Do you think this group will win another premiership? When will our window close?

Will we?

• Yes/probably

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • No/probably not

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
By 'this group' I'm thinking before the core of our middle aged (by footy standards) and senior players go over the hill or retire. Hurn and JK are over 30, Shuey, Jetta, NN and I think Schofield is late 20s, Gaff, Gov, Yeo, Darling, Barass, Shep in their prime. We have a very promising emerging young squad too

We challenged in 2015, and brought home the bacon in 2018. Most seemed so surprised, but I think the signs were there, and statistically most teams that win 10 in a row go on to play in the grand final.

Look I'd be happy even if 2018 was the only one from this 'era' or 'generation.' Many great sides, like Geeling from 89 to 95, and St. Kilda 09-10 didn't even get one, but I do think we certainly have the potential to win another. My gut actually tells me we probablt won't go back to back, though I really hope I'm wrong and my gut is sometimes wrong, but I have a funny feeling 2020 will be our year. I hope NN has a massive season, and our young players will be even more experienced. Our veterans will be even better. Get Kelly and/or another elite mid and we could be a scary proposition if we tweak a few weaknesses.

Do you think we'll fall off when Hurn, Kennedy, NN retire? Or stay up there? By up there I mean contending for flags. Course it's hard to say, and no one really knows. Will our window shut anytime soon?

Maybe a tad premature, but dammit, I'm pumped. Maybe it makes me feel better looking forward if we don't make it this year lol.

But yes, we're still in it this year. I feel if we somehow win this year a 3 peat isn't out of the question if the hunger is there.

triplegee

All Australian
May 13, 2003
Bangkok, Thailand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool; Perth Wildcats
Lots needs to go our way but do we have the pieces in place??

Absolutely yes.

Our age profile combined with the talent on our list suggests we have what it takes. As this year has shown, the bulk of the challenge lies above the shoulders.

Bring in Tony Robbins and the 3-peat is on.

Swarhily

All Australian
Aug 4, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
76ers
We'll be in serious contention for the remainder of their time. Either way a club like ours with a strong culture and support base will always be in the mix or at least building to be in the mix, I just don't see us bottoming out for too long like post-drugs scandal era again for a long time.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If you want an answer to that question you have to look at their replacements.

Short term:
Jk: Allen (proven)
Hurn: Rotham

Medium term:
Jetta: Watson (untried)
Nic Nat: Williams (untried)
Schofield: Duggan?
Shuey: M Allen? (untried) Kelly?
Cripps: Cameron

Personally I think the above replacements just need game time before they are flag ready but the immediate future looks bright.

Reckon we will win another flag next year and another in 3 or 4 years if the above players are elite and we replenish our midfield.

Last edited:

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
If not this year I'm confident for next year. NN gotta stay fit. Window open for a while. Strong backline and forward line... Lots of xfactor
and we'll get stronger with Kelly.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been thinking about this a fair bit lately.

List management has knocked it out of the park. We have a list that should finish top 4 for the next four years.

If you take out everyone 29 years or older, this is what our core group of 'established'
(able to hold a spot for majority of season) players looks like

FB Sheppard Barrass Nelson
HB Duggan McGovern
C Redden Sheed Gaff
HF Cripps Darling Waterman
FF Rioli Allen Ryan
R Hickey Yeo

In the backline, we have blooded Watson, Rotham, Allen and Cole (more than blooded)

In the midfield hopefully we are adding Kelly and Hutchings is in if tagging. Outside of that Ainsworth is a possibility, Venables might make a move there. Perhaps Duggan might transition back to midfield. The rest are unblooded.

Forward line. Holy crap.... this team does not include Petch and Cameron. Or Williams and Brander.

There are AA and premiership players all through that list. Players who have tasted the ultimate success and still have many playing years left.

The future looks bright my friends.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Our best 22 needs to keep evolving. But if you look at our starting line up yesterday it's a strong group that has been playing well.

Rioli, Schofield and Masten are certain changes. JK needs a good honest look at his ability to go on in 2020 as well. Form suggests he's cooked and should retire. I'm not convinced this spin that he's been playing injured/underdone and 2020 will be back to his best.

Hutchings 2019 was poor, would like to see his spot in the best 22 replaced by a developing midfielder. Don't think we'd lose much tbh.

