Do we want to win???

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take Hird, Chris Grant, Newman, Fyfe, Swan etc. thanks.

Try and pick what they all have in common? And you can drop Fyfe from that list if you want cos he was as high as a second round pick (oops I just gave away the answer).

Try and pick what they all have in common? And you can drop Fyfe from that list if you want cos he was as high as a second round pick (oops I just gave away the answer).

Maybe you ought to do the next Tiger draft picks...:p:D...

Priority Picks for me...

Lol this is by far the dumbest argument going around in this thread. Obviously it is possible to pick up gems late, although it is getting harder....but here a list of some players taken in the top 12:

Lenny Hayes, Pavlich, Corey, Glass, Riewoldt, Didak, Burgoyne, Hodge, Judd, Ball, Bartel, Dal Santo, Goddard, Wells, Mackie, McIntosh, Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, Deledio, Roughead, Griffin, Franklin, Lewis, Murphy Thomas, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Clark, Higgins, Hurn, Gibbs, Luenburger, Boak, Selwood, Reid, Brown, Frawley, Kruezer, Cotchin, McEvoy, Dangerfield, Rioli, Nic Nat, Hill, Hartlett, hurley, Yarran, Rich, Vickery, Ziebell, Davis, Sidebottom, Scully, Trengove, martin, Morabito, Rohan, Butcher, Lucas, Swallow, Bennell, Gaff, Conca, Heppell, Prestia, Gorringe, Lynch...

Make no mistake the lower the pick the higher chance you have of getting that quality player your speak of. Especially in a shallow draft. Just because you can find 5 players throughout the history of the draft that were taken late barely proves your theory correct.

2007 - Cotchin Rance
2008 - Vickery Post Nahas
2009 - Martin Griffiths Astbury Dea Webberley Nason
2010 - Conca Batchelor Grigg Houli Helbig MacDonald Derickx

Over the last 4 drafts we've picked up the above players, the one in italic are still to prove themselves but have time on their side. Underlined were players we traded in who have established themselves in our best 22. Add Deledio Foley Tuck Jackson Riewoldt & Edwards and its fair to suggest that we are in a much better position than what some suggest we are.

Have a look at the Pies Cats Blues Hawks Eagles lineups and have a look at how many truly high picks these clubs have playing in their best 22's heading into the finals this week. It would be highly unlikely that they would have any more than what we do at the moment and yet posters are suggesting that we still need to bottom out and get more high end picks to be able to compete with these sides.

Like I have asked over the last couple of days how long do we continue to rack up these high end draft picks before we start trying to make a move up the ladder?

2007 - Cotchin Rance
2008 - Vickery Post Nahas
2009 - Martin Griffiths Astbury Dea Webberley Nason
2010 - Conca Batchelor Grigg Houli Helbig MacDonald Derickx

Over the last 4 drafts we've picked up the above players, the one in italic are still to prove themselves but have time on their side. Underlined were players we traded in who have established themselves in our best 22. Add Deledio Foley Tuck Jackson Riewoldt & Edwards and its fair to suggest that we are in a much better position than what some suggest we are.

Have a look at the Pies Cats Blues Hawks Eagles lineups and have a look at how many truly high picks these clubs have playing in their best 22's heading into the finals this week. It would be highly unlikely that they would have any more than what we do at the moment and yet posters are suggesting that we still need to bottom out and get more high end picks to be able to compete with these sides.

Like I have asked over the last couple of days how long do we continue to rack up these high end draft picks before we start trying to make a move up the ladder?

The list above shows that we have managed to get our first rounders correct lately and we are building a strong, talented list. When you add another Pick 12-18 & 30-38 to that, we should realistically have another Best 22 player to put in the side.
I think that after the 2012 super draft, we will go up the ladder significantly. In 2012, majority of posters would want to see us make the final 8. I think realistically we can finish anywhere from 6-12. This will give us a first round pick anywhere between #7-13. Once you add another pick at ~24 and again at ~32. We have the capability of picking up 3 players in the top 32 in the country in one of the strongest drafts in the last 10 years.

Therefore, after the 2012 draft we could have technically added players to our list with pick 7,12,24,30 & 32 and we would have only really lost Tuck, Miller and maybe Newman and King.

I have big expectations for 2013..

didnt we get Rance with 18?

dont really mind what pick we get just who we get during trade period

I am happy because I think it will be the difference between getting a gun mid and an average one and that means eventually...NO MORE DANIEL JACKSON!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losses are annoying in the short-term but there's positives.

Those clearly not up to were exposed once again. Hopefully the coaches woke up to themselves.

We get a pick 4 spots higher in the draft in every round for a game no one will remember in a couple of weeks. Disappointing Melbourne couldn't beat Port though to make that 6 spots. Hopefully one of Grigg, Buntine, etc is still there.

Would think melbourne would go KPF anyway so there pick won't matter. GWS could also go structural after grabbing mids early.

Losses are annoying in the short-term but there's positives.

Those clearly not up to were exposed once again. Hopefully the coaches woke up to themselves.

