Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

No we don’t ‘need’ any rule changes for the short to medium term. He made a poor decision mid game, give him 3 weeks and move on.

In any other sport if you cleaned someone up intentionally you'd get sent off. In the real world you'd get locked up for it.

Let me know if you actually believe that because I’m amused. Im sorry for your player but is that a joke?

If I did to you on-field what TS did to DP nothing would happen. If I cleaned you up on the streets then I’d get my just desserts and rightfully so.

Ones a footy accident and what you’re talking about is complete dog act

We lost because you smashed us around the ball in the first quarter and a half. The result of the game isn't the point.

It's the fact that a team can gain an advantage by deliberately knocking out one of their opponents players.

Yeah, Stewart might get 4 weeks or so, but those four weeks don't start until the following game. Prestia's time out of the game starts from the moment he is hit.
Oh so its revenge you are after because of an undisipline act to help your team then actual punishment and deterrent

I think we do need a send off rule the incidents like this don't happen much so it won't be used all that much.
Have a video umpire inside the ARC to review "red card" worthy incidents their will probably only be 1-2 incidents a year that warrant it.

But when it does happen.. it's so unfair for the team that loses the player while the offender gets to stay on and possibly be bog.

We are complaining that umpires are impacting the game too much with ify 50 meters decisions. Can you imagine if they start sending off players that should not been sent off?

If there is to be a send off rule then don’t give the power to the umpires. Have Game Review Officers on the day study the video if a severe blow causing injury was intentional or not. Then they relay it to the head ump who in return sends the player off.

But no, I don’t want the send off rule in the AFL.

Do we need a rule that teams play home games at their home ground and not the opponents?
Do we? No one had a problem with it until the 2017 qualifying final.

Send off rule.... settle down

yes for a king hit behind the play...not for a bump like Stewarts... it was high...free kick is enough.

Can you imagine giving these Karen umpires now days the power to send people off... * the game has gone vanilla enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, and not even close to being a sending off. There have been exactly two incidents in the last 15 years for which a player should have been sent off if there was a send off rule, Barry Hall and Andrew Gaff.

You know what happens if you bring in a send off rule? The very first game, the first kick inside 50 to a pack of 6 players, all 6 players go down claiming to have been king hit by an opponent trying to get someone sent off. The first quarter would run an hour with constant mass staging at every single contest, and the rule would be removed mid match it'd be such a joke.
Your point would be better made with a bit of exaggeration.

I mean Cotchin knocking out Shiel in the final a few years ago swings and roundabouts
Cotchin should have had a week for that. It had a significant influence on the outcome of the prelim.

You could make a compelling argument both ways on this one..

Richmond were unfairly disadvantaged from Stewart's intentional act yesterday. Fairness is a critical component of any compeitive sport and rules designed to make a sport fairer can only be percieved as positive changes.

The counter argument is that the umpires/AFL would most likely make an absolute mess of the rule. The rule would end up drawing more controversy than the acts they are designed to punish. Plus the "tradition / leave the game the way it is" lobbyists.. but I'm guessing most of these people can't stand watching the modern game anyway.

/thread.

We don't need another rule which requires an umpire's interpretation, we have too many as it is.

You see the arguments every week in BF's Gameday threads - that was HB, no it wasn't, how can that not be HTB?

Imagine if a send off was ultimately found not guilty, if it was a factor in the match' s result?

We don't need another rule which requires an umpire's interpretation, we have too many as it is.

You see the arguments every week in BF's Gameday threads - that was HB, no it wasn't, how can that not be HTB?

Imagine if a send off was ultimately found not guilty, if it was a factor in the match' s result?
It would only be used for the most obvious incidents.

It was a deliberate, high and late hit which cost Richmon the game. Stewart allowed to stay on the field and be a dominate player while Prestia is concussed and can't play for the rest of the game. Not sure about send off's or sin bins but AFL must send a message for dog acts like this and be a long penalty.

Community football has the red and yellow card system.

A Yellow Card is given for any player that is reported for an incident against another player. This results in being sent off for 15 minutes. The player can accept a pre-determined suspension or face the league tribunal.

A Red Card is given for either a 2nd Yellow Card offence, or a serious incident usually against an umpire or opposing official. The player is sent off for the remainder of the game, and is sent straight to the tribunal.

In both cases, a player that is sent off cannot be replaced.

This system could be introduced at all levels of Australian Rules football.

Community football has the red and yellow card system.

A Yellow Card is given for any player that is reported for an incident against another player. This results in being sent off for 15 minutes. The player can accept a pre-determined suspension or face the league tribunal.

A Red Card is given for either a 2nd Yellow Card offence, or a serious incident usually against an umpire or opposing official. The player is sent off for the remainder of the game, and is sent straight to the tribunal.

In both cases, a player that is sent off cannot be replaced.

This system could be introduced at all levels of Australian Rules football.
Is 15 minutes enough though when the victim is out for the rest of the game?

No thanks.

Incidents where a player is knocked out of the game are very rare compared with the number of players taken out of the game through injury or other issues.

It's unfair in this situation but the Tigers still had 22 out there.

The can of worms on how many others would get send off just makes it not worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back