Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we need a send off rule in the AFL.

Taking nothing away from Geelong — they played well today — but I do find it really hard to stomach when one of their players intentionally takes out one of ours (arguably our most important) and then goes on to be best on ground.

I believe that any high bump or strike that is clearly intentional (not contesting the ball) and results in an opposition player being taken out of the game with concussion should result in the offender being sent off and their team having to play out the game with 21 players.

A few incidents come to mind that should have resulted in send offs:
  • Dangerfield's hit on Jake Kelly last year
  • Andrew Gaff's hit on Andy Brayshaw in 2018
  • Steven May's hit on Stefan Martin in 2016
  • Tyrone Vickery's hit on Dean Cox in 2014

I'm sure there are a few others too.

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we need a send off rule in the AFL.

Taking nothing away from Geelong — they played well today — but I do find it really hard to stomach when one of their players intentionally takes out one of ours (arguably our most important) and then goes on to be best on ground.

I believe that any high bump or strike that is clearly intentional (not contesting the ball) and results in an opposition player being taken out of the game with concussion should result in the offender being sent off and their team having to play out the game with 21 players.

A few incidents come to mind that should have resulted in send offs:
  • Dangerfield's hit on Jake Kelly last year
  • Andrew Gaff's hit on Andy Brayshaw in 2018
  • Steven May's hit on Stefan Martin in 2016
  • Tyrone Vickery's hit on Dean Cox in 2014

I'm sure there are a few others too.

Absolutely not. System is fine as it is. OP sounds like sour grapes and excuse making after a bitter lose tbh

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we do not need a send-off rule in the AFL. We play a body contact sport, the fans love it, we have 36 players running around at full pace for over 2 hours and collisions will occur. Now, if we want to take the contact out of the game altogether that's a different story and the game will not be Australian Rules Football. Stewart is a fair player (Richmond fans can cry all they want) he is a fair player and a great player. He will be penalised for making a mistake that he has already admitted to. Take all the emotion out of it, calm down and let him cop his penalty, it's going to hurt Geelong, but in our game it will happen again. Send off rules at this level for a non deliberate action is insane, it achieves nothing.

Absolutely not. System is fine as it is. OP sounds like sour grapes and excuse making after a bitter lose tbh
Oh come on. I said in the post that Geelong played well and deserved the win.

In any other sport if you cleaned someone up intentionally you'd get sent off. In the real world you'd get locked up for it.

Concussion is a serious issue. CTE has most likely played a part in us losing blokes like Shane Tuck and Danny Frawley. We can't have s**t like this in our game any more. This isn't the 1980s.

No, and not even close to being a sending off. There have been exactly two incidents in the last 15 years for which a player should have been sent off if there was a send off rule, Barry Hall and Andrew Gaff.

You know what happens if you bring in a send off rule? The very first game, the first kick inside 50 to a pack of 6 players, all 6 players go down claiming to have been king hit by an opponent trying to get someone sent off. The first quarter would run an hour with constant mass staging at every single contest, and the rule would be removed mid match it'd be such a joke.

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we do not need a send-off rule in the AFL. We play a body contact sport, the fans love it, we have 36 players running around at full pace for over 2 hours and collisions will occur. Now, if we want to take the contact out of the game altogether that's a different story and the game will not be Australian Rules Football. Stewart is a fair player (Richmond fans can cry all they want) he is a fair player and a great player. He will be penalised for making a mistake that he has already admitted to. Take all the emotion out of it, calm down and let him cop his penalty, it's going to hurt Geelong, but in our game it will happen again. Send off rules at this level for a non deliberate action is insane, it achieves nothing.
You can hardly call running past the ball to clean someone up just a "collision". And it was a deliberate action. I'm certain it will be graded as such by the MRO.

Fair players sometimes do the wrong thing. Andrew Gaff had never been suspended before when he hit Brayshaw. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been immediately sent off.

This is a pathetic post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time I remember seeing people talk about a send off rule was when Gaff punched Brayshaw in 2018.

If we've managed to go another 3 and a half seasons without it, why do we suddenly need it now? Why doesn't someone advocate for it in the off season when no one is punching or bumping anyone?

+1 for any send off rule being for non football acts. Stewart's bump was high and late but he hit Prestia with his shoulder tucked in a split second after the contest. Football act, football punishment of however many weeks the MRO/tribunal come up with. If he collected him with a swinging fist to the face or an elbow or just walked up and punched him then that's send off worthy.

latest

You can hardly call running past the ball to clean someone up just a "collision". And it was a deliberate action. I'm certain it will be graded as such by the MRO.

Fair players sometimes do the wrong thing. Andrew Gaff had never been suspended before when he hit Brayshaw. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been immediately sent off.
It was a collision and a non deliberate action. We're talking about a split second when a player has made a non bdleiberate mistake. He is a fair and great player. The hysterics with this sort of thing sours the game more than the incident itself, the player has admitted to his mistake, he will cop a penalty. Leave it at that. The real problem is the game itself has already been forgotten and it was one of the best of the season. Footy fans love drama more than the game.
If you introduce a send off rule you are expecting umpires who are under enough pressure to adjuidcate something that will be bring even more scrutiny. It won't take long before players will be sent off for spitting on the ground. It will get out of hand. Andrew Gaff was a deliberate king hit, a completely diferrent action. I know opposition fans want to see Stewart hanging from the nearest yardarm, particularly Richmond duspporters who are still smarting from the loss, but the hysteria has to stop, no one is denying that Stewart will cop a penalty, but he doesn't desrve life for it!

No thanks we don't need more influence from the umpires. You have the sub there, how about teams don't have ruckman as their sub, just a small idea. The sub was brought in so teams weren't a man down.
The sub could be any type of player and the issue would still be there. If you get a situation where a team's best player gets knocked out, then they have to replace them with their 23rd best player. That's a major disadvantage brought about because the opposition didn't play fairly.

The last time I remember seeing people talk about a send off rule was when Gaff punched Brayshaw in 2018.

If we've managed to go another 3 and a half seasons without it, why do we suddenly need it now? Why doesn't someone advocate for it in the off season when no one is punching or bumping anyone?

+1 for any send off rule being for non football acts. Stewart's bump was high and late but he hit Prestia with his shoulder tucked in a split second after the contest. Football act, football punishment of however many weeks the MRO/tribunal come up with. If he collected him with a swinging fist to the face or an elbow or just walked up and punched him then that's send off worthy.
Tend to agree.
But need to clearly define what a football act is.

Stewart jumped off the ground away from the play and collected a defenseless player in the head concussing him.

I’m all for keeping Stewart on the field as the rules are now. Although I’m not sure I could hand on heart say Stewart’s play was a ‘football act’

But if the intent of the rule would be to get rid of gutless sniping acts that are highly likely to injure a player off the ball, I’m all for that. As long as the action is clear cut. We can’t bring in a rule like this for a bump on a player with the ball or a late spoil that hits the opponents head. Because of the way it could be adjudicated I don’t think it will ever come in.

The sub could be any type of player and the issue would still be there. If you get a situation where a team's best player gets knocked out, then they have to replace them with their 23rd best player. That's a major disadvantage brought about because the opposition didn't play fairly.

It's happened once and the last really bad instance was 3 years ago. Honestly no. I don't want umpires having more influence. Teams can cover a player's loss anyway, I mean Richmond should be used to it considering Prestia is injury prone. We hear this every time there is a major incident and really it won't and nor should it be changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back