We get a pick 4 spots higher in draft in every round for a game no one will remember in a couple of weeks. Disappointing Melbourne couldn't beat Port though. Hopefully one of Grigg, Buntine, etc is still there.
Its nothing to do with the draft picks, that has me pissed off tonight, as I've got enough confidence in our recruiters after the last couple of drafts that they will get it right.

Its to do with the things we need to do to become a better side that we simply couldn't do that is annoying. The poor defensive work, which should get better over summer is one thing. At times we completely stuffed up our press which allowed the Roos to get easy goals. The other problem was not making the most of our inside 50's. From memory we clearly had more than the Roos and yet got done because they were able to make the most of them. Apart from that I thought we had the best of it in terms of around the ground play.

Yeah well, all of that has been a problem all year. Some weeks more prevalent than others.

On the inside 50's - All year we've just bombed the ball in long, high and in hope. Part of the reason is poor users like Jackson and Tuck but even our better ball users do it too. Obviously a coaching directive. This has to change. All the better teams hit up short targets for easy shots on goal (North did it a lot today hence why they were efficient) we have to scrag on the deck for most of ours or hope for a miracle contested mark amongst a sea of players.

Also the forward structure isn't the best, I'd still prefer to play only the traditional 2 forwards and give Riewoldt and Vickery room to work in to do their thing. Miller is just surplus. May work with Griffiths who is not as slow but not so sure.

Its nothing to do with the draft picks, that has me pissed off tonight, as I've got enough confidence in our recruiters after the last couple of drafts that they will get it right.

Its to do with the things we need to do to become a better side that we simply couldn't do that is annoying. The poor defensive work, which should get better over summer is one thing. At times we completely stuffed up our press which allowed the Roos to get easy goals. The other problem was not making the most of our inside 50's. From memory we clearly had more than the Roos and yet got done because they were able to make the most of them. Apart from that I thought we had the best of it in terms of around the ground play.

We have too many players who just dont run back hard enough and rely on too few.

We need to stamp it out over the preseason starting monday...... :mad:

Astbury,Grimes,Newman,Griffiths,Conca,Batchelor Will all improve our side a massive amount specially with the fact that all these players are good disposers of the ball.

Thats a quater of the side, Plus if you add into the equation a proper ruckman & another 1 round Mid Thats 8 players that will replace 8 of the side that played today.

Would of preffered the win !!

Same. The most gutted i have been all year after a loss, but in two months time i will be happy as this will be a memory.

Makes you wonder how the players view it. Gutted now ... Yes... Great game, not embarrassed, pre-season looks exceptionally bright... tomorrow morning after the hangover life is still very rosy (apart from what santa thinks)

All in all a great year of development by Dimma and crew. For the first time in 30 years i see it happening.

Same. The most gutted i have been all year after a loss, but in two months time i will be happy as this will be a memory.

Makes you wonder how the players view it. Gutted now ... Yes... Great game, not embarrassed, pre-season looks exceptionally bright... tomorrow morning after the hangover life is still very rosy (apart from what santa thinks)

All in all a great year of development by Dimma and crew. For the first time in 30 years i see it happening.

Certainly is !

Things/Positives to come out of 2011

Vickery , Rance , Batchelor , Conca , Grimes , Nahas , Houli

Things to look foward to in 2012

A Ruckman , Another inside mid , Running med defender (Morris)

anyway i promised myself i would not get into this debate again as all it does is go round in circles and in the end does your head in. i reckon ive made my position clear and made what points i wanted to make.

Yep, and thanks for making them—I don't agree but I respect your passion for the club and have no doubt you want to see the Tiges holding up our next premiership cup as much as I do.

Watching the game tonight, I thought we looked like the 12th best side, not the 9th.

I tipped Melbourne to take the draft pick over the win and was not disappointed.

Yeah well, all of that has been a problem all year. Some weeks more prevalent than others.

On the inside 50's - All year we've just bombed the ball in long, high and in hope. Part of the reason is poor users like Jackson and Tuck but even our better ball users do it too. Obviously a coaching directive. This has to change. All the better teams hit up short targets for easy shots on goal (North did it a lot today hence why they were efficient) we have to scrag on the deck for most of ours or hope for a miracle contested mark amongst a sea of players.

Also the forward structure isn't the best, I'd still prefer to play only the traditional 2 forwards and give Riewoldt and Vickery room to work in to do their thing. Miller is just surplus. May work with Griffiths who is not as slow but not so sure.

Great post...Have always thought the same. We bomb too much blindly; too much kick and hope; not enough run & spread and efficient low passes to leading targets. If we're really serious of ever playing consistantly in finals, Tuck & Jackson cannot be a part of our midfield. Grigg is only meh too; another plodder with very average footskills. We need more class and outside run to help out Cotchin, Martin & Foley. Deledio should be moved into the midfield next year, and with Conca hopefully taking a big step and playing good footy for us in the middle, should see us more efficient and better equipped through the midfield going forward.

GO TIGES!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back