Do supporters on here genuinely hate their team's rivals?

Remove this Banner Ad

I despise the Eagles because I emotionally blame them for destroying the WAFL competition. In my logical mind I know it is an irrational dislike but emotions are powerful things in football. Also 'i think their name and eagles wings are just silly! Where the *** is "West Coast"?

So you'd rather no WA AFL teams? AFL was inevitable, and as sad as the WAFL's decline was, most only care about one comp at a time, and naturally for most it'll be the biggest.

Hate is too strong but ...

Hawthorn.

I don't think other fans quite get it. Collingwood and Essendon just grabbed a public holiday, other teams are located near each other or just look back to the 60s.

Geelong and Hawthorn ... that was not manufactured but made.

Not really. I still hate the nastiest bogey sides (e.g. Bombers, Power, etc.) when we play them, but outside of that I'm usually fine with them, an appreciator of the comp in general. Hating a club tends to be generational, you'll have periods when they are on the up and you like to see them do well and develop a temporary soft spot. e.g. in 2001 I was very sick of sides like Essendon, North, Carlton, etc, but there have been other moments when I'd cheer them on in a final. There are times when you'll cheer the passing to a new guard.

That said, I find there are a handful of clubs you regularly gravitate towards and another handful you seldom warm to, maybe respect at best. I will normally favor the interstater in a GF. I've never been into Geelong at any time for whatever reason, but hate would be a bit strong.

Last edited:
Bigger than the SANFL but still need their money to prop you up? Okay.
Really. Port are only getting back their own money which is owed to them by the treacherous SANFL who have robbed Port and your mob blind for decades. Have you ever wondered why your lot, the corporation have never reached the financial power that is in line with the WCE? Also Port have been the most supported SANFL club for decades, constantly playing finals and with the biggest crowds, which is indisputable. You also mentioned ina previous post how Port backstabbed the SANFL in 1990, talk about a broken record. Maybe you should wonder why the SANFL introduced Woodville in the early 1960s. It was purely an act of treachery by the SANFL in order to dilute Ports dominance after 6 flags in a row as well as one or two more in the early 60s. Tell me what other rationale would there be given that there were already 3 clubs ina crowded western suburbs where little or no growth was going to happen. By the way I had this act of treachery confirmed to me by a former non Port supporting sanfl delegate/club official who is a Port hater. So you and other pissants who speak of treachery in 1990, well the sanfl were well and truly at much earlier. Oh and by the way, all the sanfl treachery against Port achieved was to eventually wipe out West Torrens, which had been quite a strong club in earlier decades. Now run off and play with your wooden spoon.

It’s a given as a Port supporter to hate the crows. I’ve got great mates who are mad crows supporters and I should support them as a South Aussie when they play the Vic teams. But I genuinely hate them. Hate the way they came into the AFL and hate they way they’ve conducted themselves over the last 10 years. I’m sure they’ll say the same about Port though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we played at Footy Park there was a Port fan who sat near me, and every showdown he wore a special teeshirt. It featured a picture of one hand holding down a crow by the throat while the other hand held a drill which was being used to drill out the crow's eye, and just in case you did not get the message, on the picture were the words "F*** the Crows".

I should add that the airbrush painting was done quite tastefully.

Last edited:
In all honesty I basically just hate the teams who are really really good, like mid 2010s Hawthorn and current Richmond, and irrationally make up 'legitimate' reasons as to why I do.

Somehow never hated peak 2000s Geelong though, they were always so good to watch and I guess WC were never really contending against them when they won their premierships so less investment in that sense. Really like Collingwood, Freo and Sydney also, and probably always will.

All good fun though, adds interest to games where your team isn't playing. Don't get the "I hate X or Y supporters" though, you support a team because you lived in the area/your parents did/you like the colours or players or whatever, not because team X are all dickheads so that's the team for dickheads to support. Every team has dickhead supporters because some people in this world are like that, and unfortunately they're always the loudest.

Not at all. Like others have said, many good friends are Eagles supporters and able to discuss footy easily with them. Every club has its keyboard warriors and dimwit fans, Eagles no exception, but it's not a representation of the whole club.

I also like a lot of the Eagles players - especially the Claremont boys, of which there have been many.

In the 'olden days' when suburban grounds were used for footy, you'd take your life in your hands attending an away game in your club colours and stand in the outer in enemy territory - it was 'in your face' and brutal at times. That was when emotions would run high. These days we all sit in our separate plastic fold down chairs eating tofu, a million miles away from the ground and blokes are exited from the game for looking sideways. Pretty hard to feel anything except apathy.

Getting angry at men wearing different colours is pretty silly.

I saw some poor guy screeching at an opposition player, standing up then sitting down, shaking in his chair, voice breaking. That tantrum was one of the most cringe worthy sights my eyes have seen, and is a great reminder not to take it so seriously.

Are you actually saying Carlton weren’t over the salary cap in 1995?
Have never seen any proof to say we were. The mongrel punt is hardly a Oracle of all things correct. All I've seen is that 1993 is the only time that a premiership team has been sanctioned for breaches.

Whispers and assumptions don't count.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back