Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a collision and a non deliberate action. We're talking about a split second when a player has made a non bdleiberate mistake. He is a fair and great player. The hysterics with this sort of thing sours the game more than the incident itself, the player has admitted to his mistake, he will cop a penalty. Leave it at that. The real problem is the game itself has already been forgotten and it was one of the best of the season. Footy fans love drama more than the game.
If you introduce a send off rule you are expecting umpires who are under enough pressure to adjuidcate something that will be bring even more scrutiny. It won't take long before players will be sent off for spitting on the ground. It will get out of hand. Andrew Gaff was a deliberate king hit, a completely diferrent action. I know opposition fans want to see Stewart hanging from the nearest yardarm, particularly Richmond duspporters who are still smarting from the loss, but the hysteria has to stop, no one is denying that Stewart will cop a penalty, but he doesn't desrve life for it!
Perhaps we don't put the decision in the umpire's hands? Maybe we have an MRO watching the game who can look at footage and assess it if the victim is ruled out with concussion?

It would probably only happen once a season when there is a really obvious high and deliberate hit like today.

You can say it's not deliberate, but if a player elects to line an opponent up with a bump it is considered as such — much in the same way as if a player goes to punch someone in the chest and mistakingly gets them in the chin.

He didn't, it was in play
This quote from the man himself should clear up any confusion:

I've just made a horrible error and I feel terrible about it. I ran past the ball and I chose to bump, I didn't mean to do it but gee it was terrible execution and I'm going to pay the price for it

It was a collision and a non deliberate action. We're talking about a split second when a player has made a non bdleiberate mistake. He is a fair and great player.
I agree. Take the emotion out of it for a sec.

The impact was intentional as he ran past the ball to make deliberate contact to a player without the ball. He hit him high in the head and the contact was severe as it concussed him. The guidelines suggest 4+ weeks but straight to tribunal.

Don’t worry about contrition or good guy, bad guy talk. Just look to the rational and assess against the guidelines.

It sounds like Tom will take his medicine too, as he’s quite remorseful. Hopefully his statement to the MRO reflects this as well and he doesn’t try to fight to downgrade the charge.

Thanks for confirming the ball was there, as I stated, therefore it cannot be a red card offense.
Well there’s no such thing as a red card offence so we are arguing the toss really.

Stewart hit Prestia with no intent of contesting the ball. That’s the current definition of an ‘off the ball’ incident. Which If they had a red card for, should be the first criteria they look to.

Thanks for confirming the ball was there, as I stated, therefore it cannot be a red card offense.
There's a difference between the ball being there and both players contesting it.

The ball was there when Ty Vickery chose to punch Dean Cox instead of it in a ruck contest. I'd still call that a send off offense.

Tend to agree.
But need to clearly define what a football act is.

Stewart jumped off the ground away from the play and collected a defenseless player in the head concussing him.

I’m all for keeping Stewart on the field as the rules are now. Although I’m not sure I could hand on heart say Stewart’s play was a ‘football act’

But if the intent of the rule would be to get rid of gutless sniping acts that are highly likely to injure a player off the ball, I’m all for that. As long as the action is clear cut. We can’t bring in a rule like this for a bump on a player with the ball or a late spoil that hits the opponents head. Because of the way it could be adjudicated I don’t think it will ever come in.

I see it a bit like soccer. A bad slide tackle is a bad slide tackle and the punishment will vary, but tugging a player's shirt from behind should be an automatic yellow regardless of whether you've already got one. Basketball has similar with flagrant 1 and 2 fouls.

I do find it odd that footy as a sport has send off rules, but the AFL as a comp does not.

One thing I don't want to see is footy become like rugby. The number of red cards the referees are instructed to hand out now is ridiculous.

Perhaps we don't put the decision in the umpire's hands? Maybe we have an MRO watching the game who can look at footage and assess it if the victim is ruled out with concussion?

It would probably only happen once a season when there is a really obvious high and deliberate hit like today.

You can say it's not deliberate, but if a player elects to line an opponent up with a bump it is considered as such — much in the same way as if a player goes to punch someone in the chest and mistakingly gets them in the chin.
I just think we have 36 players running around in all directions playing a contact sport, there is bound to be collisions. Do we stop the game for another video review? Just let it go, no need for a send-off rule. Stewart will get a penalty, he's remorseful for it and he did not intentionally go out to take Prestia out of the game. We have rules for it, let those rules take their course, one thing that worries me is the hysterics associated with it all. It's amazing to me that footy fans complain about the rules, they then want more rules when something happens not to their liking? I barrack for Geelong, it's annoying that he will be missing for at least 2 or 3 weeks, i accept that, but some people are out of control wanting some sort of crucifixion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there’s no such thing as a red card offence so we are arguing the toss really.

