Do the West Coast Eagles win another game in 2023?

Do we win again this year ?

• Yes

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 56.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We cant do that. We have no zone to recruit players from which means no young players allocated to the team. We are resigned to picking up players from the ammo's after the other WAFL clubs have had their scouts take players.

Actually the eagles zone is all of Australia which is where most of the players come from.. they also exceed the salary cap most weeks when they play so what’s your solution to that.

It doesn’t need to pay for itself or die.

It needs to pay for itself or play nice.

Can’t obstruct and generally * with the person who pays your salary at every opportunity and then wonder where it all went so wrong when they cut you loose and you can’t keep the lights on.

WAFL is a league for old people who saw it when it was relevant, and friends/family as you’ve identified. Not exactly a growth market, so maybe come to the table instead of being scared of the big bad Eagles wanting a fair shake at the expense of both of East Perth’s members being slightly offside.

Eagles had a deal with East Perth, the old guard kicked up a fuss. Eagles try to do a deal with Perth, the old guard kick up a fuss. Eagles say they’ll pull out of the comp, the old guard kick up a fuss because they need our cash. Eagles field a team crippled by WAFL list management restrictions and have to field an amateurs side (and unrelated to the WAFL and in no way their fault coincides with the worst managed injury program in memory at AFL level), so the team is a walking bye. Nobody wins at all.

Anyway. Will we win another game this year? Statistically yes, in reality probably not, would love to beat Essendon though it would make me laugh. Enjoy the thread folks.

The Eagles can go play in the VFL if they like. Wont change how much money the Eagles give their owners the WAFC. its the WAFC cash not the Eagles.
Every alignment has not worked for some reason, when will the Eagles take some responsibility for that.
And I agree that some of the restrictions are a bit tough but that was put in place with the thought pattern that a professional run football club like the Eagles would not be so poorly run and operated at so many levels. Sort your own backyard out before you start pointing blame every where else.
And again, no WAFL players from other clubs want to play for the Beagles. they want to play for a club that wants to win and enjoy success.

Freo had host club arrangements with Souths which worked reasonably well. The arrangement with Peel is undoubtedly better though because Peel were more open - lack of history etc etc - to working with Freo.

Perth, you would think, should be similarly open. East Perth's experience with West Coast was not a happy one and that may be informing Perth's reluctance, but you would really have to think something should be worked out to everyone's benefit with WCE and Perth.

Maybe when you finally move Nisbett on and get more in step with the times things might change in that regard.

A vague sense of dignity and not being a complete basket case?

More wins the better - loser clubs play for draft picks.

Rather have the draft picks. Everyone forgets the s**t years if you win a premiership (Richmond, Melbourne). Late season dignity wins is what clubs like Carlton and Fremantle get.

We can safely win a game and get #1. We need a win to lift the morale going into the pre season. My concern is that there is some sort of acceptance of the circumstances, perhaps goung as far back as the HUB whinging (but lets not go there). This dosent sit well with a quicker recovery.

1686864682806.jpeg

Last edited:
Perth, you would think, should be similarly open. East Perth's experience with West Coast was not a happy one and that may be informing Perth's reluctance, but you would really have to think something should be worked out to everyone's benefit with WCE and Perth.

I think the issue is Perth are the Carlton of the WAFL, only without the recent success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather have the draft picks. Everyone forgets the s**t years if you win a premiership (Richmond, Melbourne). Late season dignity wins is what clubs like Carlton and Fremantle get.
Nah, losing culture runs deep. Melbourne were trash for 12 years. Carlton trash for 21.

Our run home in 2009 went 4-1. Should we have thrown the towel in instead? That run included one of my all time favourite H&A wins, the top four Bulldogs at Etihad.

Nah, losing culture runs deep. Melbourne were trash for 12 years. Carlton trash for 21.

Our run home in 2009 went 4-1. Should we have thrown the towel in instead? That run included one of my all time favourite H&A wins, the top four Bulldogs at Etihad.

Lol - Dogs 13.19 to 16.6 . Bad kicking is bad football. A bit like how we beat the Pies last year.

What I loved with watching that is how we had a few vets still performing (Glass, Wirra, Embers, Lynch), very few mid aged players (Lecca, Hurn?) And a bunch of young guys (half of which turned out to be stars and half were duds like: Swift, Wilkes, Wilson). Shows how it can turn pretty quickly once you get the youth in and confidence up.

Personally think that stuff is over-stated. Melbourne were trash for so long because they had a terrible coach and awful off-field administration, not because they had a losing culture. New coach turned it round (with help from AFL).

Carlton are trash because they still think it's 1988.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I would be happy for us to see growth in our young guys and if that meant that we were good enough to win a couple of games than I would be more than happy. If we were to win games on the back of Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Gaff, Darling and co playing out of their skin I don't really see the benefit.
I think at this stage the gap between pick 1 and the rest of the pack is significant enough that we can't really lose if we hold it regardless of taking Reid or waiting for other clubs to climb over the top each other to get pick 1.

Lol - Dogs 13.19 to 16.6 . Bad kicking is bad football. A bit like how we beat the Pies last year.

What I loved with watching that is how we had a few vets still performing (Glass, Wirra, Embers, Lynch), very few mid aged players (Lecca, Hurn?) And a bunch of young guys (half of which turned out to be stars and half were duds like: Swift, Wilkes, Wilson). Shows how it can turn pretty quickly once you get the youth in and confidence up.
Hurn would've only been 21 that year. Lecca maybe 22?

It is amazing how many spuds were part of that. Also Embley was a God winger in his prime.

How good was Bunga in that clip.

Time dulls the memory of just how missile like his kicking was.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :thumbsu:

Back