Review Dees v the Aints: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue is the selection armour he has though. What could we possibly lose from giving someone else a go in that role? He's not going to miraculously improve at this point, and his disposal average is actually regressing from past years.

You're right, he may not have lost us games, but in 85 career matches, how many times has he had a big—or even tangible—impact on winning?

That's my problem with it – you know what you're going to get from him, and it's not much. No harm in giving a chance to someone who's either:
  • Faster
  • Fitter (his TOG% has been consitently low for his whole career)
  • Smarter (both in terms of positioning and taking the correct option offensively)
  • A better ball user
  • More of a goal-kicker
  • More of a negating player who can take on a defensive role
  • Or even just someone younger who could improve in the role.

Sure, as I've said a few times, personally would be happy if one of those younger players overtook him. No argument there at all. I just don't get why he's pretty much the first player brought up every week.

Sure, as I've said a few times, personally would be happy if one of those younger players overtook him. No argument there at all. I just don't get why he's pretty much the first player brought up every week.
Probably because Dan made such a big fuss about him in the preseason, tbh.

He's a developed body who can run (often in our most KMs travelled/highest average speed which indicates he's doing a lot of running) and can pressure (high pressure acts/rating/whatever the ****) and he's "flexible". Other mids seem to love playing with him so he's clearly quite selfless.

He's just a foot solider who can do a bit of everything but is generally there to chase and cover off our more offensively minded mids' direct opponents when needed.

Also seems like a bit of a personality hire. Which is fine. But even recently he's been shitting me a bit and I have backed him on here before.

He's not in the top 5 or even 10 problems with our side though.

Why are we still talking about Tom Sparrow?

Round of applause for 14 disposal no impact Tom Sparrow
He's really great at - (insert pointless stats and intangible like great teammate)

Only allowed to discuss the performances of Ben Brown and Adam Tomlinson here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fugly: Our forward line still being as disconnected as ever and generally not showing any ability to act as a forward line - no leading, no movement, no creating space, no blocking.

It doesn’t matter if the opposition is flooding back you still need to lead to create some sort of space behind!

Stafford seriously has to go. The same shit has gone on long enough.

Fugly: Our forward line still being as disconnected as ever and generally not showing any ability to act as a forward line - no leading, no movement, no creating space, no blocking.

It doesn’t matter if the opposition is flooding back you still need to lead to create some sort of space behind!

Stafford seriously has to go. The same shit has gone on long enough.
Weird response after kicking 100pts. I saw more leading into space this game than any other this year. Probably doesn't say much, but if we play with this intent most games, then we'd be very watchable. Freo then Collingwood are different propositions though. High pressure teams.

You'd want to be beating Collingwood with their injury list.
Maybe. But Freo over there struggled to get it done. Pies are extremely well coached and if they bring the pressure, they have enough quality depth to beat most sides. Mihocek is a huge out for them, but the ground ball in their F50 will worry us.

Maybe. But Freo over there struggled to get it done. Pies are extremely well coached and if they bring the pressure, they have enough quality depth to beat most sides. Mihocek is a huge out for them, but the ground ball in their F50 will worry us.
Agree they're well coached don't know that their depth is that amazing. Point being if we can't get over a half fit Collingwood when we barely have any outs ourselves it pretty much proves we're not a serious team this year.

Weird response after kicking 100pts. I saw more leading into space this game than any other this year. Probably doesn't say much, but if we play with this intent most games, then we'd be very watchable. Freo then Collingwood are different propositions though. High pressure teams.

How much of that was from genuinely good play in the forward line?

The first half was a mess, exactly like we’ve played for the last two years and exactly why we got bundled out in straight sets despite having significantly more forward 50 entries.

St Kilda for whatever reason didn’t get the same numbers back in the second half (fatigue/us intercepting in dangerous areas/us exiting clearance better) so it opened up, it wasn’t our forward line magically coming good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much of that was from genuinely good play in the forward line?

The first half was a mess, exactly like we’ve played for the last two years and exactly why we got bundled out in straight sets despite having significantly more forward 50 entries.

St Kilda for whatever reason didn’t get the same numbers back in the second half (fatigue/us intercepting in dangerous areas/us exiting clearance better) so it opened up, it wasn’t our forward line magically coming good.
I actually thought the first quarter was great. Fritta and JVR were leading out and actually getting hit on the chest a few times. We were much more attacking in our ball movement and our mids got a hold of the game with 67 entries. What are people expecting? I've been really critical, but last week was much better imo.

67 entries.
Weird stat to bring up with our lot.

We had 47,734 entries against the Pies last September and still never looked like winning.

Some of the entries on Sunday were just awful too, Kozzie burning everyone so he could hit up his mate shaneo. Selfish stuff.

Weird stat to bring up with our lot.

We had 47,734 entries against the Pies last September and still never looked like winning.

Some of the entries on Sunday were just awful too, Kozzie burning everyone so he could hit up his mate shaneo. Selfish stuff.
Not really. The week before the team got roasted for being too defensive with not enough inside 50s. This week 100pts with 67 entries and they get roasted by the same people. We looked much more aggressive and lowered the eyes enough.

I actually thought the first quarter was great. Fritta and JVR were leading out and actually getting hit on the chest a few times. We were much more attacking in our ball movement and our mids got a hold of the game with 67 entries. What are people expecting? I've been really critical, but last week was much better imo.
I agree the first quarter our forwards were leading much better than I’ve seen. There were a couple of marks where the defender was given no chance to spoil which is what you want to see.

The improvement stalled a bit at times and there were long patches where the whole game looked yuck again, but I did think it was a positive that some inside 50 delivery looked better.

I’d love to see whether we can learn to capitalise better, and whether we can move the ball better against better opposition, and whether we can maintain a standard over 4 quarters, but I’ll take this one as showing improvement, a 3 figure win and a very drunk PG

The week before the team got roasted for being too defensive with not enough inside 50s.
They got roasted for having their pants pulled down by the current wooden spooners, who incidentally backed up last week by losing to a bottom 8 team by 99 points.

I don't recall anyone saying the problem was being too defensive.

Right now Saints are the worst team in it outside of North, I'm gonna wait to see how we go over the next few weeks before I get excited.

Yeah as i've already said, it was good to put the foot down. We had another gear the saints didn't. Still overly concerning we went a long period in the 2nd terms without scoring again though. No matter the game we seem to have long stints of non scores, sometimes entire quarters

They got roasted for having their pants pulled down by the current wooden spooners, who incidentally backed up last week by losing to a bottom 8 team by 99 points.

I don't recall anyone saying the problem was being too defensive.

Right now Saints are the worst team in it outside of North, I'm gonna wait to see how we go over the next few weeks before I get excited.
No one is saying we're gonna win the flag after beating the Saints. But we all wanted to see more attacking and more scoring, yet when we do it it's still moan and groan by some.

I’m more annoyed at our inability to put teams to the sword, why did we let them kick 3 late goals?

Spent the better Part of a decade getting spanked, now we’re decent and we keep putting in these ‘foot off the gas’ winning performances in against trash oppo.

Watching us win is like a ruined wank, I know some people enjoy that, but not me.

I’m more annoyed at our inability to put teams to the sword, why did we let them kick 3 late goals?

Spent the better Part of a decade getting spanked, now we’re decent and we keep putting in these ‘foot off the gas’ winning performances in against trash oppo.

Watching us win is like a ruined wank, I know some people enjoy that, but not me.
We only put the foot on the gas when winning is already out of reach.

Wait. Some people enjoy a ruined wank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back