Stewart hit Prestia with no intent of contesting the ball. That’s the current definition of an ‘off the ball’ incident. Which If they had a red card for, should be the first criteria they look to.
people keep saying this, but Prestia tapped the ball on a split second before Stewart got to him, it's not like it was 30 meters off the ball like when Houli punched Lamb in the face, knocking him out and breaking his teeth

I just think we have 36 players running around in all directions playing a contact sport, there is bound to be collisions. Do we stop the game for another video review?
Agree 100%. Make it just for the obvious ones.

This initiative will never happen as they will stop the game and review everything just like goal reviews.

But if they used common sense, there would only be a handful of obvious send offs each season. And acts like Stewart’s where a player is concussed with a forearm to the face not contesting the ball should be one of them.

Oh come on. I said in the post that Geelong played well and deserved the win.

In any other sport if you cleaned someone up intentionally you'd get sent off. In the real world you'd get locked up for it.

Concussion is a serious issue. CTE has most likely played a part in us losing blokes like Shane Tuck and Danny Frawley. We can't have s**t like this in our game any more. This isn't the 1980s.

And the game isn’t played like the 1980’s these days, completely different. The facts are, at the end of the day this is a contact sport and concussion is going to happen, you cannot completely eradicate head knocks. The bump is essentially dead, not many players choose to bump, Stewart did today and will rightfully get his lengthy spell.

I just think we have 36 players running around in all directions playing a contact sport, there is bound to be collisions. Do we stop the game for another video review? Just let it go, no need for a send-off rule. Stewart will get a penalty, he's remorseful for it and he did not intentionally go out to take Prestia out of the game. We have rules for it, let those rules take their course, one thing that worries me is the hysterics associated with it all. It's amazing to me that footy fans complain about the rules, they then want more rules when something happens not to their liking? I barrack for Geelong, it's annoying that he will be missing for at least 2 or 3 weeks, i accept that, but some people are out of control wanting some sort of crucifixion.
Who says you'd have to stop the game? You'd just have the player sent to the bench by the umpire, and then have the reviewer confirm that the act was worthy of a send off and rule the player out of the game.

I'd say we have too many rules for petty things like a player stepping over an imaginary line, but not enough rules to stop players from getting seriously hurt by dangerous and deliberate acts.

No, it was a bump and your team lost. Get over it.
We lost because you smashed us around the ball in the first quarter and a half. The result of the game isn't the point.

It's the fact that a team can gain an advantage by deliberately knocking out one of their opponents players.

Yeah, Stewart might get 4 weeks or so, but those four weeks don't start until the following game. Prestia's time out of the game starts from the moment he is hit.

Last edited:
I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we need a send off rule in the AFL.

Taking nothing away from Geelong — they played well today — but I do find it really hard to stomach when one of their players intentionally takes out one of ours (arguably our most important) and then goes on to be best on ground.

I believe that any high bump or strike that is clearly intentional (not contesting the ball) and results in an opposition player being taken out of the game with concussion should result in the offender being sent off and their team having to play out the game with 21 players.

A few incidents come to mind that should have resulted in send offs:
  • Dangerfield's hit on Jake Kelly last year
  • Andrew Gaff's hit on Andy Brayshaw in 2018
  • Steven May's hit on Stefan Martin in 2016
  • Tyrone Vickery's hit on Dean Cox in 2014

I'm sure there are a few others too.
especially a hit on a bloke off the ball, and still up in the air

these are the genuinely cowardly ones, until you actually land on the ground you really have no chance to brace for impact

Stewart timed it beautifully moving upwards to contact the head of Prestia coming down to the ground

like an uppercut in boxing, devastating.

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we need a send off rule in the AFL.

Taking nothing away from Geelong — they played well today — but I do find it really hard to stomach when one of their players intentionally takes out one of ours (arguably our most important) and then goes on to be best on ground.

I believe that any high bump or strike that is clearly intentional (not contesting the ball) and results in an opposition player being taken out of the game with concussion should result in the offender being sent off and their team having to play out the game with 21 players.

A few incidents come to mind that should have resulted in send offs:
  • Dangerfield's hit on Jake Kelly last year
  • Andrew Gaff's hit on Andy Brayshaw in 2018
  • Steven May's hit on Stefan Martin in 2016
  • Tyrone Vickery's hit on Dean Cox in 2014

I'm sure there are a few others too.
Barry hall

Oh come on. I said in the post that Geelong played well and deserved the win.

In any other sport if you cleaned someone up intentionally you'd get sent off. In the real world you'd get locked up for it.

Concussion is a serious issue. CTE has most likely played a part in us losing blokes like Shane Tuck and Danny Frawley. We can't have s**t like this in our game any more. This isn't the 1980s.
I reckon a sin bin could be a good idea. Red card for 20 mins and you have to play with 17 players during that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back