Do you think this group will win another premiership? When will our window close?

Will we?

• Yes/probably

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • No/probably not

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
After 2020, Hurn and JK will likely to be phased out, and then all of a sudden we have a 31 year old Luke Shuey and Nic Nat will also turn 31 in 2021.

Too bad there is no super draft like in 2002 where so many good players came into the system like Luke Hodge, Chris Judd, Sniper Ablett and more

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Number #1 issue is our defensive strategies because they killed us this year. Number #2 issue is that against top sides our midfield wasnt up to it - big bearing will be how NicNat and hopefully Kelly go.
Number #3 issue is that there's no way Allen is ready to play FF. Lets pray JK has been carrying a fixable niggle and isnt cooked.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think there is broad recognition inside the club/supporter base and in AFL community that we made this one harder for ourselves and under performed. Currently we are 2nd favourites in betting for the flag in 2020. Article below doesn't provide any new information, but I think sums up where we are pretty nicely.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6393046/afl-flag-window-remains-open-for-eagles/?cs=14238

"Eagles coach Adam Simpson said he was disappointed to see his team bounced out in the semi-finals this year.
But he didn't see the season as a waste, pointing to the individual improvements made by a number of players on the list, as well as others who made their debuts and could press for more game time in 2020.

There will be no premiership hangover for West Coast to contend with next year and anything less than a top-four finish should be rated as a let down."

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Number #3 issue is that there's no way Allen is ready to play FF. Lets pray JK has been carrying a fixable niggle and isnt cooked.
He doesn't have to play the same way JK does. You'd imagine Darling continues as the more stay at home forward in JK's absence. I'd also argue there were times this season when JK was out or on the bench where our forward line functioned better, because the team didn't bomb it at the pack that forms around JK instead working the ball in through different methods.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Not sure about winning another premiership as its difficult but we should be able to stay there abouts for at least a year or 2.

After 2006 we lost 2 brownlow medallists and weren't compensated for one of them. We also had some retirements and older players falling away. Our forward line was very average too so without the superstar midfield we struggled.

Our current forward line and defence is still good with players ready to come in like Rotham, Watson, Cole, Duggan, Brander, Ollen and Cameron.

If we can get Kelly it will bolster our midfield. No doubt there would be some players we are looking at to replace Mallen, AhChee etc to help our depth there also.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I reckon 2020 we’re still in with a good shot. Bit less pressure and hopefully not as tough a draw as this season. If we get Kelly, Nic Nat stays fit, Cameron plays alongside Ryan, and we continue to pump games into Waterman and Allen, we’ll do well. Have to get top 2 to make the GF, and there’s a fair bit of luck that goes into that, so you never know. I’m confident we can do it next year though, and going forward without JK, Allen, Waterman and JD, with our flock of smalls, will serve us well.

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
Fishing 6th we would get an easier draw ?

Nope. Still in the highest block of 6.
5 double ups from 2-3 top 6, 1-2 middle 6, 0-1 bottom 6.

Assuming we get Kelly, we'll definitely play Cats twice. Thinking Tigers as well.
Freo obviously takes care of the bottom six group.
We tend to get an Adelaide side, so that means Port in 2020.
The last double up I'm tipping to be one of Dogs, Giants, Norf.

We definitely leaked a lot of goals this year. Other sides put a lot of work into us and we got exposed repeatedly.

Did we rest on our laurels when thinking about our defensive structures? The number of times we did all the hard work and then let the opposition out with a simple kick to 40m out straight in front for a shot on goal was criminal.

Having said all that we were percentage off 4th and a handful of points off 1st. It's hardly doom and gloom.

I think this group might have got the spur they needed this season to knuckle down and go hard in 2020.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah it’ll still be a top 6 draw, but you’d hope we’d get maybe only 2 from top 6, 2 from middle and one from bottom 6. Considering we finished 6th, rather than 1st like last year. Maybe we’ll get our last 7 games at home like another team that finished first the season before........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I can’t see Nic playing a full season ever again tbh, he’s just so injury prone.

But I do think that this group is good for another flag even beyond this year.

I hope you're wrong, Nic Nat is the key

All going well this pre-season there should be no excuses, we have to get him fitter and running out games better

This caper of us all making apologies for his fitness, when we all know deep down it could be much better, has to stop.

As far as I am concerned, if our high performance team can't get his fitness much, much better this pre season, they need to be sacked

No more excuses, no more "he's being managed", no more of him playing half a game every week: get him fitter, more mobile, and lighter

We do this, and our premiership window remains well and truly open for the next few years

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I can’t see Nic playing a full season ever again tbh, he’s just so injury prone.

But I do think that this group is good for another flag even beyond this year.

I hope he gets a full pre-season of training. That might help strengthen his body and get him a little leaner to minimise the impact on his lower body.

I know we won without him last year, but gee I'd love to win it again with him on the field

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We can contend, but only if we get good seasons from our core group, Hurn, Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Shep, Darling, Turbo, Barass and add Kelly.

All going well this pre-season there should be no excuses, we have to get him fitter and running out games better

This caper of us all making apologies for his fitness, when we all know deep down it could be much better, has to stop.

As far as I am concerned, if our high performance team can't get his fitness much, much better this pre season, they need to be sacked

No more excuses, no more "he's being managed", no more of him playing half a game every week: get him fitter, more mobile, and lighter

We do this, and our premiership window remains well and truly open for the next few years

He plays at 114kg. It's very simple, he needs to lose 9kg and play at 105kg. This will mean less stress on his body and more game time. He loses some strength, but who cares? He will still be stronger than most of the league.

If i was giving him a pre season program it would include alot of boxing training - and not from some muppet PT or Physio who has done a course, but with an actual legit trainer. Will slim him down, but keep explosiveness and send fitness through the roof.

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
It was a good kick in the ass this year. Hopefully the players now see how a season can be pissed away so easily ;)

So many games we switched off where we should have gone on with it. I understand that load management comes into it, but we suffered from some poor "switch offs".

On the bright side this group has a solid core in their primes with some nice players coming through in Allen and Cameron.

With a decent fixture, limited injuries and a bit of luck we can be at the pointy end. We need to protect the home turf and snag a few wins on the road. I'm still seething that we lost to the Pies and Hawks at home.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Drop him 10kg stat

I think 2020 we’ll be thereabouts again. Most of the core group is intact and the age isn’t too much of a concern bar the following:

Hurn - a few soft tissue concerns this year. That calf concerned me to no end and his form did taper away. Hopefully he can produce another year like the past 2 but he is definitely one to watch for mine.

And JK - can very much see a reduced schedule for JK in 2020. Perhaps even a mid season retirement shenanigan if a long term injury occurs. It will be sad to say goodbye when the time comes.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think 2020 we’ll be thereabouts again. Most of the core group is intact and the age isn’t too much of a concern bar the following:

Hurn - a few soft tissue concerns this year. That calf concerned me to no end and his form did taper away. Hopefully he can produce another year like the past 2 but he is definitely one to watch for mine.

And JK - can very much see a reduced schedule for JK in 2020. Perhaps even a mid season retirement shenanigan if a long term injury occurs. It will be sad to say goodbye when the time comes.
Rotham has looked completely ready to step in every time hes been called on.

Of course he isnt shannon hurn but weve been doing soldier out soldier in for the last two years - we can get by

Jk is going to be the difficult one - and more importantly the jk / oallen / resting ruck / nn equation.

Back