Delisted Free-Agents Target List

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's the talk of him turning his life around from?
You bring up Gault, who we can all agree wasnt up to AFL standards - but he has been a much better player than Bennell at WAFL level.
Bennell is 27 and done nothing for 4 years - fair enough if the club wants to do their due diligence and look deeply at all possible recruits - but I think the evidence is pretty clear on what Bennell can actually offer at this point.
Guys like Andy Krakoeur and Marlion Pickett both performed well at WAFL level before getting back (Krak) or getting a shot (Pickett) at AFL level. If he was dominating for Peel on a consistent basis - then sure sign him up, but not only has Bennell not got those runs on the board - he always seems to be followed by controversy. If the Dockers cant wait to see the back of him - that should be a pretty decent indication.

Since sacked by Fremantle it has been reported he has seen a surgeon that has been able to rectify his chronic calf issues. He has had two calf operations (one on both calves) to remove muscle pressing on a nerve.

Prior to his last injury he tore it up in that month he had in the WAFL.

If this surgeon has been able to fix his chronic calf issues then we would be mad not to go after him. The risk is minimal.

Now that he is officially cut by the Tigers, Townsend would be a great addition to our forward line. Good kick at goal and would bring outstanding forward pressure. Having someone who brings some inside info from Richmond wouldn't hurt either.

I would consider Bennell, Townsend and a KPD like Kaiden Brand or Fletcher Roberts to play as a back up for Roughead.

Bennell offers outside run and elite skills (worth a spot if his body and attitude are as right as he states). Could be "the cream on top" our side needs, the very thing Wells was meant to be for our side, and is about 4 years younger than when we first picked up Wells.

Townsend as a deep pressure forward who can also kick goals. Could also free us up to play the like of Stephenson and JDG up the ground a bit more.

Brand or Roberts as KPD depth. Unfortunately not sure if Dunn is going to be a reliable back up for his, will be 33 in May next year and coming of 2 knee reco's.

Didn’t see Dunn on the delist or retirement list. So he must be staying on, if Dunn retired I’d be happy with Walker on the rookie list as injury cover.

We have not Announced our De-Listings.

Either they are done and Media Team is Slow or Still Waiting to see what other Teams De-List

Weird management of Jok. He was always a 2-3 year proposition given the development needed, yet Essendon gave him a debut after minimal form and an injury interrupted year. Thought the debut was to give him an insight into senior footy, however with today’s delisting it was seemingly sink or swim.

Saints did same thining with Nathan "PING" Freeman

Yeah 2020 may be their real last year to contend, as Ablett and Harry Taylor are retiring at the end of the 2020 season.
Harry Taylor was a liability at the end of last season anyway. Hope they keep playing him consistently

Would like to see Masten with us for a couple seasons.
Played some good footy this season and could be very handy for a team in contention.
Walker might be ok, played really well against us this season and the one thing we lack is depth in the key positions and he can swing both ways.
Keays was unlucky with the influx of small fwds and midfield depth at Brisbane, he will def be picked up by someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would consider Bennell, Townsend and a KPD like Kaiden Brand or Fletcher Roberts to play as a back up for Roughead.

Bennell offers outside run and elite skills (worth a spot if his body and attitude are as right as he states). Could be "the cream on top" our side needs, the very thing Wells was meant to be for our side, and is about 4 years younger than when we first picked up Wells.

Townsend as a deep pressure forward who can also kick goals. Could also free us up to play the like of Stephenson and JDG up the ground a bit more.

Brand or Roberts as KPD depth. Unfortunately not sure if Dunn is going to be a reliable back up for his, will be 33 in May next year and coming of 2 knee reco's.

Couldnt agree anymore would be astounded if we werent considering him

Keays was unlucky with the influx of small fwds and midfield depth at Brisbane, he will def be picked up by someone.
Keays is definitely the highest value player delisted so far. Highly rated junior, still only 22, held out of a good side by good players and largely struggled due to being played out of position. If someone will give him a shot in the midfield, he still has potential.

Keays is definitely the highest value player delisted so far. Highly rated junior, still only 22, held out of a good side by good players and largely struggled due to being played out of position. If someone will give him a shot in the midfield, he still has potential.

Haven't seen much of him, could he be the sort of player that could help improve us in terms of clearances?

He would end up being played out of position if he came to us also. He wouldn't get in the midfield and would end up like a lot of the other midfielders we have recruited and played as a small forward so he would be in exactly the same boat.

He would end up being played out of position if he came to us also. He wouldn't get in the midfield and would end up like a lot of the other midfielders we have recruited and played as a small forward so he would be in exactly the same boat.
I wasn't advocating us drafting him. But there are teams he'd slot into. Nobody tell Essendon about him.

I like the sound of Keays. Supposedly skilled by foot which means there’s definitely a spot in the midfield for him if we’re game. Type of player I’d prefer over Wills when we have Sier already as depth.

Would like to see Masten with us for a couple seasons.
Played some good footy this season and could be very handy for a team in contention.
Walker might be ok, played really well against us this season and the one thing we lack is depth in the key positions and he can swing both ways.
Masten is a flog of the highest order and a very ordinary footballer. Pass for me.

The only delisted player that has much appeal right now is Ben Keays but he isn't a good fit for us. His best position is midfield but he is very similar to the players we've got. He can play on ball but he isn't an aggressive first possession type. He has the game to play outside mid but he is one paced and not a particularly damaging ball user. I reckon Hine would love him though. I don't want mids unless they're hard nut on ballers or pacey wings. We have enough inside/outside types with so so pace.

Last edited:
The only delisted player that has much appeal right now is Ben Keays but he isn't a good fit for us. His best position is midfield but he is very similar to the players we've got. He can play on ball but he isn't an aggressive first possession type. He has the game to play outside mid but he is one paced and not a particularly damaging ball user. I reckon Hine would love him though. I don't want mids unless they're hard nut on ballers or pacey wings. We have enough inside/outside types with so so pace.

Didn't we just Trade that kid of Player Out ;)

Thanks Quicky. Happy to pass if he’s one paced and not damaging by foot as you describe.

Someone like Josh Walker as a KPD deserves a spot on a list over Jack Madgen.

Walkers had over 10 marks on 5 seperate occasions in 2018-2019. With a bunch of games with 7-8-9 marks.

Madgen once had over 5 marks, and he averages just over 3 a game, Walker is a much better option.

Magden isn't taking up a iist spot that Walker could step into. Agree that Magden isn't really up to standard though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back