players in the comp for goals per game.
  • Playing mid/half-forward, his score involvements should be huge then. 181st in the AFL, so it's not that.
The one semi-major stat that he's above average in is 'pressure acts', where he ranks 28th in the comp. Is that the best we can hope for from a 24-year-old mid in his sixth season? And do we really think there's nobody in the VFL who could replicate that, whilst also occasionally hitting the scoreboard/getting involved in scoring chains?

Goodwin playing 4D chess by keeping the opposition analysts guessing until we bring out the BIG BEN BROWN trump card in September and sweep the competition
Got the feeling he's got something special up his sleeve, like the unused sub last year. Innovator.

Wasn't Michael Warner asking was it...
Wouldn't have thought so, I believe he lost his AFL accreditation years ago.

If it was that is a hilariously petty way to answer a question from someone you don't like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the feeling he's got something special up his sleeve, like the unused sub last year. Innovator.
Imagine the ****en tension at the MCG when in our first final we pick Schache as the sub again - the opposition coach will have countless sleepless nights wondering what will happen until the situation reaches a crescendo on match day.

It's the last quarter, the game is in the balance, Schache remains seated on the pine with the vest on. The minutes tick by, the pressure ratchets up further.

The siren sounds, Melbourne loses 6.10 - 46 to 9.2 - 56.

GOODY.jpg

I know coaches like to keep their tactics up their sleeve but come on, this isn't the Manhattan Project. You can say we want to score more off transition or whatever.

Nah, I disagree. The thing with most role-players who are entrenched in best 22s is that they have notable roles/traits that stick out as the reason they get a game every week.

Sparrow turns 24 this week and is playing the majority of his time as a midfielder (CBA% is not the only measurement of midfield time).
  • Is he getting the ball enough? Playing primarily as a midfielder and averaging 15.6 disposals a game (211th in the AFL), I'd say that's a pretty clear no.
  • Is he at least kicking it really well to make up for his limited touches? Currently 264th in the league for kicking efficiency, so no, not really.
  • Ah, he must be a big goal kicker then! He's kicked three goals in 11 games, so is also not in the top 250 players in the comp for goals per game.
  • Playing mid/half-forward, his score involvements should be huge then. 181st in the AFL, so it's not that.
The one semi-major stat that he's above average in is 'pressure acts', where he ranks 28th in the comp. Is that the best we can hope for from a 24-year-old mid in his sixth season? And do we really think there's nobody in the VFL who could replicate that, whilst also occasionally hitting the scoreboard/getting involved in scoring chains?
A pressure act is the sort of stat you get for being second to the ball.

Definitely not against him being overtaken by more talented players coming through. I really like who we picked up in the draft and think there's a couple of other similar players running around at Casey that will get a shot at some stage. I guess I just frame it differently to some here - I'm keen for those younger players to overtake Sparrow, but I'm not upset by Sparrow as a player or where he sits currently etc.

I think Sparrow playing mediocre football in a position he’s not suited to in a team that has been treading water for 3 years yet he gets picked every week explains why he gets discussed here every week.

Woewodin should be getting a game ahead of him, or give Sestan or Tholstrup a go.

There’s a team selection every week so not particularly odd for the board to discuss fringe players who don’t add much.

A pressure act is the sort of stat you get for being second to the ball.
I'd cop that more if he was actually playing an assigned defensive role on a damaging offensive player, but primarily, he's just floating around packs making the occasional tackle (and generally just getting in the way offensively).

I know coaches like to keep their tactics up their sleeve but come on, this isn't the Manhattan Project. You can say we want to score more off transition or whatever.
The atomic bomb has nothing on the devastation Goody will cause this September when his inside 50 bonanza drops for the fourth straight year on the competition. They won't see it coming.

I would again say, that's your expectations being different to mine.

I wouldn't have had him in the top 11/12 players in our team, so stretch that out over 18 teams and I'm not really upset where he sits in those rankings tbh.

I expect him to be a solid B/C grade midfielder as backup for our multi-million dollar midfield. I don't think he's cost us games or won us games, so I dunno, I don't get the angst about him really.

I think Sparrow playing mediocre football in a position he’s not suited to in a team that has been treading water for 3 years yet he gets picked every week explains why he gets discussed here every week.

Woewodin should be getting a game ahead of him, or give Sestan or Tholstrup a go.

There’s a team selection every week so not particularly odd for the board to discuss fringe players who don’t add much.
I think it's far more odd that you'd defend Sparrow than discuss if someone could do his role better. But hey, that's just me.

The atomic bomb has nothing on the devastation Goody will cause this September when his inside 50 bonanza drops for the fourth straight year on the competition. They won't see it coming.
Goody always been a fan of dragging teams down to our level. Mutually assured destruction, as it were.

Wouldn't have thought so, I believe he lost his AFL accreditation years ago.

If it was that is a hilariously petty way to answer a question from someone you don't like.
Nah was just kidding, he only reports on footy boards these days not actual footy.

I would again say, that's your expectations being different to mine.

I wouldn't have had him in the top 11/12 players in our team, so stretch that out over 18 teams and I'm not really upset where he sits in those rankings tbh.

I expect him to be a solid B/C grade midfielder as backup for our multi-million dollar midfield. I don't think he's cost us games or won us games, so I dunno, I don't get the angst about him really.
My issue is the selection armour he has though. What could we possibly lose from giving someone else a go in that role? He's not going to miraculously improve at this point, and his disposal average is actually regressing from past years.

You're right, he may not have lost us games, but in 85 career matches, how many times has he had a big—or even tangible—impact on winning?

That's my problem with it – you know what you're going to get from him, and it's not much. No harm in giving a chance to someone who's either:
  • Faster
  • Fitter (his TOG% has been consistently low for his whole career)
  • Smarter (both in terms of positioning and taking the correct option offensively)
  • A better ball user
  • More of a goal-kicker
  • More of a negating player who can take on a defensive role
  • Or even just someone younger who could improve in the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back