Do supporters on here genuinely hate their team's rivals?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't hate. I like to watch good footy and I like watching any team that plays it. The only time I really barrack against another club having success is when they have too much of it. I probably hate on the AFL more than other clubs - the manipulation of the playing field and bias toward big clubs is very frustrating.

I don't know, it's a hard question to answer. As you say, Perth teams in the AFL was "inevitable", as journalists used to say back then. I turned 18-years-old in 1986 so all my childhood memories are of the WAFL at its peak. It is sad to see meaningful, life-defining derbies like West Perth versus East Perth drop away to near invisibility. Definitely there is nostalgia involved.

I also didn't like that the football public had no say in the Eagles' name, nickname, colours, jersey design, and playing squad, and that right from the start it was all very much corporate-style imagery (they were ahead of their time). There should have been public consultation and voting process about the name and colours, as happened with Western Sydney Wanderers in the A-League. They were forced on us. I always thought "East Perth Eagles" sounded way better.

Like I said, it is an emotional response. A younger mate pulled me up on it and said "you should dislike the Dockers equally as much then". I guess I don't blame them as much because the WAFL was half-destroyed by 1995. They should have just admitted South Fremantle though.

I did and do like a lot of the original Eagles players as I had watched them in the WAFL and State-of-Origin - there were some great players and interesting characters - Ischenko, Gastev, Turley, Zanotti, Wrensted, Mainy, Dean Turner, Phil Narkle, Don Holmes, Paul Peos (who went to university with me), etc.,

I was born in 1986, same year as the Eagles were established, so for those my age the WAFL was generally quite irrelevant. I mean, I'm glad it's still going strong, but can't blame us for supporting the national team.

Is that right? I didn't know about that. No issues with the name, icon, logo, colours etc. East Perth would sound odd. Maybe Perth Eagles? At least our mascot isn't a Docker lol.

Yeah to me the Eagles and Dockers still do fly the flag for WA, now that we don't have state of origin. The VFL had been poaching our best for years, it was nice to field our own team don't you think?

Joke: Eagles supporter gets to heaven. He is overjoyed to meet his parents and grandparents.

"Johnny, how are East Perth doing these days, mate?" asks Granddad.

"Ah, emmm, I'm not really sure...I follow this new club called West Coast Eagles".

"Who?... You mean you abandoned our club after four generations of loyal support? Maybe you should go back where you came from".

"Ah, ermmm, well, emm, we beat Fremantle a lot and we got Nic Nat, and we're pretty rich..."

That's a real knee slapper right there...

I grew up the only Docker in a large and extremely passionate Eagles family. They'd give me s**t about it after every derby win and premiership then all of a sudden turn into rugby fans when Eagles lose. Pretty much any Eagles loss is a good loss for me. Certain members of the WA media don't help the situation.

I grew up the only Docker in a large and extremely passionate Eagles family. They'd give me sh*t about it after every derby win and premiership then all of a sudden turn into rugby fans when Eagles lose. Pretty much any Eagles loss is a good loss for me. Certain members of the WA media don't help the situation.

yep never met a dockers fan who wasn't more obsessed about the Eagles than their own club

I despise Essendon, obviously would never want them to fold (as I would never hope for any club) but would so gladly never see them win a final or even make finals for as long as I live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely despise the mob down the road. Nothing but a plastic made up excuse to stop us entering the league and not wanting and trying to stop the move to Adelaide Oval to boot.
All glee and genuine happiness watching them squirm with the spoon this year.

i don’t hate other clubs specifically, but do hate some of their attitudes or continued success.

I didn’t mind when the Dogs won their grand final, think it was good for the comp.

Wouldn’t be annoyed if Freo got it one year, especially if the Eagles completely missed the finals so they would have to watch it for 4 weeks.

The Geelong and Hawthorn rivalry seemed to only spring up in 2008.
Can tell you that is 100% not true, I grew up with stories from my old man telling me of his utter disdain for Hawthorn....Club legends who have now passed on in Kennedy & Davis had a complete dislike of each other from playing & coaching against each other....We even buried a Hawk in the Kardinia Park turf after the 1963 GF win, & from there you have the Matthews king hit on Bruns with assault charges the result, epic H&A matches & 2 more GF’s, one in which was arguably the best & most brutal of all time....We have a long history with Hawthorn!

Yes I genuinely despise Collingwood and Port Adelaide. I was actually just as relieved and happy with Geelong eliminating the scum on Saturday as I was when we finally beat Richmond as it meant we didn't have to verse them in a prelim and that my ultimate nightmare of a Port v pies GF at the Gabba couldn't happen anymore.

no for me freo are one of my better liked teams, gained a lot of respect for them after this season. Only really s**t on them on derby week

Iv had murderess dreams about Alastair Clarkson.

One time, I dropped watermelons on him repeatedly until he was smooshed to pulp.

I woke up with sticky jocks.

I DON'T NEED HELP!

YOU DO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back