Rioli, Masten, Schoey, JK and Hutchings possibly.
TKelly, Venables, OAllen & Brander in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
If not this year I'm confident for next year. NN gotta stay fit. Window open for a while. Strong backline and forward line... Lots of xfactor
and we'll get stronger with Kelly.
You just know it's our year next year otherwise we will have to wait until 2030🙄 Won the flag in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018 so going by the even numbers theme and keeping the equasation going, it's 2020 or 2030😁 Take your pick!

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Window still open
If there's a silver lining, a tough end to the season like that should give us something to atone for in 2020. We're at our best when trying to prove ourselves. Get a good preseason in and we can challenge again, need Kennedy and Hurn to stay injury free.

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
By 'this group' I'm thinking before the core of our middle aged (by footy standards) and senior players go over the hill or retire. Hurn and JK are over 30, Shuey, Jetta, NN and I think Schofield is late 20s, Gaff, Gov, Yeo, Darling, Barass, Shep in their prime. We have a very promising emerging young squad too

We challenged in 2015, and brought home the bacon in 2018. Most seemed so surprised, but I think the signs were there, and statistically most teams that win 10 in a row go on to play in the grand final.

Look I'd be happy even if 2018 was the only one from this 'era' or 'generation.' Many great sides, like Geeling from 89 to 95, and St. Kilda 09-10 didn't even get one, but I do think we certainly have the potential to win another. My gut actually tells me we probablt won't go back to back, though I really hope I'm wrong and my gut is sometimes wrong, but I have a funny feeling 2020 will be our year. I hope NN has a massive season, and our young players will be even more experienced. Our veterans will be even better. Get Kelly and/or another elite mid and we could be a scary proposition if we tweak a few weaknesses.

Do you think we'll fall off when Hurn, Kennedy, NN retire? Or stay up there? By up there I mean contending for flags. Course it's hard to say, and no one really knows. Will our window shut anytime soon?

Maybe a tad premature, but dammit, I'm pumped. Maybe it makes me feel better looking forward if we don't make it this year lol.

But yes, we're still in it this year. I feel if we somehow win this year a 3 peat isn't out of the question if the hunger is there.

Hurn and Kennedy and Schoefield i think will retire at the end of 2020. Those guys will be hard to replace. Nic Nat signed a 3 year contract so he will retire most likely in 2022.

Josh Rotham and Francis Watson are young and will come in as regular defenders, although Lewis Jetta is contracted for 1 or 2 more seasons i think. Matthew Allen should be given some games in the midfield and if he can become a solid contributor, it will take the heat off shuey, yeo and gaff.

But yeah i do worry that when our senior players get too old thats where the team will fall off a cliff. JK, Hurn Schoefield, NN will eventually be pensioned off.

Brisbane and Hawthorn won 3 in a row, and it is very rare for teams to go back to back. Richmond in 2018 could have, and they had one bad game against Collingwood and couldn't win 2 in a row.

The good thing is i got to see my team win 4 grand finals in 7 appearances which is a damn good strike rate. Collingwood have played in many granny's but lost many of those

Last edited:

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It all depends on the definition of the term ‘this group‘ .
However, I have confidence we have the ability to win the flag in 2020 with some adjustments.
1. Midfield need to contest harder. It can be done by injecting Venables, Duggan, and possibly Kelly into the midfield. (Or even consider O Allen as big body mid).
2. Our intercept marking skills are good but need to improve on contest marking abilities.
3. A quicker, bigger and stronger tagger (we might be able to find one or two matured body in the WAFL for this purpose)

Last edited:

Gods_Son23

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd & Melb Vic
We should definitely be up there again. JK is the only player who seems to be slowing down. With the equalization it more than ever comes down to injuries/doping suspensions and who is peaking at the right time.
Rioli is going to be a big loss though imo. He makes things happen and sees things others don't see. :mad:

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Am still in a moody fug after that disappointing season's end!?
Quite possible for 2020. Stiff competition now.
Coaching and team need a re-set.
Got some talent. Got champagne skills.
Need to buy some muscle and grunt...and some blue-collar shirts!
Otherwise it all depends on the luck of the bouncing oval ball...and the victorian footy gods!?

Last edited:

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If all goes well and we have a good run with injuries i think we can make top 4.

With any sort of luck, if we win our 5th flag it will be a good time for kennedy to go out

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Next year is still an opportunity to add #5. I think after next year we will see our list turn over a little more. How the club manages that will determine whether we are still fight for top 2/4 or in the lower section of the 8. If we can keep this main group together and plan for life after Bunga/JK who know how long our window could last.

Back