Division 1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched South Croydon v Montrose in a 'praccy' at wandin oval on sat, and was really impressed by the skill and high quality football both teams produced in their second hit out. SC started with an explosive first 15 mins and into a strong wind had 4 gls on the board with monty struggling to hold any position around the ground with lack of leg speed and behind at every contest against the Premier side. But after Qtr time with G Ayres calmly explaining the minor things the dee's were ''not doing'' as per plan? The first division side locked them down and found a great brand of footy and consistency that i believe can make them very dangerous this season. Final score SC 11-8 Mont 11-5.

No surprise seeing Sth Belgrave announce their arrival in Div 1 with such an emphatic win. They are good enough to go all the way.

Easily good enough. They are stacked to the gills with stars. Their forward line is the equal of any in all five divisions.

I wonder if anybody has picked up the phone to Mulgrave... only side to beat them last year... which isn't that remarkable, except they did it twice and no other side did it at all! What was their secret?

I was at the first game on that huge Wellington oval and to me, Mulgrave just played wet weather footy that day. Didn't see the second game and in saying that some teams just find a way to beat another team, despite ladder positions.

Last edited:
Easily good enough. They are stacked to the gills with stars. Their forward line is the equal of any in all five divisions.

I wonder if anybody has picked up the phone to Mulgrave... only side to beat them last year... which isn't that remarkable, except they did it twice and no other side did it at all! What was their secret?
Loaded up is an understatement. High quality players who have returned to their local club combined with some good recruits and excellent juniors due to their relationship with Lysterfield. I can’t help feeling somewhat sceptical about them though, are they going to be a ‘flash in the pan’ like Rowville was in the early 80s. South have history doing this but let’s hope in this instance the foundations of the club are far stronger/ more robust than what happened many years ago when in the old South West Gippsland and YVMDFL competitions.

Just read Cam Cloke been king hit behind play and went to hospital. Apparently his now retired. Not a great look and cowardly punch when 2 on 1 behind play then he runs off.
Cam Cloke known to be a fair player so bit ordinary..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unbelievable to think that will be in premier division next year,can see them going through undefeated.

Unless something has changed recently there is no promotion from Divi 1 this season

a728b67d7b172a1ee9ee5290499e22ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever finishes 2nd last in Div 1 will be really stiff. They will probably be relegated with 5 or 6 wins.

Lilydales best game for the year to watch, kicking our highest goal tally even though we got smashed by 9 goals, funny game football !

I had SB Premiers by the length of the Flemington Straight. Well done Mitcham, a few years down and have worked their way back up to be Div 1 Premiers. Going to go off tonight. I can see many club volunteers just staying there tonight as they will be working tomorrow at the Div 2 GF. WELL DONE MITCHAM!!!

Well if you look at the total player points today South Belgrave has 32, Mitcham 37 so on face value Mitcham better with the cheque book to recruit non Mitcham players to the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. South Belgrave get a stack of kids from Lysterfield, I assume they have a junior-senior relationship with them.

I remember back when Lysterfield was formed, they were basically an offshoot of Knox, who helped to set them up. I wonder what has happened because they’ve clearly jumped over to South Belgrave.

As for Mitcham, no idea where their players come from. But 37 points says there’s more than a few imports.

But went in as definite underdogs anyway and have pulled off a great win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back